Paris Q? Manufacture des Gobelins?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've heard about the Gobelins tapestry workshop for a long time but never visited. Recently i walked by the entrance and it said there were guided visits only a few days a week and then for a few hours each day only.

Q - i'd like to get a sampling of what folks who may have gone think of it. Do you see tapestries being created the old way as i suspect? thanks
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:02 AM

PalenQ,

I have been there, and it's very interesting. I was there while studying decorative arts, but I saw lots of tourists, talked to a few, and I think they had pretty much the same tour. And yes, you will see people making tapestries in various states of production. It's a good visit, and I've actually been thinking of going back for a "refresher."
Old May 10th, 2007, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

merci Toupary - i've heard enough it's on my Paris to Do list. thanks.
Old May 21st, 2007, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

anyone else been here? merci
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:07 AM
tod

Sorry I haven't PalenQ but this may interest you anyway:

The Gobelins workshops are on the northern edge of the 13th Arr. close to the 'civilised 5th'. The name of the workshops comes from the dyer Jehan de Gobelin who may have come from Bruges, a city reputed for the expertise of its dyers. However, he was no tapestry maker merely a dyer which is why he settled by the Bievre, to make use of its waters.

Square Rene Le Gall, a beautiful peaceful park, was opened in 1938 on land that used to belong to the Gobelins workshops. (Rene was a member of the Resistance shot by the Germans).

To get to the workshops turn right into Avenue des Gobelins. The entrance to the workshops is at no.42 and can be visited on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, 2-4pm only with prior booking - Tel; 01 44 08 52 00.

When Jehan de Gobelin settled in the house with the sign of The Swan, little did he know that 500 years later his name would still be famous worldwide an erroneously associated with the art of tapestry. It was under the new ownership of the Carraye family that tapestry was added to the activities of the establishment especially from 1656 when the Dutchman Gluck took over with the help of Liansel.

In 1990 the workshops were to be transferred outside Paris as part of a nationwide policy of decentralisation, an arbitrary decision which was thwarted 'in extrimis' by the determined resistance of its workers and general outcry. Being the oldest workshops in Paris this move would have been an historical outrage particularly since the activities of the workshops have never ceased since 1443.
Old May 21st, 2007, 08:24 AM

When I was there almost two years ago I enjoyed the tour very much. The tour was in French and may be somewhat tedious for people who can't follow what's being said.
Jess