Train from Gare Montparnasse.
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:11 AM
ira

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Denise,

Train schedules and prices are at http://www.voyages-sncf.com/

Old Jan 14th, 2005, 09:57 AM

The ride is about 1 hour each way and the Cathedral is about a 7-10 minute walk from the train station. If I recall, a train leave Paris (Gare Montparnasse) each hour on the half hour - we left at 10:30 in plenty of time to catch Malcolm Miller's noon tour - well worth catching!
Old Jan 14th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Malcolm Miller - nice tours but when we got there he sized up the dozen or so of us gathered for his tour as too little to bother with. Stinking of wine, he haughtily said that at his advertised price of 50 frans (before euro) that 'i have better things todo' and unless you pay 100 francs each i will do them! What a bastard - if you advertise a tour at a price you don't have folks wait for it and then suddenly demand more - i took the tour as i have several times and enjoyed it but was put off by this ploy - very unprofessional in my opinion.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:03 AM

I went to Chartres cathedral in the off-season and there was no Malcolm Miller to be found. IMO, who needs him, anyway?
Purchase a guidebook about the cathedral and conduct your own self-guided tour.
The town of Chartres itself is worth spending time. Roam around the narrow twisting streets and have lunch. Next time, I plan to spend the night.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 05:21 AM

We greatly enjoyed Mr. Miller's tour--it is now 10€. He formerly did not charge a set fee, allowing tour members to pay what they wanted at the end. But some paid nothing so he began charging a set fee. You will never see the windows or the sculptures or the history of this great cathedral as effectively as through a guide.
He is often not in Chartres, touring and lecturing in some parts of the year.
Our tour was not much more than a dozen I would have to comment--you need to begin to gather a bit before the times (I think 12:45 and 2:45) because there is a cutoff number. And if you take the early tour AND the late tour, he asks in order that he can cover a different aspect of the many facets of this treasure.
His schedule (of being gone from Chartres) may be available on a website if you google. Idon't have it handy.
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 06:58 AM

HI DeniseQW,

My family took the train this past Dec. 27 from Paris to Chartres and loved the cathedral and the Miller tour.

Mr. Miller charges 10 Euros per adult , 5 Euros for children. The tour was extremely well organized, entertaining and informative. He uses a wireless microphone with wireless headsets. He amazed my children with his delivery and knowledge.

I think the train ticket was 20-25 Euros roundtrip. When I go again I will allow enough time to take the Miller tour(maybe twice),visit the underground crypt of the cathedral and walk around the city. The cold weather when we there curtailed our plans.

==Mike
Old Jan 15th, 2005, 07:03 AM

It is very easy -- you can buy your ticket from a machine or from a ticket window. Many of the trains arfe accessed through gates like the metro, requiring a metro type ticket. If you have a standard train tickret and need to get through the gate the person at the info booth will give you a metro-like ticket. In any case COMPOST -- validate whatever ticket you have -- it took me about 10 minutes to rescue some non-French speaking tourists, who had gotten confused by the medssy set-up, from the clutches of a conductor who wished to fine them for failing to compost.

When you arrive in Chartres walk out the front of the station and look up -- you won't need any further directions