Paris shoes

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris shoes

This may seem like a dumb question, but I need input about the best shoes to take to Paris. I don't want to wear the typical white sport shoes that scream tourist. I want something to wear with pants for daily sightseeing (lots of walking) and with a skirt or dress for moderate dress-up for evening dinners. I feel like I need to dress a bit better than my usual jeans while in Paris, but shoes that work for both looks and comfort are always a dilemna for me. Are nice i.e. dressier flip flops worn in Paris as they are here? I want to pack only two pairs. How have other women solved this problem. thanks.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 04:54 PM

I'm leaving for Paris in a little over a week, and I plan to bring a pair of comfortable tennis shoes for during the day, and a pair of Burberry high heels that be worn with a dress or to dress up jeans at night.

I would venture to guess that flip flops won't be that comfortable if you're going to be doing extensive walking. And I'm not sure they're worn as often in Europe as they are here.

Best of luck packing!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:17 PM

I didn't see anyone wear flip flops.
Wear what you would for walking in any big city, say for instance NYC. The styles are the same. Don't bring new shoes unless you have broken them in and know they are comfortable.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:45 PM

I always buy a good pair of walking shoes (Josef Seibel, Merrills, Dansko the list is endless on good brands), and take a back-up pair of comfortable shoes that I can swap out. I also take a third pair of sandals or heels that make it out for an evening here and there.

You will be surprised at how many people in Paris dress "up" with jeans, and how many sneakers are being worn. It's not as American a trend as it used to be.

The rules are simple: Comfortable first. Style second. Or you will pay.

To do both comfort & style, a trip to Nordstrom is in order.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I don;t like flip flops in the city - esp when you can run into cobblestones and pavement/stairways hundreds of years old and uneven.

I always do 2 pair of walking shoes (usually fashion athletic shoes - like Skechers Mary Janes or similar in colors to match most of my clothes - black or nacy, perhaps even red or a pasatel in the summer) and 1 pair for evening - usually a moderate heel - but with a wedge (more support and less likely to get stuck between stones/pavemet).
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 05:56 PM

I bought a pair of SAS (black)slip-ons, and took a pair of Born's (brown) that I already owned. Each was perfect for Paris and for my life here in the States. Of course, the most important consideration is the comfort level, but my wallet demands that anything I buy for a trip to Europe must be useful for me in my everyday life.
Enjoy your trip!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM

Check out Keen "Sydney" - it's a Mary Jane, super-comfortable, great support, but pretty stylish (trendy right now...). Recommended to me by LL Bean as an good choice for all-day walking. Can be worn with a sock (low or ankle rolled down once) or not and I think they'll look good with skirts and pants, capris, and even dressy shorts. I'm bringing a pair in black, and also a Keen "Venice" sandal in blue. Think about some cute, colorful, funky socks, too. Have fun!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM

Yes, Susan, dressier flip-flops ARE worn in Paris as they are here, in fact, there is a fashionable atelier in the 10th arr. by the Canale St. Martin that lets you custom design your own flip-flops-you choose the leather and the design of the thongs, and they will make them-so if you want to bring your dressy flip-flops, by all means do so-I certainly do, have done over the years, and wear them all over Italy and Paris when it's warm.

You'll see everyone else wearing them as well.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:18 AM

I always bring a pair of Converse and a pair of Lacoste ballerina flats that go with dresses or pants in the evening.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:31 AM

I just got back from Paris this past Thursday. We easily walked 30 miles in four days. Comfort first!

I wore a pair of Clarks sandals the whole week and was very comfortable. I brought a pair of dressy flats and a pair of heels for evenings. I only wore the heels one night, when we were dining just a block from the hotel. After dinner I stopped back at the hotel and changed into the flats so we could take an after dinner walk.

Next time, I won't even bring heels.

By the way, ballet flats are everywhere.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:54 AM

I've worn my Liz Clairborne Sport loafers in Paris (and Rome) and they're comfortable good walking shoes. I also take a pair of Euorsport slip-on black sneaker-type shoes along. I never bring anything dressy, because lately we don't do anything requiring that. However, one year on a trip to Italy I brought only pair of shoes, SAS wedge style loafers, and they worked well with pants and skirts.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 05:57 AM

I took black Merrel Palmetto sandals for our trip to Italy last summer. They were amazing for all the walking we did during the day. I also took a pair of black Easy Spirit sandals that were somewhat dressier for my skirts, but are also really comfortable and then I took a pair of Cole Haan dressy sandals with a kitten heel that are very comfortable to wear here at home, but I found that after the MILES and MILES of walking during the day I could not even think of wearing my beautiful Cole Haan for our dinners out in the evening. I just wore my Easy Spirit slightly dressier sandals. We are going to Paris this summer and then back to Rome and Venice and I won't be bringing anything with a heel even for evenings out as I know I won't be wearing them. Bring the most comfortable shoes you can or you will definitely regret it.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 07:49 AM

I recently purchased the Teva Noosa and love it. I plan to bring only this shoe on my upcoming trip to London and Paris. Took less than 5 minutes to "break in." They are more comfortable than any tennis shoe I've ever worn. I purchased mine through Sierra Trading Post for $49.95. Here's the link: http://tinyurl.com/2tnvey
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:09 AM

I am still in Paris, and after three weeks of walking everywhere, including the 109 steps to my sixth floor apartment a couple of times each day, and I can say that my Skechers Biker Step-ups have done the job. After the weather warmed up, I started seeing flip-flops (and boy, do they ever reveal the abuse that Parisian women give their feet - I've never seen so many bandages in my life). I haven't worn my jeans, but black slacks, which go well with the shoes. I also wore the shoes (Mary Jane style) with a simple black skirt and somewhat dressy top at dinner one night. If you will be doing a lot of walking and Metro riding, I recommend thinking first about comfort. And one thing I noticed is that there is a lot of dust wherever there is the crushed rock that squares and park pathways are made of, so your feet will get very dusty if you go to the Tuilleries or many other sites (like Notre Dame). Bring a shoe brush. Have a great trip!
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:42 AM

Assuming you will wear a pair and pack two, I'd recommend the most comfortable walking shoes you can possibly find, a pair of slides or sandals if you expect warmer weather, and a pair of "dressier" shoes that are also very comfortable for walking.

Flip flops are not very practical on the metro/buses or staircases.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM

Well, all I can say is, I've walked all over Rome with my cushioned flip-flips, and couldn't have tripped around like I did without them, and I've been doing that for years in many of the large cities in Europe, (and in the US of course) off and on vaporettos, metros, and buses, and haven't had a problem yet.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM

By the way, I just went and looked up my notes, the atelier that will custom-design your flip-flops is called FRED PINEL ATELIER, 62 Blvd. de Strasbourg, 10th arr., and the flip-flops cost between 200-350 Euro a pair.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:03 AM

I have these Palladium shoes in both the taupe canvas and in black leather, and they are as comfortable as tennis shoes but look decent with capris or a skirt, too.
http://tinyurl.com/yqb5wy

I've walked miles and miles in Paris in them in total comfort. You can get them from Zappos.com or from Nordstrom. It's actually a French brand, I believe, so you could probably find them in Paris, too.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:56 AM

I recommend you do a Fodor's search. This topic has been brought up seveal times. You will find that almost every imaginable comfort walking shoe has been mentioned. This will give you an idea of some of the brands. Then you need to go to a good department store and try on a variety of shoes. My favorite is Nordstroms. Tell them what you are looking for and hopefully they will educate you on all the good walking shoes.

Then find out which brand works best for your feet.

If you find a good deal then buy there otherwise you can check out online stores like Zappos for a deal.

Word of advise... If you are not an expert with (thin) high heels avoid them in Paris or you may find yourself kissing the pavement. And if you plan on doing alot of walking, you may want to bring 2 pair of good walking shoes and then alternate them everyday.
Old Apr 21st, 2007, 09:58 AM

What month is your trip?

How I solve the problem is taking 3-4 pair. Typically one pair white sports shoe (I don't care what they scream they are the most comfortable for long days of walking), one walking shoe, one comfort sandal (or 2 sandals and no shoes for summer), plus flip flops (good to use as slippers). Wear the bulkiest pair on the plane.

I don't wear skirts or dresses, only pants and capri which helps with the footwear fashion situation.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information