Paris silver shop?

Apr 13th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Tracey

Paris silver shop?

Last year my parents tried to find the Argenterie Des Francs-Bougeron, looking for a Victorian silver fork-and-spoon bracelet as a gift. I'm going to try again - any hints on that shop, or a place I could find something similar??

Apr 14th, 2002, 09:57 AM
BTilke

Tracey, are you absolutely sure you have the spelling right? Is it possible they are really looking for the Argenterie des Francs-Bourgeois? Francs-Bourgeois is a busy shopping street in the Marais near the Place des Vosges.

Apr 15th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Christina

I also suspect it's the shop BTilke cites, which is at 17, rue des Francs-Bourgeois.

Apr 15th, 2002, 06:08 PM
Tracey

Thank you! I'm sure the spelling is NOT correct - having been handed around via email and cocktail napkins for more than a year. ;-)
I'll go to the *correct* place - my parents will be thrilled!

Apr 23rd, 2002, 06:21 AM
aj

This shop sounds very interesting. I checked on the "Pagesjaunes.fr" internet sight and they list #17 Francs Bourgeois
as as shop called Archetype. Is this the same shop? Our hotel is not far from this area. I would really like to shop there but I want to make sure I am looking for the correct store. Any suggestions?

Apr 23rd, 2002, 10:27 AM
Christina

Good question -- it doesn't seem to be listed in pagesjaunes any more so maybe it's out of business. I found the citation on a web site, here
http://www.europeguidebook.com/france/regions/ile/paris/fr_paris_sho_tab.cfm

I also saw it called "Jean Pierre de Castro" somewhere else, a silver shop in the Marais, at the same address (17 r des FB). There are several shops in that building; Archetype is an art or poster shop, not the same thing. If you're nearby, I guess you could drop by and ask if they know where the Argenterie is now, if it's not there.

Apr 24th, 2002, 02:04 PM
Leslie

If anyone knows where the silver shop Jean Pierre de Castro has gone, please post! It seemed to be a "fixture" in the Marais on rue Francs Bourgeois. Then it disappeared. I was told it was no longer in business.

If you are fortunate enough to be in Paris when there is an antique show (there are lots of signs advertising them) you will probably find just what you are looking for. There is one coming up May 8 -20th at Place de la Bastille. I think they also have one there in November. Last October there was a huge antique show all along Grande Armee. Also, the Louve des Antiquaires has a good selection of places that sell silver items. There was a large antique silver shop in the Village St. Paul, too.
Hope this helps