Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

New to Travel Talk. Need Help W/Trip to Switzerland.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:29 PM
ginger

Dear Fodor Followers:<BR>I am so impressed with this site. A bookstore owner recommended it. I have read &amp; read and to be honest. Am still confused. I want to go to Switzerland this summer. Never been outside of US in my life. Don't speak anything but Spanish. I was thinking of spending one night in Paris since so many people thought it was so special. Then maybe take a train to Bern?? and from there I just don't know. I want to go to the small towns and take the Glacier Express, take the lake boat and all the wonderful things everyone recommened. I only have 9 days of travel so would someone help me with an trip plan? I am going crazy!!!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 12:50 PM
Greg

Ginger,<BR><BR>You will get many opinions about what to do, but you will need to decide what is right for you. You can start by searching for the thread about the people who love Switzerland, but here is my opinion.<BR><BR>If you want to go to Paris you must stay longer than a day. Three is the least amount of time to spend to experience Paris. Pick some sights to see and enjoy your time there, then head to Switzerland. I would go to Lucern to start. Then Interlaken and up to Jungfrau to experience the mountains. Then off to Brig to catch the Glacier Express to St Moritz. Then on to Lugano to see some Italian-Swiss country and then you are out of time. <BR><BR>You may want to consider just seeing Switzerland this trip, because 9 days isn't enough time to see both places and really enjoy your first time in Europe. Also, the Swiss speak better English than us, so there is no problem with communication.<BR><BR>That's my opinion! Have fun.<BR><BR>Greg<BR>

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:08 PM
Lisa

<BR>Ginger,<BR>I think you better leave Paris for another trip. Otherwise you may be overwhelmed.<BR> You can easily spend 9 days in Switzerland: For example, 3 days in the Ticino area (Lugano would be a good base), 3 days in the Geneva area, and 3 days in the Bern &amp; Berner-Oberland area (Alps).<BR><BR>Use the train as it is so easy, and probably cheaper than renting a car.<BR>Fly in/out of Switzerland from either Zurich or Geneva.<BR><BR>Most people speak some english - you'll have no problems - Enjoy!

Old Jan 8th, 2003, 01:33 PM
Grasshopper

Ginger,<BR><BR>You will have a fantastic time. I did a similar trip last summer. Here are a couple of options I would recommend:<BR><BR>Fly to Paris and then take the TGV to Lyon (2hour train ride). Spend your first night in Europe having dinner in Vieux Lyon (the gastronomical capital of France). Take the noon train to Geneva (2 hours) and transfer to Montreux or Vevey (1 hour or less) and spend 3 nights there. Do a search on this area to find out about the incredible things to see in the area. A great poster to search for is Swandav who is a Montreux and Vaud enthusiast/expert. Then train to Locarno (4 incredible hours), first to Domodossolo and then on the Centovalli train to Locarno. <BR><BR>Return train to Paris for the last night; dinner along the Seine and drinks at any sidewalk cafe of your choosing. <BR><BR>Just my recommendations. I am sure you will get lots more.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 12:06 PM
ginger

Thank you Greg, Lisa &amp; Grasshopper! Your suggestions are great. Please keep them coming! You don't think I need a call to stop and look at some of the little towns along the way?? Any particular hotels? I really appreciate this!! Ginger

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:28 PM
heidi

Ginger: I vote that you skip Bern, there are much better places to stay in Switzerland. If you really want to experience Switzerland, head up to the smaller alpine villages and then get out and walk in the mountains. Saas Fee, Gstaad, Lenk, Kandersteg, Zinal, Adelboden, etc. etc. are all lovely little towns and much different than being in the valley cities.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 01:50 PM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Ginger, With only 9 days forget Paris. Fly into Zurich and do the Berner Oberland[ the best of the Alps], Luzern, and Lugano and fly home from either Milan or Zurich. That is a great 9 day trip.

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Myer

I disagree with skipping Bern.<BR><BR>It is not only worth the visit but is an excellent place to visit other locations.<BR><BR>From Bern to Friburg (never heard of it? worth half a day), Thun, Lauterbrunnen, Lucerne.<BR><BR>Excellent train connections from Bern.<BR>

Old Jan 9th, 2003, 02:48 PM
Bob Brown

Since 1999, I have started 3 trips to Switzerland by flying first to Paris and then taking the train to either Lausanne or Bern before going to the Berner Oberland.<BR><BR>Each time we first visited Paris for a few days before continuing on to Switzerland.<BR><BR>I have planned my trips so far with the thought that if I don't see something this year, I will go there next trip. So far that has been the case; I have been able to return. <BR><BR>In terms of transportation, it is quite feasible to consider flying first to Paris and then continuing on to Switzerland. However, given the relatively short time frame, one of your two travel objectives will be given too little time for a thorough visit.<BR><BR>The question always arises: &quot;How much time do I need for Paris?&quot; That is a good question, but my estimate is a minimum of 6 days. Of course, the amount of time you spend in Paris is a function of personal interests. I think it also depends on how well you like Paris! I spent 5 days there on my first &quot;modern&quot; trip (I was there first in 1956.), and I have returned twice, including last summer. Despite 3 recent trips to Paris, I still have unvisited places on my list, and two places rank high on my list for a return: the Musee d'Orsay and the Louvre. <BR><BR>Switzerland presents a different picture of course because it is a nation of lakes, mountain scenery, charming cities, and pretty villages.<BR><BR>My own preference is for the mountains south of Interlaken. I also like some of those high valleys that flank both sides of the Rhone River, the ones that lead to Zermatt, Saas Fee, and Zinal. <BR><BR>So far now, I have spent over a month wandering around the Swiss Alps with rainy day visits to Luzern, Bern, Z&uuml;rich, etc. Moreover, I have definite plans to return in September. <BR><BR>So I think you need to assess your travel objectives. You have picked two winners, but they are destinations of a totally different nature. I think your decision now takes on these decision points:<BR><BR>Do you prefer mountain scenery or the urban environment of Paris?<BR><BR>Do you want to focus on one destination, and see the other one as a scouting trip? <BR><BR>Or do you want to attempt a time split that is equal between the two? <BR><BR>Bear in mind that the train from Paris to Lausanne takes about 4 hours. The earliest TGV from Gare de Lyon arrives in Lausanne just before noon.<BR><BR>You would have left several hours of daylight after arrival to go somewhere, like Zinal, and begin to enjoy the mountain scenery. <BR><BR>My suggestion is to consider your time, and don't add any more options. You have enough. Then you can decide just how you want to allocate your time. <BR><BR>I will be glad to augment this discussion with a few facts.<BR>Just ask.<BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 06:07 AM
ginger

Hello again. Thank you so much for the imput again. I guess I thought I could spend a couple of days in Paris and get a &quot;Feel&quot; for it. Some people say its a must see and others say rude people don't bother. My heart takes me to the mountains and small villages. I am interested in the Glacier Express if its a beautiful as people say. I like your suggestion Bob of using Paris as a scouting trip and taking the train to Lausanne then on to Zinal - is there a train to Zinal? I know I'm greedy, but I want to see so much! I do know my main focus is Switzerland. Please augment the discussion! Ginger

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:11 AM
Bob Brown

I can make some suggestions for you to consider. Paris is a major destination, and if you have no immediate prospects to return, I think you would regret bypassing it totally.<BR><BR>Let me suggest this plan.<BR>Fly to CDG and take a taxi into town.<BR>It is a little more expensive but after my last mini hassle with a van, I decided that the money I saved was not worth it. Find your hotel, and set out.<BR>After 3 nights in Paris, head for Switzerland.<BR><BR>My suggestion is to take the TGV from Gare de Lyon to Lausanne. In Lausanne, rent a car and head up the Rhone Valley.<BR>Near Sion, turn south up that winding, spectacular road to Zinal or Grimentz.<BR>The next day head for Stalden, which is at the fork of the road. One fork goes to Saas Fee/Saas Grund, the other to Zermatt. For Zermatt, you park in T&auml;sch and take the shuttle train to Zermatt.<BR>From Stalden drive over the Grimsel Pass to Meiringen, Interlaken, and the Berner Oberland. The four largest towns in the mountains south of Interlaken are Grindelwald, Lauterbrunnen, Wengen, and M&uuml;rren. All have hotels. Wengen and M&uuml;rren are not reached by car.<BR><BR>In this area the most dramatic excursions are to First on the gondola.<BR>(First = ridge), the Jungfraujoch, the Schilthorn, and Stieregg.<BR>Stieregg is a the location of a cafe that sits overlooking the Fiescherhorngletscher, which seemingly is about to fall on you. (It isn't)<BR>The trip to the Jungfraujoch is pricey, but memorable. I suggest taking the walk out to the hikers hut called the<BR>M&ouml;nchjochh&uuml;tte and getting a commanding view in the open of the Grosser Aletschgletscher. Another outstanding viewpoint is the M&auml;nnlichen, that huge ridge that separates Grindelwald from Lauterbrunnen. Cable lifts approach the top of the ridge from both sides. The views from up there are enough to cause you to forget about time.<BR><BR>From the Interlaken area, you can drive back to Lausanne via the train ferry through the tunnel from Kandersteg to Goppenstein, or you could return the car in Bern, or even Z&uuml;rich if you fly back from there.<BR><BR>I am not a big fan of the Glacier Express because I think you can see more, and see it better, by taking a car and walking some of the mountain trails. Nothing gets you up close and personal like some of those trails. <BR><BR>These are just some ideas, but if you want the highest peaks, and the biggest glaciers, visit Zermatt, Saas Fee, and the Berner Oberland. <BR><BR><BR>

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Lee

There are many good suggestions in the previous threads. I spent two weeks in Switzerland in June 2002 and have two recommendations.<BR><BR>First. The highlight of my trip was the time I spend in the Berner-Oberland region aka the Swiss Alps. DO NOT LEAVE SWITZERLAND WITHOUT VISITING THIS AREA. It has the most gorgous scenery I have ever seen. Go into the mountains (by train) Suggest you visit Murren, Grindlewald and other small villages high in the mountains. I stayed in Murren. Terrific. At a minimum, I would spend two days.<BR><BR>Second. Do not waste your time in Paris. Paris is a great city, one of my favorites but save it for another trip.<BR>If it's Tuesday it must be Belgium type of trip is not very satisfying. There is so much to see in Switzerland.<BR><BR>Have a great trip.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 09:54 AM
ginger

Wow! That sounds wonderful! I really appreciate this! It sounds perfect! Now I may be pushing my luck, but would recommend some of your favorite places to stay? Ginger

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:49 AM
heidi

Ginger, Bob Brown is right, it depends on the kind of trip you want. If you like the little alpine villages up in the mountains and want to stay away from tourist traps, definitely go somewhere besides the big cities and the touristy resorts above Interlaken. Murren and that area are over-run with tourists in the summer. Zinal is much quieter and fantastic for hiking and mt.views. There is no train to Zinal (maybe thats why its still nice) but an easy tranfer from the train at Sierre to the post-bus takes you quickly up the valley to Zinal. The Hotel Europa there is a 3-star, but it seems like a 4-star. It just depends on if you are an off the beaten path type or not.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:50 AM
ginger

ttt

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 11:54 AM
ginger

Hi! Thanks for the info Heidi. How do you pack for a trip like this? Do the luggage on wheels work on the trains and buses?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 12:40 PM
heidi

Ginger- take a very small suitcase, travelling light is so much simpler. A quality 22-in. wheeled suitcase is fine, just make sure you can carry it up and down stairs. The distances between train and bus stations and hotels are not much. Usually bus stops are right next to trains. Certainly something anyone without medical problems or handicaps could do. I would also take a small pack which will come in handy in the mts. walking around to carry water, snacks, camera, sunglasses, etc. I take a pretty large pack and use that completely instead of a suitcase, but some people aren't comfortable with the casual look of that. If you want to buy bulky souvenirs, do so and then mail them home. Very easy. If you are going by yourself, train and bus will be much easier and more fun than renting a car. You'll meet people on them and you'll be free to relax. You can get anywhere by post-bus in Switzerland.

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 04:55 PM
Joyce

My husband and I are thinking of the same trip as Ginger - a returen visit to Paris, followed by Switzerland. My question is, what small towns are accessible by train? After driving in the Cinque Terre last year and having a few terrible scares meeting tour buses head-on on curving mountain roads, my husband wants to relax and not step into a car! Any suggestions as to what's do-able?

Old Jan 10th, 2003, 07:16 PM
Bob Brown

I think Switzerland is much easier to drive in. The bus drivers I have seen are quite good at their jobs.<BR><BR>As for small towns accessible by train, I can suggest Kandersteg, Grindelwald, Wengen, and Lauterbrunnen.<BR>M&uuml;rrem is accessible from Lauterbrunnen in two ways: bus to Stechelberg and then cable lift, or cable lift to Grutschalp and trainlet the rest of the way -- 2 miles perhaps.<BR>Meiringen is not really in the mountains, but it is pretty.<BR>Saas Fee is right at the base of the towering, dominating Mischabel Range. It is reached by bus, or car.<BR><BR>Rethink your car idea. We have rented a car every summer (4) that we were in Switzerland and have had relatively little difficulty. One day we drove over the Grimsel, Furka and Susten Passes. More problems with buzzing motorcycles than anything. They went by at breakneck speeds. They did not really threaten us; we just feared seeing the results of a wreck. But probably we would not have. It is a long way down if one of those daredevils runs off the road.<BR>They would be so far below you that I doubt if you would see him or her splat.<BR>

Old Jan 11th, 2003, 04:21 AM
Melanie

Ginger -<BR><BR>I whole heartedly agree with Lee - don't miss the Berner Oberland. This area is a MUST SEE. I've been to Switzerland 5 times and I always find myself back in Wengen and Murren. I've also stayed in Bern, but if the Alps are your objective, I'd bypass Bern.<BR><BR>I highly recommend the Hotel Belleview in Wengen and the Hotel Alpenruh in Murren.<BR><BR>Don't worry about language - English is widely spoken.<BR><BR>P.S. In my opinion, Paris is over-rated. Went once and have no desire to ever go back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -