Paris (SNOW?)

Dec 16th, 2002, 08:14 AM
xxx

Paris (SNOW?)

Does it snow in Paris? I never hear about the beauty of Paris covered in snow but yet it seems the city sees it's fair share of precipitation.

Dec 16th, 2002, 08:23 AM
Rex

Well not as much as Montreal (which lies at a more southern latitude, actually) and nothing like Fargo or Minneapolis (even further south), but sure - - there are all those beautiful paintings of Paris in the winter.

Best wishes,

Rex

Dec 16th, 2002, 09:00 AM
kate

Depends really what you call snow. Yes it can snow (but it's never guaranteed from one year to the next) and if it does snow, it'll probably only last for a day or two.

I think you can safely leave your skis at home.

Dec 16th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Christina

I think I've read there may be "official" snow about 10-14 days a year in Paris, it just may not even stick or last long or just be flurries. That's similar to the mid-Atlantic states in the US, like Washington DC where I live. In fact, Paris and Washington have similar temps most of the year except summer. We usually only get snow here a few days a year that amounts to anything. The avg. winter temperature in Paris is not that low, for one thing, slightly about freezing.

Weather, including snow and temps, isn't just a matter of latitude. Europe and North America have different climates at the same latitude and can't be compared that way that well. It seems to me Europe has the weather of about 15 degrees more southern than the same latitude in N America.

Dec 16th, 2002, 07:01 PM
up

topping

Dec 16th, 2002, 11:23 PM
hanl

During the years I lived in Paris it hardly snowed at all (maybe once or twice), and the snow certainly didn't stay on the ground.

Incidentally, as Christina says, it's not really worth comparing weather between cities at the same latitude, as Western Europe is warmed by the Gulf stream which is why it doesn't suffer the same harsh winters as on the American continent.

Dec 17th, 2002, 01:13 AM
BTilke

On a day trip to Paris last March, I saw down for lunch at a cafe in the 5th. It had started to rain when I entered; by the time I left, it was snowing. By the time I made it to Ile St. Louis, it was snowing, sleeting and we had thunder and lightning too! An amazing weather combo. The whole storm passed over in about 2 hours. Paris gets some snowfall each winter, but it rarely accumulates to anything over a centimeter and it usually disappears within a day.