Paris----splendid as ever!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2011, 09:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Staring down the barrel of an upcoming winter, we decided that what was missing was our Paris "emotional adjustment" High airfares and a roller coaster stock market had made us anxious to commit to another European trip this year.

But Paris called---louder and louder. Last minute accommodations were a challenge, however where there is a will, there is a way.

American Airlines was offering an $800 direct flight from Chicago to CDG saving us $200-$300 per person. WARNING: You get what you pay for! Yes, it was on time. That was the only good part.

Small, cardboard like seats, tiny drop-down old TV's in the center with 2 awful movies and lots of old episodes "The Office" ---Yikes!!! We thought we in a time warp of the 80's. We've flown internationally on many airlines and this was the most uncomfortable flight ever. Never again, next time we'll pay the extra for comfort and up to date, individual TV screens. I did read 200 pages of a good book though.

Arriving in Paris we headed toward the RER.
TIP: As you follow the blue signs to the RER, you'll see several airport and general Paris information booths. Stop at one and buy your RER tickets.

When you go down the escalator and see the endless lines at the ticket counter and machines you'll be thankful that you already have your ticket. We walked right onto the express train and were at St. Michel quickly. The RER is very doable with carry on luggage. If you have large bags it may be a challenge to get through the turnstyles. At 9 Euros each, it beats a 60 Euro cab ride.

After a major search of Apt's on the internet, we found a gem. We had rented from this service before, so we were comfortable dealing with them. We wanted to be on Ile St. Louis which limited our choices, especially last minute. Guest Apt. had nothing until Nov.--another service offered us an apt. for our dates at 640 Euros a night!!!!

http://www.servissimo-paris.com/apar...-paris_EN.html

We chose Apt. #53. The location was across the street from a previous rental and just what we wanted. On the website it looks a bit plain. Our photos are much better. I'll include them soon.

Maurice Godet, the rental agent, greeted us warmly and showed us around. The minute he opened the door we were pleased with our choice. The large living area was warm and inviting with a 14ft. beamed ceiling, huge windows to let in the light, and those 1 ft. thick rock walls that you find in the 400 year old renovated Paris buildings. A walk-in closet, dressing room finished off the first floor.

A spiral staircase led to the loft bedroom and modern bath. Note: the staircase is sturdy but very narrow and the ceiling in the loft is low(about 6 ft.) Keep that in mind. Just sayin'.

The kitchen had a frig, micro wave, cooktop, clothes washer, but no oven or dishwasher. Since all I "cook" is coffee, this was sufficient.

We unpacked and off we went to the flower shop around the corner and the grocery store for coffee, milk, butter, wine, soda, etc. Every morning MDH makes a bakery run for baguettes and croissants (3 within the immediate area.)

Here we were in Paris. A lovely, cool (as it was very hot outside) apt. a little music, a glass of wine, and a short nap after being up for 20 hours.

Still jet lagged we walked to the St. Michel area for dinner. The restaurant we were looking for was closed, so MDH said "One Dish" and we laughed. Many years ago we found "Le Relais Entrecote". We saw a line to get in several nights in a row as we were passing by, so we finally tried it. The person sitting next to me had steak with sauce and FF's. It looked good but we asked for a menu. The server said "One Dish!" For 150 years they have been serving salad with a mustard vineagrette & walnuts, steak with peppercorn sauce, and FF's---nothing else. Always a line, no reservations. We waited about 10 min. for a table and had a tasty meal for about 25 Euros each plus wine & coffee. They have several desserts to choose from.

This was the start of our delightful Paris vacation. When I continue, I'll tell you about the new places and restaurants that we experienced. This was our 8th trip to Paris, so we were wondering if we would find enough to interest us. As it was, the weather was spectacular and all of our new adventures lived up to expectations.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:01 AM

At last! Great start!
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice start....we have also enjoyed the Relais Entrecote for a simple, reasonable meal. They now have one in NYC.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 10:14 AM

Sounds terrific so far! I like your priorities - flower shop first. Looking forward to reading about your new adventures.
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:20 PM

Thanks for starting this report, sorry about all the nagging. looking forward to lots more! Couldn't download the photos of yout apt. On my iPad. Prob, because iPad doesn't "do" flash layered!
but great report so far!
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 12:27 PM

Please, please, finish your report TODAY. I'm leavin Sunday and NEED to hear your report. Great start btw
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 08:39 PM

I LOVE the tip of buying RER tickets from the information booths upstairs, who knew?!
Old Oct 7th, 2011, 09:17 PM

That is a great tip about buying the RER tickets. It's something I always worry about, having no chip and pin CC, and remembering hearing that one had to enough euro coins to buy from the machine.

I will use your tip and trip report for our stay in Paris next month.
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 05:44 AM

Oh, I didn't know you could get RER tix before getting down to the main area...fantastic tip and we will use it in 44 days! (yep, I am counting it down!)
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 07:54 AM
Original Poster

In my haste I forgot to tag this as a trip report so I started a new thread with the orange trip report flag with this first part pasted in.
Old Oct 8th, 2011, 11:20 AM
sap

That is definitely a great tip on the RR ticks, TPAYT. I sure wish I'd known that. I must embed it somewhere in my brain for next time.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 01:09 PM

Wow, at first I thought you had rented for 640Euro/night. Out of my league!