Paris-staying in the Eiffel Tower area

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 09:49 AM
Alberto

Paris-staying in the Eiffel Tower area

Where exactly in the Eiffel Tower area?
Attention, the Champs de Mars, where the tower is located sort of divides two neighborhoos, one very posh, the other very mixed. So get a clear description of the location of the hotel. Preferably it is better to be nearer the center of the city but then again the Paris Metro (subway) is very good and very easy, so nothing is far. (Taxis are a pain in Paris).

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 12:37 PM
Kristl

Sorry, i should have included this information in my posting. Looks like it's between Avenue Rapp and Avenue Bourdonnais.

Old Sep 27th, 2000, 02:05 PM
Bob Brown

Are you confining yourself exclusively to the triangle formed by Avenue Rapp,
Avenue Bourdonnaise, and Avenue Bosquet?

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 09:17 AM
kristl

Sorry. I'm really new to these postings, and I'm not giving enough information, I guess. I just want to know if anyone has knowledge of this area as to safety. I'm looking at other places to stay, but if this area is safe, as in I could walk from the Metro at 10 p.m. without being scared, I'd like to stay there. If it's not, I'll keep looking.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:02 AM
Bob Brown

The 7th, in the area you describe, is fairly active. 10 PM is not all that late in Paris. If I were staying in that area, I would not hesitate to walk from a Metro station at 10 PM. The 7th as far as I know is one of the better Arrondissements. (But I much prefer Paris buses to the Metro.)
Take a look at this web site for a fairly comprehensive listing of Paris hotels.
http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/75paccue.htm
Of the hotels in the 7th, the Muguet seems to be a favorite among the contributors to this board. I have not stayed there myself, but judging from the comments by many other posters, it must be a good value for the money.

There are quite a few good hotels in the 7th, including the Muguet, which is a top vote getter on this forum. But it is not in the area you specify by a few blocks, but it is in the 7th Arr.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 11:41 AM
Lori

Kristi,
You will be in a safe area. We have relatives that live just off Ave. Bourdannais near Ave. Rapp and it's a fine area of residential and small hotels and businesses (flower shops, cafes, etc.). 10 p.m. is not considered late night in Paris either! The 7th Arr. is a very nice area for walking, people watching, etc. It's very much residential as I mentioned so people come and go about their daily lives which means walking to Metro, going to work,school, shops, etc.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 03:02 PM
Tom

In case you need a recommendation for a great hotel very close to the Eiffel Tower I highly recommend the Hilton. We had the most awesome view of the Eiffel Tower from our window. At night when it was all lit up you felt like you could touch it. (not all rooms have this view so you need to request it) Wonderful service and the rooms are huge.

Old Sep 28th, 2000, 08:18 PM
Donna

Alberto: I think you would find a map of Paris most useful. I cannot imagine why you would assume the surrounding neighborhoods "posh" versus "mixed" (what's that?). As all those neighborhoods are RIGHT in the city, you really can't go wrong. Should you plan to make the most of your time and physical resources during your visit, a combination of walking, buses, the metro and taxis (and they are surely not a "pain" in any way) will serve you well. In spite of yourself, you'll do more walking than you can possibly imagine. Taxis are reasonably priced and efficient for getting home safely at night and for getting to a museum before closing time, and just getting from here to there when you can't possibly walk another step. They're also preferred by many for getting to a really nice restaurant when you're all dressed up. If you wish a "precise location" go to www.pageszoom.com for maps. Not only can you acquire a maps of any hotel and the surrounding neighborhood (with photos), you can "walk" the streets for other offerings in any direction. If your desire is to stay near the Tour Eiffel, anywhere in the 7th, or the contiguous arrondissements should suit your purpose, whatever that is (you didn't mention it). Whether or not it is "preferable" to be "nearer the center of the city" all depends upon your plans. The Paris metro is, indeed, very good and very easy, but it's best to be within a very short walk of a metro station that's on a line that does not require more than one or two correspondences to get where you're going. Whether "nothing" is "far" would depend upon what "nothing" is. Last time I went to the bookstore, there were three dozen or more books relative to staying in and visiting Paris. On our annual trips to Paris, we stay in a positively delightful hotel with all the ammenities at a ridiculously reasonable price in a "posh" neighborhood under two blocks to the nearest metro station and half a dozen or more bus routes. The best place to stay in Paris is one with reasonably sized rooms, for affordable rates, near a metro stop, not too far from lots of bus routes and taxis stands. What exactly are your inquiring about?

Old Sep 29th, 2000, 01:48 AM
francesca

The "Eiffel tower area" straddles of the 7th (posh) and the 15th (more middle class). I live in the 15th and can tell you that I feel totally safe, day and night, including on the metro. In fact, Paris is quite safe in general. You don't have to worry, certainly in comparison with major U.S. cities. Just use common sense: avoid looking like a tourist (see the 10000000 postings on this subject) and be aware of your surroundings.

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 12:05 AM
Patti

Donna-I'd love to know where you stay in Paris as I am planning a trip there next summer. You could e-mail me if you would like. Thank you for your time!
Patti

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 03:25 AM
Diane

I just made a reservation in the 7th at the Hotel LeTourville. It sounds lovely and I have reserved a room with a balcony.

I have seen some good comments on that hotel on this board.

Any futher comments welcome.

Diane

Old Oct 12th, 2000, 07:28 PM
Marilyn

Just a short message about the Hotel Tourville. Be prepared for a very, very tiny room with a view of crumbling builldings, and neighbors' laundry hanging from the adjacent buildings. All this with a reservation made months in advance and very high prices. Maybe you will get a better room and a reasonable price. Marilyn