Search

Paris ?s

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris ?s

I have 2 questionns at this time, maybe more later-
1. Rue Cler restaurant suggestions - we will be staying a couple of blocks from there, we being mom & teen boys so nothing fancy. One child has a nut allergy so we steer away from Asian (unless known to us) and Middle Eastern. Any special bakeries? We are in an apartment so may do bagette sandwiches and pastry.
2. Do we need tickets in advance for Musee d'Orsay or Rodin Museum? Or the Bateaux Parisiens boat tours?
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 05:35 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Can't answer the first question right now, but as to the second, no, not for any of them unless you plan to take the special boat tour on Bastille Day (July 14th). In fact, if you go to the Musee d'Orsay, they'll sell you two-fer passes (slight discount) for both the d'Orsay & Rodin. If your kids have student i.d.'s make sure they bring them and they get further discounts if over 18 -- I think it's free for Musee d'Orsay if under 18.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Original Poster

Thanks surfergirl, good tip about bringing IDS.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 05:58 PM

If they're under 18 your kids will have free admission to both the Orsay and the Rodin. To most museums in fact.

If you want to avoid standing in line to buy a ticket for yourself, you might want to invest in a museum pass.

http://www.parismuseumpass.com/en/pass_presentation.php

You can buy the pass at any participating museum. The link above is to the only official site- be careful of the many other sites that look official but are not, and will sell you the pass at a mark up.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 06:32 PM

My favorite restaurant in the area is the Cafe Constant:

Cafe Constant
www.cafeconstant.com

139, Rue St Dominique
75007 Paris, France
+33 9 75 82 08 07

It is the baby bistro of Christian Constant-really well priced and delicious.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 06:50 PM

I like the boat rides on the Seine that are accessed directly below the Eiffel Tower, but Fodorites have also recommended a company that discounts tickets if you pay on line: http://www.vedettesdupontneuf.com/billet_en.php

I have taken the one below the Eiffel Tower maybe six or seven times, and the discounted ride once. For the price and if you have kids with you, the discounted boat ride is fine.
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

jpie - this may be a stupid question but what is the difference in entree & plats?
Old Sep 26th, 2009, 08:06 PM

You'll need to steer clear of bakeries, too, if someone has a nut allergy.

There are myriad good places near rue Cler to eat: Le Florimond, Punjab, Auberge de Bressane, Bistro de Bretheuil, Café Constant, Bistro du Champs de Mars, Pizza Tina....loads. You'll find your own easily. Just steer clear of the odious Café du Marché ON the rue Cler.

No, you don't need tickets in advance for those museums, but you should look into buying a museum pass (while in Paris), so as to maximize savings on museum visits. You'll need to plan your itinerary well so as to maximize the museum visits, though, to make the best of it.

The best evening (or daytime, but evening is best so you can see the city lit up) cruise is on the Vedettes de Paris, and you can get a discount coupon online for it.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:19 AM

Note also that both museums are closed on mondays.

You may also buy the Paris Museum pass at CDG airport. The pass may save you long waits at those museums and other museums and attractions since it entitles the holder to special access. However, if you do not plan on visiting other museums, the joint ticket to the D'Orsay and Rodin may be less expensive than the Museum Pass.

Enjoy your trip.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 02:48 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
An <i>entrée</i> is a starter. A <i>plat</i> is a main dish.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 03:55 AM

St.Cirq has covered all my points, particularly the Cafe Marche.
The museum pass may or may not be a good buy for you, particularly with the number of your party. I believe it is now 2,4,6 days. The other museum that is "must" is L'Orangerie, and you might want to buy your ticket at FNAC for a particular time.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Try to buy the pass at the Rodin, as the lines at the Orsay are always very long
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 04:28 AM

There are almost always very long lines at Musee d'Orsay, and a museum pass will allow you to skip the lines and use the advance ticket holders entrance. But, the museum pass does not offer great savings unless you plan to rush around to many each day.

If you plan to visit both Musee Rodin and Musee d'Orsay, though, go to Musee Rodin first and purchase a "passport" which saves you €2 and also allows you to use the advance ticket holders entrance at Musee d'Orsay. There are rarely lines at Musee Rodin.

There's nothing wrong with Cafe du Marche. The food is excellent and reasonably priced and the outdoor tables present a wonderful opportunity for watching the passing parade.

I would steer clear, however, of the oft mentioned places on all the forums - Le Florimand, all the Constant places, etc., as they tend to be packed with Americans and very loud. Also, prices have risen considerably in the past few years, so you can find better food for less elsewhere.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Original Poster

Great info - thanks to all! Will visit Rodin Museum first. I don't think I will get the Paris Museum pass, we only have 2 1/2 days, may pass on the Louvre if long lines. I think the boys should be free for museums.

Gretchen - what is FNAC?
Thanks so much, Betsy
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 08:22 AM

I ate at Cafe du Marche once and wasn't impressed, I wouldn't call it excellent, just passable. The place wasn't very nice, either, I didn't think. I wouldn't ever go to dinner there, but I don't like the passing parade on rue Cler, anyway.

FNAC is a French chain store that sells DVDs, CDs, electronics, and also has an events ticket service. They are all over Paris, but a big one that you might find convenient is on the Champs Elysees, I think it's in-between the Arc and metro FDR, on the north side of the street. There is another on rue de Rennes, a bit north of bd Montparnasse, and another just east of the Bastille column.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 09:08 AM

Cafe Roussillion is very good and is on the corner of Rue Cler and Grenelle. We ate there 2 years ago, with DD who was 16.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 11:14 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I have only been to one of the Christian Constant restaurants, the Cafe Constant. I thought it was wonderful. I was there at lunch and the place was filled with people who appeared to be regulars there. I heard nobody speaking English, and I found the price for the daily menu quite reasonable. It was one of the best meals of my trip last year, and I hope to go back there.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 11:57 AM

There's a large FNAC in the Les Halles underground mall, and FNAC Digitale is on Blvd. St. Germain just west of Blvd. St. Michel.
Old Sep 27th, 2009, 12:23 PM

Nikki-we really like Cafe Constant as well. It is also nice that they sell a select number of wines by the glass rather than just the more standard house wine like other places.

Here is a link to his other places-including his much more high end Le Violin d'Ingres. And if you really love the places the website says they are hiring-wow, we could eat there every day!

http://www.leviolondingres.com/eng_home.htm

The chef/owner is a really nice guy and his bio is very interesting. Here is a link to the English version:

http://www.leviolondingres.com/eng_constant.htm