Paris: RER B or Air France Bus?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:00 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. I'm asking for help regarding transportation options into Paris and appreciate your time in replying and giving opinions. Thanks in advance for any help.

I'm arrive CDG airport via Continental from US around 8 a.m., would like to try using either the RER B or Air France bus to my destination, an apartment on Rue des Tournelles near Place des Vosges. Previous posts make it sound fairly easy and rather than using a taxi or shuttle I'd like to try one of these.

From the Continental terminal how would I go about finding the RER B? Where would I buy the ticket? The route I plan to take is RER B to Gare du Nord at which I will take M5 in the direction of Place d'Italie but getting off at Bastille and walk to the apartment, another route mentioned would be the AF bus to Opera and taking the line M8 direction of Creteil-Prefecture to Chemin Vert. Opinions?

Also, open to other suggestions regarding stops, changes, etc.
Susan
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:11 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
To get to the RER, you just follow the signs. Now that Continental has moved to Terminal 1, you'll have to take the CDGVal rail shuttle to the station. There you will find ticket machines and a ticket office.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank you kerouac, appreciate the heads up on the CDGVal rail shuttle.
Susan
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 10:44 AM

Roissybus serves Opéra, not the AF Bus. The closest AF Bus stop is Gare de Lyon which you could use to reach your apartment should you like to try it in conjunction with either a taxi or the métro via M1.

Of these choices, perhaps the RER is easiest; you´ll only require one ticket, 8.70€ to Bastille. The RER station from Terminal 1 is a 4 minute ride to Terminal 3, RER B. There is a service window near the building entrance at which tickets may be purchased.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 10:55 AM

Since neither AF or Roissybus is going to get you directly to your location, taking the RER and then transfering to the Metro seems easiest.
Old Nov 13th, 2010, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Sarastro & Michel_Paris, I thought the AF and Roissybus were one in the same, my error. I did a google search for RER train and came up with a very informative website

www.parisbytrain.com

Not only did it give loads of info but it also had pictures of the signage and some of us are more visual, so it put my mind at ease.

And yes, you're both correct, the RER and Metro seem much easier. I've always used a taxi or Blue Van shuttle but this trip I am going solo and decided to try this route.

Again, I appreciate your taking the time to help.
Susan
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:32 PM

Susan,
We often stay in the area near Place des Vosges, and take the RER. We find it easier to get off at Chatelet and take line 1 to St. Paul. We do this because, although the walk is a little longer, we do not have to deal with stairs at all. There are escalators that go up to the line 1 level and an escalator at the exit at St. Paul. The walk to Rue des Tounelles from there is a short one - may even be shorter than the walk from Bastille.
Have a great trip!
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 12:37 PM

How much luggage will you have? The advantage to the bus is that suitcases get stowed beneath the passenger section of the bus--you don't have to slep them around yourself.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 01:14 PM

I don't like taking RER, but on the last trip to Paris ( in the summer) the bus took an hour and a half to reach the Opera! It was not even the rush hour.
In the future, unless it is a public holiday or Sunday, I
will take the RER.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 01:16 PM

"The advantage to the bus is that suitcases get stowed beneath the passenger section of the bus"
Only on AF bus, Roissy non.
Old Nov 14th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks iloveparis, Underhill and danon for your help. I plan (hope) to only have a carry on suitcase but that may change so I will need to take a look at the AF bus also. iloveparis, the apartment I've rented on Tournelles is closer to St. Antoine so I think Bastille may be a better stop, not looking forward to the stairs but I think it'll be fine. Thanks again to all.
Susan