Paris / Switzerland help

Search

Paris / Switzerland help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris / Switzerland help

My family (myself, husband, 13 year old, 11 year old) will be going to Paris for 4 nights in August and would like to then take a train to somewhere in Switzerland for 3 nights. Our interests are scenery, adventure, light hiking, fantastic food and great wine. Any suggestions of where to go in Switzerland? Any location / accommodation recommendations would be greatly appreciated (hotel budget of $600 / night or less).

We plan to rent a car when we get to Switzerland and when we leave Switzerland we will be driving up into Germany along the Romantic Road to Frankfurt for our departure back to the U.S. Any recommendations on hotels along the Romantic Road will also be greatly appreciated.
Old Apr 6th, 2011, 07:49 PM

For the quintessential Swiss visit you should go to the Bernese Oberland area. We're going back there in 2 months and taking our children this time as well (ages 8 and 10). We'll be taking the train from Paris and will be staying in Murren. It's everything you could want in a Swiss town and is in one of the most beautiful valleys you'll ever see. Another great town in the same valley is Wengen...it's on the other side. Or you could stay on the valley floor in Lauterbrunnen which might make seeing the entire valley over several days easier due to its central location.
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 01:13 AM

I think you should either fly out of Geneva if you decide to explore the Alps near Mont Blanc since it is the nearest Swiss town to France, or Zurich, if you intend to drive into the Bernese Oberland area which has such glorious natural scenary. Romantic road to Frankfurt plus Switzerland in 3 days? forget it. Way too ambitious and you would miss out on everything along the way!
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 04:56 AM

I guess the previous responders didn't bother to actually read the OP's base note.

The perfect solution is the TGV (bullet) train from Paris to Lausanne. Lausanne is on Lac Leman (Lake Geneva), and within easy driving distance of many gorgeous cities (Montreux, etc.) and mountain villages. Train from Paris to Lausanne takes about 3.5 hours (no change needed)
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 05:53 AM

Well you didnt address how she could get to frankfurt through the romantic road to fly out of there, signifying that you're the one who didnt read the post. It sounds way too rushed for me, but may work for you! have a great time Jean
Old Apr 7th, 2011, 06:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
First of all, does the OP know about the drop charges which would be involved in terms of a car rental pick-up in Switzerland and returned to FRA?

As to GETTING to Switzerland, I would agree that a TGV to Lausanne or Bern or even Geneva would work and depending on exactly what the OP has in mind I am not sure a renatl car would even be NEEDED in Switzerland, ESPECIALLY if the plan is to spend a few days IN the Bernese Oberland since there isn't going to be a lot of driving above Interlaken.

Romantic Road? get the train from Switzerland to somewhere like Munich and rent the car THERE.