Search

Paris Questions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Questions

I'm off to Paris soon. I've been there at least a couple of dozen times,alone, but this time I'm taking my mom and have to do things quite differently. I would like to drop by the American Express on arrival day,directly from the airport,instead of going to the hotel and then doubling back to the AmExp office. So I was thinking of taking the Air France bus...from Charles de Gaulle Airport...straight over to where it ends at the side of the American Express office. Then I could do my business and then go on to my hotel in the 6th by taxi. The problem is, since I haven't taken a taxi in such a long time, I don't remember if one can hail a taxi on the street or if one has to go to a taxi stand and call for one. I'm used to using public transportation and not taxis. If it's necessary to go to a taxi stand, then where is one near the Amex office? We'll have luggage and my mom can't walk far. If it were just me, I'd jump on the city bus, across from AmExp, and go to the 6th like I usually do since I usually have almost no luggage. But, that's not an option on this upcoming trip. The other question is which exit door do I need to use to get to the Air France bus from Terminal 1...as I'm used to only taking it from Terminal 2. I'll be on an Air France flight from L.A. to Paris and have been told it will land at Terminal 1. Thanks in advance. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:48 PM

YOu can't just hail taxis off the street in Paris, you do have to go to a taxi stand. But you don't have to call anyone, there should be some waiting there, particularly in that location you can bet there will be. Also, taxis are often outside expensive hotels, so I'm sure you can get one out in front of the Intercontinental.

There is a taxi stand right next to the Opera metro stop, just on the east side of the large place in front of the opera, on bd des Capucines.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM
ira

Hi G,

I don't wish to seem nosey, but are you gong to the AMEX office to change money or cash traveler's checks?

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:54 PM

I believe you can't hail cabs in Paris but must call or go to a taxi rank. I could be wrong as i never have taxied there - of course the AMEX could call one for you - i've seen plenty of folks trying to hail cabs in Paris and cabs never stop. There must be a cab rank very close to the AMEX at Opera.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

We usually take the AirFrance bus into Paris and there are always cabs waiting there for fares. You should have no problem getting a cab where the bus stops.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:07 PM

Air France doesn't go there. Line 2 goes to Porte Maillot and Étoile; Line 4 goes to Gare de Lyon and Gare Montparnasse.

There <u>is</u> a bus from CDG to Op&eacute;ra - it's the Roissybus operated by the transit company. Here's the route map showing where it stops at CDG-T1:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...352&amp;fm=pdf

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:16 PM
ira

Reminds me of our last visit to Paris. A group of slightly tipsy Brits were trying to hail a cab while walking along the Boul St. Germaine.

Being a friendly type person, I told one of them that you can't hail cabs, but must go to a taxi stand.

I was told to mind my own f.....g business.

I expect that they are still trying to hail a cab.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, guys! And Ira..yes, of course I'm going to get cash. You know how I won't use an ATM card overseas...except my ATM/debit card issued through Bangkok Bank which I use when I'm on vacation in Bangkok. Then if the machine eats it or it's lost or stolen, I can just go into Bangkok Bank which is next door to my apartment building and have another one issued. But, as far as my American bank ATM/debit card,nope...don't want to travel with it. I've been just fine with traveler's checks/cash, a checkbook and a credit card for three-plus decades of traveling. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:43 AM

Apparently the AMEX is one of the few banks in France to still cash travelers cheques or even convert foreign currency to euros, making travelers cheques a hassle or getting a poor exchange rate except at AMEX.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Neopolitan

Yes, but the last time I tried to cash an AMEX traveler's cheque (in Geneva) for a different than face currency, the horrible exchange rate was enough to make me run screaming! Actually I was trying to cash a US $100 TC for US cash. They wanted about 30% to do it -- 15% each for changing it to Swiss Francs, then another 15% to change that to dollars. No thank you.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:14 AM

Guenmai - Can you not exchange the currency of your country at an AmEx office in the country you live in before you leave for Paris? I usually get at least $100 U.S. changed over to Euros before leaving the U.S. if I'm headed to a European destination, that way I have a bit onhand when I get there.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:30 AM

Once upon a time...

AmEx Gold Card holders could buy TCs at par here and cash them without markup at AmEx offices worldwide (and I never had to stand in line at Rue Scribe).

Does anyone know if that still pertains?
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:31 AM

You definitely can hail a taxi in Paris. I do that all the time.

However, they are *supposed* not to take you if you're within a certain distance of a taxi stand (on order not to &quot;steal&quot; a client from other taxis waiting at the stand).
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:42 AM

Guenmai - what's the plan now that you know Air France doesn't go to Op&eacute;ra?

Here is a picture of the Roissybus in front of the American Express office at 11, Rue Scribe:

http://tinyurl.com/m2sam

I believe there is a taxi rank down the street in the direction the bus came from.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Neopolitan...It's unfortunate about your experience in Geneva. I've been to Geneva, but decades ago, but I don't currently vacation in Geneva. Geneva's situation in not necessarily Paris' situation..... Trafaelwyr...Yes, I can get Euros at my local AmExp office and other exchange places.I live in Los Angeles county...so that's not a problem. I always have leftover Euros upon arrival from previous trips. I have over $100 worth on me at home. But, since I usually arrive to PAris on a Saturday, I like to get some extra Euros to tie me through the weekend in case I need more. If I were traveling alone, I would just wait and go to Amexp on Monday. I go shopping at Galerie Lafayette and Pritemps anyway...so it's not like I'm going out of my way to go to the Amexp office. But, since my mom will be with me, I'll try to go on Saturday so that we have more Euros. As far as &quot;traveler's checks being a hassle&quot;. I don't find them a hassle at all. I guess it depends on where one is traveling, too. I take 1-3 overseas vacations a year...around the world... and have never had a hassle with them or any ridiculous fee tagged on...not even during my two two-week trips to Ghana. Thanks again all.Happy Travels!
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 10:19 AM

It's easy to cash travelers checks in Paris, and they don't usually give you terrible rates (I'm sure some do, like the ones at the peak tourist points such as Montmartre, but a lot give pretty good rates). There are bureaux de change all over that do it. You do not have to go to a bank, nor Amex. That's one of the main things bureaux de change do.
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:38 AM
Original Poster

I agree Christine about the traveler's checks. However, I like to go to the Amex office and not only exchange money, but chat with the folks,too. I've been going to that office for decades and as I stated above, it's very convenient since I'm in that area shopping anyhow. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Robspierre...Thanks for the correction. I meant the Roissy bus...not the Air France bus. I didn't notice my mistake until after I had typed it. Happy Travels!
Old Mar 30th, 2006, 10:08 AM

oh, I can understand why you would go there if you are nearby. I have only tried to go there once and the lines were so long, I just left. I used to get Amex TCs from AAA and cashed them in Paris and got very good rates, but I didn't do it at Amex. Actually, some private bureaux de change give you better exchange rates than banks do in Paris, because that is how they make their money so they can be more competitive (and they have little overhead when they are in those small booths/shops). Amex doesn't really have the best rates for TCs, but they aren't the worst, either.

I have never been charged a &quot;fee&quot; to cash TCs in Paris at private bureaux de change, and the exchange rates I've gotten have been between 1-2 pct from the interbank rate. You do pay about 8-10 pct total commission (rates and/or fees) if you do it at the peak tourist spots like Montmartre or some in St Germain, though. I don't go to those places.