Paris to Geneva train

Sep 6th, 2005, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Paris to Geneva train

Is it necessary to buy tickets in advance for a Saturday afternoon train from Paris to Geneva? Also, what is the best way to get from CDG to Gare de Lyon? My first time there, so I am expecting to be overwhelmed. Are any of the signs in English?
Nancy
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM

I would take a taxi from the airport to the train station (most straight-forward & least overwhelming option).

I would buy a ticket at the train station (but would have checked ahead so I knew the schedules & different types of train options available for that route).

Sometimes signs are in several languages, most often not. But you don't need to speak French to understand simple words and concepts (like where to line up for the taxi or to purchase a train ticket).

Stay calm, don't freak out (truly I mean this kindly that's my best advice when you are traveling and in a situation new to you).
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:33 PM
ira

Hi np,

The best way to get from CDG to Gare de Lyon is, as noted, by taxi.

It is also the most expensive.

See www.ratp.fr for directions on the RER and metro from Aeroport Charles de Gaulle to Gare de Lyon.
Sep 6th, 2005, 01:39 PM

Air France has shuttle buses to the Gare de Lyon for 11.5 euros.

Whether or not you need to buy tickets in advance is somewhat dependent on the date of travel, but generally speaking I would think no.

No, signs are in French, except for STOP signs and TAXI signs.
Sep 6th, 2005, 03:37 PM

Hi Nancy,
Have you considered taking a flight from Paris to Geneva.
I'll be doing this in a few weeks and found it was about half the price of the train ticket, and a lot quicker.
FYI Easyjet fly from Orly to Geneva three times a day.

Lesley
Sep 6th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Are you spending time in Paris? Or flying in to CDG only to continue on to Geneva by train?
Sep 6th, 2005, 05:04 PM

npiazza,

Sounds like you're just passing through Paris en route to Geneva. (Hard to believe.)

OK....You can do this. If so, try and book reservations on the TGV from Lyon to Geneva (Lausanne) ASAP. The longer you wait, the more expensive the fare will be on that route. Just like airlines.

I would recommend taking an Air France shuttle from the airport to Gare Lyon. (We took it the other direction.)

Also, you should check out the suggestion of taking a flight out of Orly to Geneva. There is a one-hour shuttle bus that runs from CDG to Orly, so that might solve all of your problems.
Sep 6th, 2005, 05:06 PM

Upon further review...

...I think the best thing to do is to check out that Orly-Geneva plane. If it is an evening flight, you can take a shuttle into Paris, have a nice dinner, and then taxi south to Orly (it's closer than CDG) for the evening flight out.