Paris - the beginning

Search

Paris - the beginning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris - the beginning

We will be arriving in Paris on October the 13th for thre days and nights. Although we have done quite a bit of research, it's still humbling knowing that vastness of Paris and the extensive history with it's museum's and attractions knowing we can only scratch the surface in such a short period of time.
We are staying at the hotel le petit in the Latin Quater. I was hoping to get an itinerary hitting the major sites and recommendations for tours, restuarants etc. Has anyone experienced the hop on hop off tour in Paris and would recommend it ? Also, will it be to cold for a cruise at night in mid October ?
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Many people swear by the HO-HO buses for a first visit to a big city. They did not yet exist when I started visiting big cities, so I have not actually ever used one. But if you want to save money, you can buy a Paris Visite pass and hop on and off all of the municipal buses at will.

There is indoor seating on the cruise boats, so it only gets cold if you want to be outside. And then <b>you</b> only get cold if you don't have appropriate protective clothing.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM

I haven't taken that hopon, off bus but if you don't know a city at all, I find those kind of things can be fun and relaxing, as in any city. It's kind of expensive, though, I'm more interested in that as a one-time overview drive around a city than using it all day, but you can.

Some of those cruise boats have inside areas with windows, but of course you can't see quite the same way. It's up to you about whether it is too cold, it's about the same weather as where I live and I do things outside in October at night. You'd just have to be dressed right with a good jacket, no doubt. It will probably be in the 40s at night (F) or 5-10 C.

I think Fodors might have a typical highlights itineary for first-timers, if not, Frommers does a good job of that (ie, if you have one day, if you have 3 days, 5 days, etc., I like those itineraries).
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 12:48 PM

Did the HO-HO the second day we were there. Gave me a sense of where things were (perspective) and how was I going to get to point A to point B. And, what I might have to cut out. For the money, I thought it was worth it.

Remember, for 3D / 3N you are not going to see everything. Be selective, be flexible, be relaxed.
Old Sep 23rd, 2010, 02:06 PM

Yes, 3 days will not be enough, but it's better than nothing. I would recommend at least one organized tour: maybe one that includes a batobus as well. Here are several suggestions:

http://paristours.france.com/paris-day-tours.php
http://manstouch.com/travel/tour-051.html
http://fattirebiketours.com/paris

I did the Fat tire bike one at night---awesome. Riding my bike around in the Lourve courtyard at 9pm was magical.

If you root around on Fodors you will find many other tour suggestions. I always wanted to do the HO/HO option both times I went to Paris, but found I didn't have enough time to do it as I created my own must see lists. I did the one in NYC and it was ok--took up a lot of my day when I'd rather be in the site looking around vs on the outside. Something to consider. At least with a guided tour, many places you will get off, get some dialogue then get back into the van/bus on to the next stop.

We did a boat tour in the middle of Oct during the day and it was cold and rainy (and we sat inside). So it may be a bit chillier at night, but if this is the only time to do it, sit inside and go for it (just dress in layers) and have a cocktail/coffee if they offer it.

Since you are staying in the Latin Quarter, on day 2 hit up the best things to see in that area and on day 3 pick one cool site (say, Pere Lachaise cemetery) in the morning to visit, something farther away from your home spot, then walk/travel/ride the metro back and just meander till you get home. This is a great way to be casual with a purpose. You never know what kind of shops/experiences/restaurants you'll see along the way.