Search

Paris restaurants

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris restaurants

Hello,
I haven't done this Forum for 2 years, since our last trip to Paris to visit our daughter while she was studying and living with a family there. At the time, I got numerous fabulous restaurant recommendations from many of you and would love to try again! I am sure that many of the places we discovered then are still there and thriving, but I'd love to hear more. Thanks in advance!
Susan
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 02:20 PM

We found and truly loved Pottoka on rue de l'Exposition in the 7th. Small, so you'll probably need reservations, but the food is extraordinary and the staff is so charming. We were surrounded by friendly locals as well. This is truly our favorite spot in Paris.

Reed has been mentioned on the forum numerous times and I'm sure the food is sublime. It is also very tiny and when we stopped in to see about making reservations, everyone in the place seemed to be American. We were unable to get reservations for any of the evenings we had remaining (Reed was closing for the holiday), but the food we saw looked lovely.

Also Les Cocottes on rue St Dominique is WONDERFUL, but they do not take reservations, so plan to dine early or dine late. The food is so good.

I hope you have a wonderful trip and if you find any new spots, please post them!!

Bon voyage.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 03:10 PM

Yes, Pottoka is new, excellent and very Basque. The restaurant is named for the small Pyrenees pony found in the Pays Basque. It's also just around the corner from La Fontaine de Mars.

If you have an iPhone or iPad, you can download Patricia Wells' The Food Lover's Guide to Paris. It's an excellent source for great dining in the city of light, and includes all of our favorite places.

If you get a chance, you should make sure you stop by the new restaurant in the Petit Palais. The MiniPalais is a very good value and is open 7 days/week from 10:00 am to midnight.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM

There are dozens and dozens of recent threads here on Fodors about restaurants in Paris. Do a search.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, all! I've heard about Reed and have been to the petit Palais but the others are new to me. We especially loved Florimond, Pasco, Epi Dupin and le Gaigne last time we were in Paris. Has anyone been to Frenchie? I hear they're impossible re: reservations but the experience is fantastic.
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 08:20 PM

We loved Cafe Constant, near the Eiffel Tower:
http://www.maisonconstant.com/cafe-c.../informations/
Old Dec 29th, 2012, 10:49 PM

A friend tried Frenchie"s and wasn;t overly impressed< we enjoyed Bistro de Gastronomes very much on our lkast 2 trip. It is on Rue Cardinal Lemoine. 26 Euro 3 course menu and aloso a la carte
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 12:42 AM

Not to be an old crab, swdob, but forums like are these are exchanges that work better when people give information as well as only dropping in when they need it. Maybe you could write a trip report when you get back telling us what you learned.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 06:29 AM
Original Poster

Sorry! I have always thought this was a place to get as well as give information. I did mention some places we have loved, like Florimond, rue de la Motte Piquet, where we had a spontaneous birthday dinner with the whole restaurant (it's small) and the owners were fabulous. In addition, I menioned Le Gaigne which was yes, a bit hard to find, but a wonderful tiny place with creative food and friendly French patrons.
Old Dec 30th, 2012, 10:38 AM

We loved Reed...when we were there it was new and almost empty. Us and a table of locals.

I did not care for Le Florimond's food but the atmosphere and service were great.

We also loved les cocottes and Cafe Constant.

Our favorite is Les Comptoir in the 6th. The beef cheeks and lobster bisque are fabulous.

We also love Le Souffle, as I am a sucker for souffles. It's in the first. Would love to go to Frenchie but didn't make it last trip.

L'Atelier du Joel Robuchon in the 6th is another splurge fav!
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:33 AM

No one mentions Caveau du Palais on Place Dauphine on these boards. Dh and I had one of our best duck confit and crispy potato dishes ever while dining al fresco watching the young people playing some sort of bocce game in the park. A stroll along the Seine after dinner capped the night.
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 07:39 AM

and btw, have dined across the small park at La Rose de France which was not memorable. My mouth waters at the thought of returning to Caveau du Palais
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:25 AM

We enjoyed Le Petite Prince de Paris, http://www.lepetitprincedeparis.fr/menu-25-anglais.php

We also at a Le Coupe-Chou, practically across the street from Le Petite Prince, but we were underwhelmed with its slow service, crowded atmosphere and mediocre steak frites. http://www.lecoupechou.com/
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM

We also ATE at Le Coupe-Chou
Old Jan 8th, 2013, 09:54 AM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
From our October trip to Paris, my three recommendations would be:

Le Florimond - 19 Avenue de la Motte-Picquet in the 7th
Chez Fernand - 9 rue Christine in the 6th
Chez Janou - 2 Rue Roger Verlomme in the 3rd

Check out my trip report for more details on those three.

Old Jan 10th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

Merci, merci!
S
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:13 AM

One other restaurant we like for its very friendly service, warm atmosphere, and good food is:
Le Caveau de l'Isle on Ille Saint Louis. http://lecaveaudelisle.com/

Three-course meals for 29EU.
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 08:18 AM

bookmarking