Paris - Searching for Hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are searching for a hotel close to, or within Marais, for 4 nights in September.

Preference is for a great 3 star or great value 4 star.

Large "large beds" are preferred

We would be grateful for any advice, as we have not been to Paris for quite some time.

Thank you.
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:15 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>Preference is for a great 3 star or great value 4 star.<<

Stars don't mean what you may think. Nothing to do with quality but based on a specific list of amenities. So -- instead os '3 or 4 star' what is your actual budget?
Old May 26th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

Yes I understand.
Budget E 200 - 300 as a guide, but very much depends on finding a large bed and nice environment.
Greatest problem in Paris appears to be availability of King size beds as known elsewhere - 200mm x 140mm is not a King Double where most of us come from
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:14 AM

Your best bet, if you have that kind of requirement, is a big American-type chain hotel, like Marriott. You're going to have a tough time getting a bed like that in a typical Parisian hotel, as it's not at all the norm.
Old May 27th, 2018, 07:45 AM

>>Greatest problem in Paris appears to be availability of King size beds<<

If you want a US-sized bed your best bet is a US-type business hotel or a really expensive high end place (and even many of those won't have what Americans call 'king sized' beds).
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:17 AM

You might try the Britannique which is near the Marais. They offer a "classic king size" bed measuring 190 x 180cm. This is a favorite hotel of good friends of ours who have stayed there many times and like the larger beds.
https://www.hotel-britannique.fr/en/rooms
Old May 27th, 2018, 10:51 AM

The Britannique is fine but a King room may not fit in that budget in September - but rates are dates specific so is possible. Maybe a pre-paid, non-refundable booking
Old May 27th, 2018, 01:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you janisj for your recommendation of the Brittannique.

I am not American or European, but where I come from a King size bed measures 200cm x 180cm and a larger super king is available widely in the market.

We never seem to have problems in Italy with the letto matrimoniales, but it seems that Napoleonic ergonometric considerations must have had some influence there in Paris with the sizing of beds and rooms.

As we are programmed to the comfort of a large bed at home, continuity takes precedence in places like Paris, because the extra cost of a view is equivalent to taking a two week holiday elsewhere.

I like some of the Melia offerings in Paris, but the rates in mid September seem to be significantly higher than most other times of year.

I guess I am looking for the hidden gem and I might google away on the peripheries of Paris to find something interesting today.
Old May 28th, 2018, 06:23 AM

We have stayed at the Britannique and loved it. Very nice hotel, great location, no complaints whatsoever.
Old May 28th, 2018, 06:27 AM

Hello! A couple of years ago I stayed at the Best Western Hôtel Folkestone Opéra and it was perfect: centric, not that expensive and clean.
I hope you will find your hotel! If not you can always chose an apartment with airbnb
Old May 28th, 2018, 07:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Any reason for being attracted to the Marais, which has become an even worse tourist ghetto in the last two years than Saint Germain-des-Prés?
Old May 28th, 2018, 09:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A point to consider: Some places put two twin beds together to make a "king." It's OK but mind the gap or end up falling into it.
Old May 28th, 2018, 11:48 PM
Original Poster

Exactly AJPeabody, I was thinking exactly the same and when I found twins pushed together at Hotel Bastille de Launay measuring 200cm x 90cm each, we achieved our standard Australian King size bed in what is a relative quiet area on the border of the Marais .

Very happy to lock in 200E inclusive of taxes for a bed in Paris with nearby breakfast options. Will be too busy for a costly view.

Will save our pennies to return to Villa d'Este in Cernobbio or the Belmond in Portofino
Old May 29th, 2018, 03:37 AM

Use Booking.com for help.
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Yes booking.com is good for user ratings, looking at pictures and comparing properties.

Generally though, it is a waste of time using booking.com for reservations as most hotels now guarantee the best rate.

Last year we turned up at a property in a remote location on the island of St Lucia after booking with booking.com.

We were advised that our booking was confirmed and that we could pay the property directly upon arrival.

When we arrived we did not have a reservation despite receiving confirmation from booking.com that we did. Our room had been let to others.

That matter has still not been resolved by booking.com to our satisfaction now some 8 months later.
Old May 29th, 2018, 05:32 AM

According to booking.com, we have made 143 reservations through them in the past 3.25 years, all in Europe. We've only had one problem, and it was entirely of our own doing, and it was resolved by booking.com within 24 hours with no penalty. I almost always check to compare booking.com's prices with the hotel's own prices and have on maybe 2-3 occasions found a better deal from the hotel, usually 2-5 euros' difference.
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:33 AM

I use booking.com to search for hotels, but I always book directly with the hotel itself. Often booking.com shows no availability for particular hotels, but when you look at the hotel's site, there is availability.
Old May 29th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

It is now common practice throughout the world for accomodation properties to have best price guarantees. The booking sites have grown to become more a threat than a benefit to the industry, particularly since upstream comparison sites of booking sites have evolved. In terms of booking.com resolution of the issue I have with them, thus far there have been 11 consultants/management involved and all they do is "pass the parcel". The last consultant argued that they are "really only just an advertising site". Undoubtedly some people find booking.com a convenient way to search and book, but my experience with them and search for price/value will always take me direct. I am happy to read the reviews on booking.com with the comfort that most will have been written by those who have actually stayed at the rated property, however I do not feel indebted to or obliged to support booking.com given my experience in dealing with them. The only occasion where I gained a benefit from a booking site was at a property in Antigua when, by booking through Expedia, I was able to reduce the amount of a prepaid deposit required in advance by a property.
Old May 29th, 2018, 07:35 PM
ira

Hi Good,
> rates in mid September seem to be significantly higher than most other times of year.

That's when they have the fashion shows in Paris.

Good luck,

Old May 29th, 2018, 10:20 PM

>>but the rates in mid September seem to be significantly higher than most other times of year.<<

ditto ira. September is about the highest of high seasons in Paris

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -