Search

paris RESTROOMS !!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2004, 06:47 AM
Tat
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
paris RESTROOMS !!!

I just remembered THE most important issue I haven't thought before.
RESTROOMS !!!
We going to have 2 kids, so it is VERY important as looking for the restrooms can ruin your trip ... my trip I meant ...
So, how is this problem solved while in Paris ?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:04 AM

McDonalds bathrooms are fine to use.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:10 AM
Tat
Original Poster

I JUST read that you need to ask a key from stuff.
This is what actually reminded me about it
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Make sure you have coins with you at all times. There are more and more of those perfectly neat, totally self-washing and sanitizing "port-a-potties" along the streets of Paris. But under no circumstances allow a young child to go into one alone, and never ever try to let one sneak in when one exits. The system will give them a shower they won't soon forget!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:14 AM

There are some decent public rest rooms. There is a fee to enter and you need exact change (not sure of the amount). Naturally any sites, restaurants and many hotels can be used.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:17 AM
Tat
Original Poster

PAtrick, WHY in the world would
" one sneak in when one exits"
because they are boy and girl ?

Thanks to all for input, so there are restrooms to use without a problem ?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:23 AM

I don't think that's true about the key in terms of all McDonalds, although I haven't used one in a while. McDonald's restrooms are for their customers, so if you want to use them you should buy something. There is one McDonald's in Paris in the most common tourist area where they are not open to the public that I know of (near Cluny museum), and I imagine others in prime tourist areas would do that also. If they have started that system in a lot of others, it's new. I think you should buy something anyway if you intend to use them. They have a code on your receipt for the door to use in that one, you don't need to buy a lot.

I always make sure I use the restrooms when I'm in a museum because those are usually nice, and there are plenty in the dept. stores, of course. Cafes and restaurants have them for their customers, also. I'm sure there are some around some of the other main tourist sites like the Eiffel Tower and in the large parks, but I've never used those. As I recall, there are public restrooms on the streets of Paris which should be fine for you, but I've never used them, either. YOu can't miss them. Somebody else will know about them, I'm sure; I wouldn't think they've been closed as there were a lot of them. They are kept up pretty well and you do need to put in money to use them (about 30 euro cents), so have coins handy. Museum ones are my preference.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Those little self contained public toilets will be a highlight of the kids' trip - they are a hoot and they are clean! I also use department store restrooms. Have fun.......
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:40 AM

Tat,the reason is that when a person finish doing his business, the toilet, very modern, is programmed to self cleaning, therefore ,it will iniated a type of shower to clean and disinfect the toilette.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:43 AM

When we were there, they were taking out many of the public restrooms because of bomb scares. Have they begun reinstating them?
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 07:44 AM

We have used the public toilets - they are a kind of 'cubicle' next to the street, completely enclosed. You insert the coin(s), the door slides open, you go in, door slides closed (or you push button to close, can't remember). You take care of business, then push something to open the door. After you step out, the door closes and the unit self-cleans. They are clean, very handy, and have the necessities.

The comment above about 'sneaking' in an extra person means don't try to save a few coins by sending child in as you leave, due to the self-cleaning process.

There is a public restroom in a building in the park along Champs Elysee. A matron takes your coin(s), shows you to a private stall, and keeps everying tidy.

Other than these 2 public ones, I've only used those inside museums and cafes; you should buy something at the cafe or fast-food place to use the restrooms. You may also be expected to pay a few coins in a department store restroom. It is small change but a living for the person who keeps things clean and stocked up.

FYI: I am sure you have heard by now that there are still many of the 'Turkish' style toilets in cafes, so you might have to help small child with those. Cafe toilets are nearly always down a steep/narrow flight of stairs. Also know that some restrooms, like the one I mention on Champs E. are 'unisex'.

I forget how old your kids are - you need to impress that it would be best if they let you know 'sooner' rather than 'later', b/c it might be hard finding one for immediate use.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 09:24 AM

This is another reason why the museum pass is a good deal -- there are always restrooms at all the museums and monuments.

During my last trip to Paris, I had to go and could not find a public restroom. I had stopped at McDonald's planning to buy a coke or something and use the restroom there -- but it was packed so I figured I would probably find one sooner than I could wait in line to buy something and get the restroom code. Of course, I somehow didn't find one and the urgency increased as time passed. I wasn't planning to go to the top of the Arc De Triomphe but I did have a museum pass and knew that there would surely be a restroom in side. By that time, I REALLY had to go. What I didn't know was that the restrooms were almost at the top of the monument. I climbed and climbed and climbed some more and finally got to the restrooms. After finishing, I was almost to the top so figured, I might as well go the rest of the way. It was the most wonderful view! I think I enjoyed it almost as much as the view from the top of the Eiffel Tower (which has elevators). I would never have gone up there otherwise -- but will certainly return next trip, even if I'm not looking for restrooms.

Oh, and by the way, as I was leaving, I saw a very clearly marked sign for public restrooms right outside.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 10:48 AM

Just a note on the last post... the Arc has an elevator too!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 10:59 AM

In case someone else didn't note this: There are public toilets in front (down some stairs) and behind the Notre Dame. Despite what some may say, Rodin's "The Thinker" is not a celebration of the toilet.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:13 AM

Throughout the world, I've always used McD's with little problem. Just last week we were in Paris and I used a McD on the Rue de Rivoli.

I just wish in all cities there was a law that was one time found in Toronto; although I do not know if the law is still in effect.

That law prohibits any establishment from prohibiting use of its rest rooms for anybody other than customers.

Of course Toronto was once upon a time, probably still, a civilized city. Such laws should become a fixture worldwide.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 11:25 AM

Xyz: I'm curious about why you think it is "civilized" to require small business owners (or, heck, large business owners) open their (bathroom) doors to non-customers? Bathrooms don't clean and pay for themselves. And, though I'm sure you (like me) are a very clean person, my informal survey of many public restrooms suggests you and I are probably in the minority.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I'm not sure it has been expressed clearly, but, be prepared to pay, pretty much everywhere. I was also a bit taken back by no toilet seats in several places, including Versailles Palace rest room, and there can be quite a difference from one to another. Outside the Louvre, by the gardens, there was a roomier, more 'familiar' one. Just have lots of change on you!
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:29 PM

The Galeries Lafayette have public restrooms, which makes me think that all large department stores might have them (Samaritaine, BHV, etc.).
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 12:33 PM

Another important thing to remember:

"Never pass up an opportunity to pee."

That's good advice on vacation or at home.
Old Jan 26th, 2004, 01:13 PM

I did use the restroom at the McDonald's near the Cluny, but that was in April of this past year. Has that changed recently? I had read before I left for that trip that they were planning on doing that but that wasn't my experience. I very brazenly walked in at around 2pm one afternoon, stood in line with all the others & used the restaurant.

One night as I was walking around in the 5th looking for Connolly's Corner, an Irish pub on rue Mirbel, I had the sudden need to avail myself of facilities. So I went over to one of the green street restroom havens. But, alas, I did not have correct change. I asked a passerby if he might have change. Precious seconds passed, he did not have the change. So he suggested that I just go into one of the local bars & use the facilities. He claimed they wouldn't mind. As I was already on my way to a bar I just held on until I found it.

I've had bad experiences in Montmartre. The public facilities that are just west of Sacre Coeur were ALL out of order. Silly vandals had plugged up the slots with paper clips, etc.. So last year, I stopped at several cafes in Montmartre with the intention of popping in to use the loo when done, but forgot several times for one reason or another. Oh, well.

But those are just a few strategies, kinda sorta.

But, Tat, I must admit that I went on www.pagesjaunes.fr to create a whole list of different fast food chains so that we'd know where to go when I take MY kids next trip.

Happy Travels!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -