Paris Restaurant Report - Jules Verne

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Monday Night we went to Jules Verne, up the Eiffel Tower.
At first this choice worried me as I am not great with heights. We had booked 4 months ago so we had the best table - right by the window, Paris side. Not to worry - the CN Tower is much more frightening.
Firstly, you are here for the view and secondly the food. But both are superb. The decor is black, minamalist to not detract from the outside sights. The service is attentive and continuous and cannot be faulted in any way.
We started with Kir Royales and there were on the table buttery, thin bread sticks that were covered with pooy seeds or dried pea-like things which I have forgotten the name of (like entebbe or something like that - j'ai desole).
The amuse bouche was a lobster bisque covering an underdone piece of cod. Sounds weird and neither of us was overly taken.
My entree was canard foie gras (my first time) turine with toasted current bread and stawberry compote. Delicious. I now know why everyone uses the word "buttery" to describe foie gras - that's what it's like. I am hooked. More of that stuff for me! Sandra had Dublin Bay prawns and Fench Lobster which was served in a sweet cream sauce with a morceau of squid. The prawns must have been huge as they were served in slices. Good choice.
My main course was a tribute to Jules Verne - French lobster in a foamy butter sauce that looked like the beach foam. The maine and PEI fishermen have no worries about French lobster taking over. The sauce was great but the lobster was tough and I don't think because of overcooking. The dish was decorated by the lobster shell. Sandra had veal loin which were accompanied with veal sweetbreads and veal kidney. Good choice Sandy as I am usually the adventurous one! A peeled baked potato had a fruit chutney on top.
The cheese course was worth the sight of the magnificant cheese tray being wheeled out. As soon as the lid was lifted the gorgeous smell of stinky cheese filled the restaurant and heads turned from other tables. If you love cheeses you know that smell of roquefort. The accompanying bread was a raisin bread but I would have preferred a plain baguette. Our choices - camembert, roquefort, comte, a soft and a harder chevre. All good but the comte was best.
We had coffee in the bar and I chose a cigar from their selection. Even if you don't approve of smoking, do this just to experience the process. The cigar waiter (yes there is one dedicated to this) chose the perfect one, rolled it between his fingers to check firmness and moisture content and clipped the end with a flourish. He then inspected it again. His mini flame thrower scorched the end and he rolled and lit for a couple of minutes. He waited expectantly while I took my first drag. Heaven, when with that rich espresso that Starbucks cannot even approach.
We had wines with the dinner, chosen by the sommelier and they were adequate.
If you aren't fed up by now - Le Busisson Ardent, Le Truffiere and Tour d'Argent to come later in the week.
Please excuse spelling = I am doing this from a Cyber Shop.
Old May 17th, 2005, 06:41 AM
ira

Hey rob,

You are a man after my own stomach.

Old May 17th, 2005, 06:13 PM

Thanks for a great report. We enjoyed out lunch there last year. The food was wonderful - especially the truffles at the end of the meal!
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:30 AM

And how much did this experience set you back?
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:03 AM
Original Poster

Budman : The experience didn't set me back at all - my lifestyle won't change, the kids will still get most of their inheiritance and there will still be bread on the table tomorrow. <G>
A couple planning to go to Jules Verne should set aside 250+ Euros for a three course dinner and wine.
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:10 AM

We spent about 150 Euros at lunch with the prix fixe and three drinks. We stopped at the bar on the way out for coffee (just couldn't tear ourselves away) - and the coffee was comped.

A delightful experience!
Old May 19th, 2005, 07:11 AM

Thanks. I'm so happy for you.