Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Can I drive from Rothenburg to Munich in one go?

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 04:02 AM
Zoe

I'm planning a 10-day trip to southern Germany this October, starting with 2 days in Munich, then driving to Schwangau (1 night), the Black Forest (5 nights) & Neckar Valley (1 night). The last leg will be to spend a night in Rothenburg before driving down the Romantischestrasse back to Munich to fly back to London.

I have found a great deal of useful information about this part of Germany on this forum, but I am unsure whether to do the drive in one go or whether to schedule another overnight stay. If it would be better to stay another night on the Romantic Road, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you!

Zoe

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 04:27 AM
Mary Ann

It is less than a 3 hour drive from Rothenburg to Munich (depending on traffic in Munich). It would seem that it could be made in one day easy with stops. check out the routeplanners at euroshell or cwlease which can prepare detailed trip tics.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 05:19 AM
Zoe

Thanks Mary Ann. 3 hours is fine! I had read that it is a 5 hour train journey which was what got me thinking!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 07:46 AM
kay

Zoe, I note that you have one night for the Neckar Valley. I drove along the Neckar in October and it was sheer delight. Quite untraveled compared to your other routes. Where are you planning to stay? Schwabish Hall is in that valley and is lovely...as is Bad Wimpfen, which is quite tiny.

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 09:35 AM
Nancy

Zoe,

Drove from Rothenburg to Fussen (which is below Munich) in one day. We took the Autobahn though. It was a very quick drive!!

Old Jul 15th, 1999, 11:45 AM
Paulo

The nonstop Autobahn ride from Rothenburg to Fussen should take you around 2:30 hours. From Fussen to Munich over a piece of the Romatische Strasse and Murnau should take about 2 hours. If you intend to visit a castle you should add an extra couple of hours. Therefore, you should allow some 6:30 hours for your journey.

The last time I drove the direct route from Rothenburg to Munich (through Ulm and Augsburg) it took me 2:30 hours.

Paulo

Old Jul 16th, 1999, 04:55 PM
topper

!

Old Jul 20th, 1999, 02:45 PM
Vic

You probably know this but winter begins early in Germany. If you are expecting Indian summer days you may be disappointed.

Old Jul 22nd, 1999, 06:02 AM
Zoe

Thanks for all the replies--and sorry for the delay in responding.

Kay: I am planning to stay in one of the fabulous Neckar Castles. I have narrowed the shortlist to 2--either Burg Hornberg or Burg Hirschorn. Can't make up my mind, they both look so lovely! We will have to economise on our accommodation elsewhere, but a small country inn in the Black Forest will do fine!

Paulo: are there castles worth visiting between Munich and Fussen? I will definitely visit the famous 3 when I arrive (and will stay overnight in the area) but if there's something I should see on the way, please let me know. Oh and I plan to stop off at Andechs to sample that beer!

Vic: I don't mind a cold October--I'm English and used to it!

Thanks again for the replies. The more I read about southern Germany, the more eager I am to go! I can't wait!