Continental's 777s?

Search

Continental's 777s?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continental's 777s?

I just booked a pretty good fare ($320) for early March on Continental, PIT-EWR-CDG, for my sister-in-law and me. The aircraft is a 777, and I wondered what it's like in terms of seat width, pitch,general comfort(economy class!) as compared with USAirways Airbus, etc.? I've not flown anything but USAirways to Europe in several years, but now no direct flight, so I jumped ship for the better deal.

Yeah, I know I could have done the same or better if I'd gotten on the USa deal the moment it hit the internet last Fri. My sister-in-law has never been to Europe,(fear of flying, other fears) and it took some persuading on my part to get this trip on its way! I know she will love Paris when we get there!
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:50 PM

plane is a wide body jumbo to replace the 747 in general terms....it is moderate in comfort...i think the seating is generally 3-4-3 in coach but look on continentals web-sit or seat gru for sure....i flew with them from newark direct to hong kong 2 years ago and it was one of the better international flights i have been on...i don't remember the plane for that trip---probably 747...

i'm flying, in 3 weeks, on one (777) to london from boston so will have your same experience...we have booked an aisle and window seat and have our fingers crossed...its a day flight so that makes things easier all around also...
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:57 PM

Hate to say it, but seat pitch is horrible = 31"

Everything else will be fine.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! After I posted, I ran a search, and someone a couple of yrs. ago talked about how roomy it is, but when I checked some other sites, it seems that it is one of the worst--31 pitch, ~17" width. I'll be eager to hear of your experience.
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 06:53 PM

grandmere the price is very good, I have been flying with Continental for many years and never had any problem. The plane is very modern and the services even in cattle class are decent.
Bon Voyage, your sister is going to love Paris..
Salut,
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:40 AM
ira

Hi grandmere,

See www.seatguru.com for comments on domestic carrier seating.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, all. I did check seatguru, and at least we don't have the worst seats on the plane! And in cattle class, getting there is rarely part of the fun!

Kismetchimera, I am really excited to be showing a bona fide "skeptic about going to Europe" (my SIL) Paris! I think it will be especially fun for both of us!

Old Oct 30th, 2003, 06:35 AM

We've flown 777's to Europe, they are nice planes, a little smaller than 747's. I have flown Continental out of Newark about 8 years ago, and it was almost like a comedy routine - the air conditioning in Newark was out in mid summer; the luggage conveyors were broke, so the luggage was being thrown into huge piles; the luggage train driver was hotrodding on the tarmac and flipped some of the carts; and the flight was delayed, but they didn't page before the later take off! I hope it was just a bad day and your trip is more normal.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:23 PM

Oh grandmere!! Your sister in law is so lucky to have you as a chaperon
I wished that I could see again all my favourite's places with the eyes of a first timer in that place!! To enjoy once again the thrill of the discovery, while marvelling once more at the beauty of Rome or Paris or Italy, France..etc..,Tell her how lucky she is!!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 03:43 PM

Flew Continentals 777 RT from Newark to Paris last summer. Going over Business Class-FANTASTIC! Coming home-Coach!! One of the worst experiences I have ever had. We fly a lot (mostly coach) and Continentals 777 coach seats were the tightest and most uncomfortable we have ever sat in. I am 5'1" and my husband 5'7" and it was a strugglr. In addition my two children who were 9 & 11 at the time complained the whole way back. Take sleeping pills.
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 04:59 PM
Original Poster

Well, folks, the tix are bought and nonrefundable, so we'll just have to make the best of the discomfort of the 777 and think about the fun we'll have in Paris!

Thank you, Kismetchimera, for the kind words; you are right: much of the enjoyment will be seeing Paris with the eyes of someone who's seeing that wonderful city for the first time!
Old Oct 30th, 2003, 06:25 PM

When you check in for your flight, flash a big friendly smile and tell the agent you and your SIL are volunteering to help fill up Business or First Class if they "need you to" You never know...you could get lucky. Early March? It's possible....