Folegandros Ferry Help Confusion

May 2nd, 2007, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Folegandros Ferry Help Confusion

We are planning on arriving in Folegandros from Santorini on Wednesday May 30th and returning to Santorini on Sunday, June 3rd. The owner at Anemomilos has assured me that there are ferries on both days and given me the times. Being an overplanner, I'm nervous as our 20 day cancellation window is approaching and I want to make sure I've covered all my bases.

According to www.gtp.gr website, we are fine on the ferry schedule getting to Folegandros. Getting off of Folegandros on Sunday is where I'm troubled. The owner told me that there is the Arsinoe ferry that leaves at noon and arrives at 15:50. On the website I mentioned it is only showing Sunday ferries through Sunday 5/31 (is this the same one she mentioned?) and then the high speed ferries starting on 6/15. Should I take her word that the ferry will be available?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
May 2nd, 2007, 01:42 PM

The ARSINOI is run by Saos Ferries (www.saos.gr). Their schedule shows her sailing from Folegandros on Sundays at 1330 via Sikinos, Ios and Thirasia, due in Thira/Santorini at 1650.
I can't believe this service would cease at the start of the tourist season.
May 2nd, 2007, 01:45 PM

We went to Folegandros 2 years ago and reserved based on Cornelia's ferry schedule....all was as she said it would be. Enjoy!!
May 2nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Original Poster

Thank you that makes me feel much better!
May 2nd, 2007, 04:20 PM

I don't want to cause a panic, but if you look at the various schedules on the www.saos.gr website, you'll see that only one of them has been updated to 2007 and that the rest of them are from 2006 including the one for the ARSINOI. I may be mistaken, but depending on a year-old schedule might be a mistake, especially if www.gtp.gr and www.openseas.gr both show no sailing on the 3rd of June. Of course that doesn't mean the ARSINOI won't be deparing then, but it might be a good idea to ask the owner of the Anemomilos again to verify that information, and maybe even contact a travel agency on Folegandros for another opinion.

Maraki Travel:

84011 FOLEGANDROS , KYKLADES , GREECE
Tel.: +30 22860 41198, 41273
Fax: +30 22860 41149

http://www.openseas.gr/OPENSEAS/serv...=en&show=index
May 2nd, 2007, 04:23 PM

Here's another one:

Sottovento Travel

tel. 22860-41444
May 3rd, 2007, 06:18 AM

If the Arsinoe is not sailing on Sunday, sail on Saturday. But donīt miss Folegandros and certainly not a stay in Anemomilos.
Gaspard (room 15)
May 3rd, 2007, 10:25 AM

I suspect it's just a matter of Saos Ferries not providing its timetable to the websites past 5/31, but I could be wrong. At any rate, who would know better the ferry schedule to Folegandros than those living on the island? Their lives depend upon the ferries. I would be inclined to believe the hotel owner in this case. Still, it doesn't hurt to double-check. A phone call to the travel agent on Santorini would be worth the expense, IMO.

Why are you so worried? Do you have a flight to meet on June 3rd?
May 3rd, 2007, 10:34 AM

BTW, I may be going to Folegandros around the same date. Then again, I may decide to go to Anafi instead. You can be more flexible when you don't make advance reservations.
May 7th, 2007, 03:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we do have flights in Santorini. The worse case scenario is we fly Saturday instead of Sunday. I if we have to cut Folegandros a night short based on the hotel's advice, they shouldn't have a problem refunding that night.

I'll keep checking the www.gtp.gr site, but until recently, they showed they weren't even running those ferries in late May. They could just be slow it posting.

We weren't going to make reservations, but a lot of the Santorini hotels that we were interested were already booked this early in the season. Plus, we heard we had a much better selection of connections if we went to and from Santorini to Folegandros.

Thanks for all the input. I'll let you know how it turns out.
May 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

The ferries were updated last week for June 3rd. It seems that new ferries are being added to the www.gtp.gr site within 2 weeks. Just an FYI for anyone else trying to figure out ferries to more remote islands.