PARIS - staying on Rue des Bernardins

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4 of us lady cousins are now starting to make arrangements for our 5-day stay in Paris after 2 wks in the South part of France. Our apt. states that we are 1/2 block from St. Germain Blvd., close to market Maubert Mutualite and 7 min. from Notre Dame (across the bridge onto the island). Does anyone have any special restaurants, walks, sites to see within the immediate area. Also, we would like to do an evening Seine cruise and would anyone have recommendations for that. We also would like to spend a day at Versailles.The Skagway idea seemed fun after reading on someone's forum, might try that. Anyway, any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:26 AM

I think the special sites are the Seine and Notre Dame and the quais, as well as the islands. There is a church on that street near bd St Germain, let's hope the bells don't bother you (St Nicholas Chardonnet) in the morning. I stayed not too far from there once and never found any special restaurants. I guess Chez Rene is considered pretty good, I never managed to get there to eat. It's at 14 bd St Germain and is a moderately-priced typical French restaurant.

Of course, the Pantheon, St Etienne du Mont, etc. are near there going to the south. They have organ recitals at St Etienne which are very good, you might check out their schedule if you are interested in that. That is a very impressive church with beautiful stained glass windows.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:13 AM

What's the Skagway? Maybe you mean the Segway tours?
http://www.citysegwaytours.com/
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 04:57 AM

The bittro Petit Pontoise is right around the corner at 9 Rue Pontoise and would be my choice for an eating destination every night. It's very small so you'll do best if you reserve. The trendier, multicultural Itineraries is a few doors away (5 rue Pontoise). I've never tried it, but you might want to check it out as well as Toustem, at 12 rue de l'Hôtel Colbert, just off the river, near Shakespeare & Co. Le Pre Verre at 8 rue Thenard (near the Sorbonne) gets rave reviews for its affordable menu in the great Paris tradition of creativity. Ribouldingue at 10 rue Saint Julien le Pauvre is a fave with critics for its more traditional meat-heavy dishes.

There is an absolute wealth of sites that are less than a 5 mnute walk from your apartment. These include in addition to Notre Dame and the banks of the Seine, the museum Cluny, the legendary bookstore Shakespeare & Co, the place du vosges, and there is a panoramic view of Paris to be had from up top the L'Instituit du Monde Arabe, as well as highly regarded meal and tea at Le Zyriab restaurant , and onto the Jardin des Plantes. If you do visit St. Etienne du Mont, and I highly recommend it, also take time to admire the intricately carved altar screen, one of the most unique in the world.

Rather than a Seine cruise, you might explore simply taking the public Batobus, which can be especially nice at sunset.

http://www.batobus.com/english/8escale.htm
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM

I know the idea of having a meal at Breakfast in America would make some people faint, but we enjoyed breakfast there a few years back. It's on rue des Ecoles near your apartment.

http://www.breakfast-in-america.com/main/

Also nearby on rue Monge is the original location of famous boulanger Eric Kayser. Bread does not get better than this.

http://www.maison-kayser.com/