Search

Paris tea rooms

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:38 AM
Adrienne

Paris tea rooms

When you go to a tea room like Angelina, are you seated by a host or can you just choose a table? Do you order your tea and pastry from a counter or a waiter? If its from a waiter, how do you know what the pastries are called?

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:59 AM
laurie

Adrienne<BR>My recollection is you get seated by a hostess &amp; the order is taken by a waitress but they either have a glass case as you walk in to peruse the choices or some other way to see the choices. Their hot chocolate is famous.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 04:28 AM
Patti

Hi,<BR><BR>Speaking of tea rooms in Paris, has anyone had tea at the Mosquee de Paris? I've heard the room is very beautiful. Does anyone know if they're open in the winter? (I'll be in Paris in March.) Thanks.<BR><BR>Patti

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:23 AM
xxx

Patti, is there actually tea service at La Mosquee de Paris (the Paris Mosque) or is there a separate tea salon called La Mosquee de Paris? (I've heard that there is a good tea salon near the Mosque called Le Hammam de la Mosquee, 39 rue Geoffroy Saint-Hilaire, 5eme.)

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:25 AM
hanl

Patti, I've been many times to the tea room by the Paris mosque. It's on the corner of rue Daubenton and rue G. St Hillaire, opposite the entrance to the Jardin des Plantes, rather than being actually inside the mosque. And yes, it is open in winter. You can choose whether to sit indoors or walk through to the covered terrace area (much prettier) where there are gas heaters to keep everybody warm in winter. There's a little shop at the back selling Moroccan style gifts and knick-knacks. The waiters pass by with trays of sweet mint tea which you order by the glass (used to be 10 francs). In the entrance hallway is a counter where you can purchase little cakes. Delicious! It's a lovely place to sit and people-watch, or just read.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:49 AM
kav

I was going to answer but the post above is spot on...<BR>The prices are very good and the staff friendly and it's certainly a pretty place to stop for refreshment.<BR>We stopped when we'd finished walking down the Rue Mouffetard - we made sure in advance to start at the right end to allow us to do so.<BR>It is really part of the Mosque complex, though not I think of the main mosque building, and has a separate entrance to the main mosque.

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:52 AM
Patti

Thanks hanl and xxx!<BR><BR>Now I know why there wasn't any information about it on the Mosque's website. <BR><BR>Patti<BR><BR><BR>

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 05:54 AM
Patti

Thanks to you too Kavey!<BR>You snuck in while I was posting!<BR><BR>Patti

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 06:00 AM
kate

There is a charming little tea room on the Ille St Louis right near Berthillon on the same side of the street. I forget the name but there is only one there at that point. They serve wonderful pastries and teas and coffees. I enjoyed lunch there on the day we arrived in Paris, a perfect quiche and coffee to wake us up. <BR>Angelinas will seat you and take your order. You have a menu with everything on it and you can see what is in the cases also. One time I just knew what I wanted and asked if they had it. Everything is good! Enjoy!

Old Nov 13th, 2002, 03:29 PM
Sue

The signature dessert of Angelina is the Mont Blanc, a confection of meringue, chestnut puree, and whipped cream; delicieux!

Old Dec 2nd, 2009, 04:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's a list of tea rooms in Paris here:

http://www.makegoodtea.com/tearooms-of-paris