Paris to Berlin Travel

Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris to Berlin Travel

Just impulsively grabbed opportunity to extend business trip in Paris to include three day weekend in Berlin. Will be traveling from Paris to Berlin on Friday Apr 30 and depart Berlin for home in States on Monday. International flights are set but I now need to arrange one way transportation from Paris to Berlin and would appreciate your thoughts on:
• Is a train practical? Are there preferred ways to research and book intercity train trips like this?
• If we decide to fly is this opportunity to try one of the low cost airlines? If so any suggestions on which one to take?
Thanks for your help.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Check www.whichbudget.com for low-cost intra-Europe flights.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 04:17 PM

We took an overnight train from Paris to Berlin. The German train was quite new and we had an attached bathroom/shower for our double compartment. The elaborate Parisian dinner we packed was part of the fun. The train wasn't cheap but we didn't have to pay for a hotel or deal with airports.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 04:28 PM

If you go to bahn.de you will see all of the trains available. There are numerous trains throughout the day - with a discounted price of 39 euros if you buy in advance - that take about 8 hours. The overnight trains are obviously very much more expensive (5 to 10 times as much) and they take 11 or 112 hours.

If it were me with only 5 days I would fly - but then there's no way I would sleep on a train overnight.
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM

for a short time you have..fly airberlin!

http://www.airberlin.com/site/abflug...G=eng&MARKT=CA
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 07:22 PM
yk

Fly fly fly!!!
Old Mar 27th, 2010, 09:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I, on the other hand, would take the night train. See http://seat61.com/citynightline.htm for info on the accommodation and how to buy tickets. The train will be city center to city center, and you offset the transport cost against the cost of a hotel room. Besides, I looked at the Air Berlin schedules, and assuming you're working during the day you wouldn't get to Berlin (airport) until 11:00 at night.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:06 AM

Airberlin may not be the only option - there are other airlines.
Tegel airport is not far from the center of Berlin.

The OP was looking ( on another thread ) for luxury hotels in Berlin - the cost of hotel may not be an issue.
It is all individual, but I would not spend 8 hours on a train if they paid me.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:23 AM

As you say, it's all individual. I've spent a lot more than 8 hours on a train and nobody paid me - my RTW included 17,000 miles by train. An overnight on the Paris to Berlin train in a sleeper would not be hardship - especially since you'd spend most of it asleep. I'd be in a couchette and still expecting to sleep. Now, if you're thinking of a regular seat, I wouldn't sign up for that either.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your input. Since we have never experienced train travel we have decided the "allure" of the night train is more than enough to overcome to significant incremental cost associated with train versus air travel (even factoring in hotel + air cost).
Now that we have decided upon rail the question becomes which line? Our ideal scenario – a private sleeping room with our own bath/shower. Dinner and cocktails included or at least available in some type of dining car or bar car. Does this exist, or am I just remembering old movies….?
I have been to the website and spoke with Rail Europe people and must admit I was less than impressed. Appears we can get the private room but they were very unclear on dinner and cocktails.
Is the company Euro Railways different than rail Europe?
Would appreciate any recommendations based on our stated interests.
Thank you again.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 06:04 AM

Cool! Sounds like you need a deluxe two-bed sleeper (there are two of you, right?) See the link I posted above for pix and info on food. Looks like you can get drinks and breakfast, but need to take dinner on board with you.

Rail Europe is usually the most expensive way to go. Try bahn.de
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 06:24 AM

Definitely check bahn.de. The website IS available in English too:

http://www.bahn.de/i/view/USA/en/index.shtml

It looks like your trip will be on a CNL (City Night Line) which would depart from Paris Est at 20:30 and arrive in Berlin Hauptbanhof at 8:59. (That's 12 h and 39 m by the way). You should have plenty of time to sleep and can reserve the deluxe double (looks like about 330 euros per person).
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 06:38 AM

330 euros??? Wow - seat61.com says booking in advance you should be able to get a bed in a two-bed sleeper as low as 89 euro.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 07:01 AM

I double checked the bahn.de website. 93 Euros gets you a normal seat. The rate for a bed in an economy double is 149 Euros. 199 Euros per person for a deluxe double. That's what I'm getting on bahn.de. Those are special rates. I previously quoted the normal fare.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 07:03 AM

You have to be careful about which overnight train you book. Ours was a German train, which we booked before leaving at no extra cost, through a travel agent in Germany since we couldn't figure out how to get at it here. It was expensive but not to the tune of 330Euro per person. Breakfast was served but we brought our own champagne, wine and dinner which we happily assembled in Paris.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 07:12 AM

www.voyages-sncf.com has it for 198 euro too - I think the problem may be that it's only a month away. The best rates are available further in advance than that, and sell out.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 07:25 AM

And on the other hand, Airberlin's current fare for the 1.5 hr flight is 56.95 Euros per person.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:32 AM

"Does this exist, or am I just remembering old movies….?"

I think you ARE remembering old movies like "North , Northwest" or "The Orient Express"
I took an overnight train only once and did not sleep at all because of the motion and the noise.
Again, not everyone's experience.
Give me a comfortable hotel bed any time!
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all again – your comments are helpful. I now have some homework to do in selecting Rail Company to utilize. Your comparison is a bit unfair Woyzeck. That 57 Euro price is without taxes and service charges which brings the charge to 90 Euros, before adding for luggage. Then of course there is the extra hotel room night required if flying. Anyway, as I indicated above, we have already decided that even though flying may be more efficient and somewhat less expensive, the "allure" of the night time train ride is worth something to us.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:45 AM

You're absolutely right, Ajolder. I normally don't miss the added fees etc.

I understand the allure of the trip. There will be plenty of time for you to rest on the train and when you wake up, you can have a coffee and watch the Germany countryside go by as you head towards Berlin. It sounds very nice and when you factor in the stresses of air travel and locating a hotel, I can see why you would choose to do it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -