Search

Paris shopping

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris shopping

Just wondering if any of you have some out of the way and/or off the wall suggestions for treasure hunting in Paris? I'll be there early November for two weeks and have an uncommon fondness for: old silver napkin rings, small ornate serving pieces; African and Venetian trade beads; antique buttons; and vintage jewelery. I would also like to find an art supply store (preferably wholesale) to buy brushes. Also, any and all recommendations for recent "great finds" anywhere in the city as well as any "avoid at all costs" suggestions. So, hope that's not asking toooo much? If you want to email me directly at [email protected] that would be appreciated, too. And thanks very much.
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:49 AM

For beads

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34439271
Old Oct 26th, 2003, 07:49 AM

Bethany,
This is one of my favorite topics!!!
I'm running out the door....when I return this pm, I'll e-mail.
Til then...happy hunting!!
[email protected]
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:59 AM

Dear Antbee:
We went out to the big flea market Clingnancort and saw a number of shops selling small silver pieces. In the same area of the market I would swear there was a shop selling bin after bin of beads of all shapes and sizes. We didn't stay out there that long, but saw so much that might interest you. We had the help of a guide. He is an American artist. You might want to contact him directly for ideas for shopping artist supplies. He might have ideas for finding art things at a lower cost. Write to Michael at [email protected] He is very nice and I'm sure would answer your questions about where to find art supplies in Paris.
Laura
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:38 PM

There are several fine silver sellers at the Clingnacort Flea Market. I recently purchased something wonderful at "La Puce d'Argent Orfevrerie et Arts de la table". They are in the Marche Vernaison, Alee 1 Stand 34. Many of the other silver places are in that area. With the weak dollar, there are no bargains, but you will find ornate French silver that you won't see at home. I think you will find just what you are looking for and I promise you won't be disappointed!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:12 PM

Hi. Could someone describe the Clingnancort flea market. I know it's "big" but how big? For example, how does it compare to Portobello Road? Is it all inside/all outside, etc. Is it everyday? Also, I know it's divided into areas like Marche Vernaison, etc. but are these seperate buildings or what. Just would kind of like an idea what it's like before I go. I've never made it there on previous trips but am planning to on my next trip (in March) Thanks
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 05:54 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
The flea market at Porte de Clignancourt covers about fifteen acres, according to my guide book. It is open to the public Saturday, Sunday and Monday, although on Monday not all the stalls are open. Friday it is open to the trade only.

The several markets have different characteristics. Some are all inside, some are all street stalls, actually storefronts which open into streets or alleys. I have not explored any of the inside markets, some of which I believe carry very upscale antiques. The two markets where I have had fun and found things are the Marche Vernaison and the Marche Paul Bert. Both are outside. The Marche Vernaison is the oldest and quite picturesque, with narrow alleys and tiny stands.