Search

Paris taxis

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris taxis

I've been getting differing opinions on the taxis in Paris. The cost seems resonable, but a few people have written to say they will not accept more than three in a cab.
Would you think that a taxi as fun an experience in Paris to the metro?
How expensive? Any estimates on the cost from the Charles de Gaulles airport to the left bank of Paris?
Sal
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:15 PM

There are loads of Paris taxis these days that will take 4 people. And there are taxi vans that take even more. It's been quite a few years now since the three-people-only rule was in effect.

Depending on the day and time, a taxi from DCG to the Left Bank will cost about $35-$50.

I don't think of either a taxi ride or the métro as "fun," personally, but I always take a taxi when arriving in Paris because it is just so much less of a hassle.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:16 PM

Sorry, that should have been CDG...
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 02:20 PM

We used Parishuttle last month and were very satisfied. I believe we paid 63E for four people and all our luggage. We were the only people in the mini-van and were taken directly to our hotel in the 6th arrondissement. I liked the idea of a firm price regardless of traffic, luggage etc. I booked on the net, paid on pick up with a Visa card- it was hassle free.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:07 PM

We were in Paris in May 2003, arriving at CDG. I picked up a pamphlet "Guide des Taxis," an official publication of ADP (Aeroports de Paris). It contains the following tariff information: pick up charge 2 euro; supplement for the 4th adult and above 2.29 euro; luggage 0.92 euro per bag.

In March 2002, five of us arrived at CDG, went to the taxi starter and told him we were traveling together. He put us in the next minivan taxi, ahead of smaller groups ahead of us in line.

If, as you say, you are looking for a "fun" experience on the Metro, don't do it with luggage -- especially at rush hour.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 04:31 PM

We have never taken a shuttle, preferring to take the first available taxi at the airport. It is not expensive to cab it into the city.
While in the city, we take the Metro during the day and sometimes the bus.
At night, we get taxis.
While "fun" is not exactly what I would call it, it is an experience and sometimes amusing.
When going to the airport to go home, we have the hotel arrange for the taxi to be there that morning, it is usually a Mercedes and they can hold more people..although it is always just the two of us.
Don't fret, it will be fun
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 05:14 PM

One thing more to what Woody said: when you send for a cab, the meter starts when the driver takes the call.
Old Jul 12th, 2003, 07:07 PM

Last October, our taxi (called by the hotel) cost about 55euro from the Arenes/Monge area to CDG - there was a small charge (4-5euro) already on the meter; also, there is a 1-2euro per bag charge; finally, a tip to add on. The shuttle is more reasonable and predictable in price, but you will need to allow a bit more time for the ride. When arriving in Paris, I look on the shuttle as a 'first view' of the city, and don't mind if we drive around dropping off other passengers; on the day we leave, I am ready to go that morning and don't mind getting an early start to the airport.
Taxi rides are "fun" if you like hair-raising adventures, trust me on this! You should probably try one at least once - it's an eye-opener... I have no problems using the Metro for getting around - quite efficient, just keep your attention on what's going on around you.