Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: Should I stay on the right bank or the left bank?

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 08:19 PM
Jeff

Last time I stayed in Paris, I stayed on the right bank; The hotel was not nice at all. I would like to stay in a desirable area without having to spend more than $200.00. per night. Somewhere with treelined streets or boulevards would be great. Could someone help me out?

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 09:29 PM
lynn

Greetings - <BR> <BR>$200 a night? No Problem! In fact, I don't think you'll have to go that high. Skip the Right Bank. The Left is Best! <BR> <BR>My recommendation is stay in the 5th (Latin Quarter) or 6th (St. Germain). I would skip the 7th near Eiffel Tower. Lots of people like it but I think it's too far from everything else. Just my opinion. <BR> <BR>Also, stay somewhat, if not very, close to the river. I think that vastly increases the quality of stay in Paris being able to easily wander down by the Seine at any time day or night. <BR> <BR>If you stay in the 5th, stay near Place St. Michel. If you stay in the 6th, look for something near the St. Germain des Pres church. If you do one of these, you will be surrounded by very "Paris" trees and boulevards. <BR> <BR>One day I'm going to try a hotel in the 6th but I usually stay at Hotel D'Albe located at 1, Rue de la Harpe in the Latin Quarter (5th). Last year we got a double in Sept. for $115 per night. We have a great view of the little streets below and the corner cafe. If only the tree hadn't been in the way, we could've also seen the river from our room. Very neat and clean, helpful staff. Highly recommend this place. Ask Julie on this forum. She just stayed there a month ago on my recommendation and liked it very much. <BR> <BR>Any other questions feel free to ask. I have maps and whatnot handy. <BR> <BR

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 12:07 AM
Vincent

Jeff, I would recommend Hôtel Jardins du Luxembourg : it's utterly charming, it's got A/C, close to the famous tree-lined boulevard (Saint-Michel, in that case, in the heart of the Latin Quarter, but the chic one, not the one with kebabs and busloads of German tourists ! ), but in a very quiet dead-end street. A double should be under 1000 F. Their data : 5, impasse Royer-Collard, 75006 Paris. Tél. 01 40 46 08 88 ; fax 01 40 46 02 28. Have fun !

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 03:59 AM
Craig

Why stay on either bank? Try the Hotel St. Louis - 75 rue St. Louis en l'Ille (+33.(0)1.46.34.04.80). The rates are from 775 to 875 Ffr per night. The hotel is on the Ille de St. Louis next to Ille de la Cite. I don't think you can get more central than that. Try the glace/gellati/ijs/sorbet/ice cream across the street.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 01:54 PM
jeff

Thank you Lynn, Vincent, and Craig. Your suggestions are all very helpful and I appreciate your time and effort. Paris is a very beautiful city, but it can be a disappointing experience if it's not planned right. Thanks again!

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 02:45 PM
julie

Jeff -- I have to second Lynn's reply about staying in the Latin Quarter at the Hotel D'Albe. Very exciting and lively area -- close to everything (especially the metro)! Hotel very clean, great breakfast buffet, air conditioned.

Old Jul 21st, 1999, 06:50 PM
lynn

Me again - <BR> <BR>Hey, the kebabs and tourists are part of the charm of that area! Place St. Michel is a great place to stay. I love the excitment and life pulsing through that area of the city. It's great to be able to go right downstairs from your hotel if you can't sleep and have something to eat, sip some cafe, and people-watch no more than 50 feet from your room. <BR> <BR>We've checked other areas to stay in and they never seem very active at night. Besides all the "regular" and wonderful things to do and see in Paris, we love watching everyone wander around wide-eyed seeing everything for the first time around Place St. Michel. It's like watching a kid walk into his first candy store! <BR> <BR

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 05:26 AM
RJD

Several years ago the NY Times ran a series on food and lodging near the Bastille. We tried it and have stayed in that area four times since. It's reasonably priced, cosmopolitan and not touristy. We have stayed at the Royal Bastille on the Rue de la Roquette, but the rooms, except for the suties, are small. Price is about 500 ff per night. There's a cafe across the street, wine shop next door, pastries a few yard away, etc. The essence of city living.