Fast Ferry/Hydrofoil to Santorini

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2005, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to get any information about a fast ferry to Santorini from Piraeus for June. Is it because the schedules haven't been updated?

If so, what has the schedule been like in the past years? Approx. what time does it leave from Piraeus for Santorini and vice versa? It would be really helpful so we can figure out what time to schedule connecting flights out of greece.
Old Feb 14th, 2005, 08:29 PM

It's because there aren't any fast ferries running from Piraeus to Santorini, they're all car ferries. Check back after March 31 to see if any have been added to the schedule, although I doubt it.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

But how come in the Fodors and Frommers guide books they refer to hydrofoils and fast ferries from Piraeus to Santorini??
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 07:54 AM

Schedules for June will not be available yet. It is never a good idea to plan precise connections to and from Greek islands. Sailings can be cancelled by storms even in summer and fast ferries, being small and light, are more vulnerable than ships. If you have to catch a flight from Athens, aim to return there with at least a day to spare. You can always go to Aiyina ("Aegina&quot or Poros for your last night in Greece - they're near the mainland and ferry crossings are well-sheltered.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 08:05 AM

I'm just going by what's showing on the ferry websites right now. That's why I said check back. The ferry companies aren't going to send more boats than necessary during the off-season, and passenger volume is way down in the winter months. The reason there are only car ferries now is because they can handle the widest variety of traffic from passengers to freight trucks bringing the daily necessities to the islands.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Yeah - at this point I am so totally frustrated with figuring out how to get from island to island, schedules, prices, etc. I have spent the entire week trying to get information from SOMEWHERE and it seems hopeless. I can't bear the thought of planning this out without some concrete plans - to me that is not a vacation. I am cancelling the whole greece trip. Oh well.
Old Feb 15th, 2005, 10:54 AM

Just because you can't get all your ducks in a row right now does't mean that you have to cancel your whole trip! Thousands and thousands of tourists travel to Greece every year with less information than you've gained here. Have some faith and your experience will be very rewarding. If you make your plans according to the information you have at your disposal now then if more convenient timetables materialize before your trip begins then you're that much further ahead of the game, aren't you? Just wait until you get to Greece to buy your ferry tickets, that's really best anyway.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 11:12 AM

Don't get discouraged, Hawaii. It is frustrating, I'll grant you, when you are trying to make plans. I'm in the same position, and I also find it strange that the ferries and airlines don't have schedules for their busiest season until March (a mere two months before the season starts). Likewise, all the guide books say there are daily direct flights between Mykonos and Santorini in summer, but I can't seem to find evidence of those, either. BUT, even with all the planning headaches, I can assure you it's worth it. Once you get to the islands and settle into the laid back island life, you will forget all the trouble you had setting it up.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

brotherleelove2004 - thanks! I know I got a little too frustrated and wanted to just quit. I was just being silly - my husband made me realize that .

Anyway - so I contacted Hellas Dolphin Booking department and they were able to give me some some timings for the dates we need - and thought it might help others get an idea:

Pireaus to Santorini (thursday schedule): 16:00 to 20:45
Santorini to Piraeus (Friday schedule: 12:30 to 17:00

I don't know how accurate it is - and it might change - but at least it is something to go by,
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 01:26 PM

Allrightie then!

If you've got a website link to that information, please pass that along as well. I haven't been able to find it.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:03 PM

Welcome to travel in Greece! We went to Folegandros not really knowing when we could get a ferry off. I have some wonderful memories of Greece but part of me wishes we went to Italy or Turkey.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:14 PM

April why would you have preferred Italy or Turkey?
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:40 PM

Hi,
Part of the charm of Greece is the laid back atmosphere. When we have gone, in June, we waited until we got there before we made ferry reservations. There are quite a few travel agencies in the Syntagma (sp) area. They have a lot of information and can easily get your ferry tickets. I would return to Athens the day before your plane leaves for home. Therefore, you might want to buy an airline ticket for that leg of your trip before you leave home. You can do that in April. Have a great trip.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 02:59 PM

Ferries are usually never a problem. Advance scheduling,, even though it will give you peace of mind,is not necessary. I've spent a great deal of time in Greece and I would advise flying to or between islands whenever possible. It's not much more expensive than the ferries, it saves a great deal of time and all the connections, taxis etc. are more readily available at the airports. If you want to hump your luggage onto a boat, arrive in a port with 200 other people fighting for the few available taxis and waste a day of vacation then go by boat. Taxi to airport 20 Euros,
30-40 minute flight to most islands 70-90 Euros, at your hotel and on the beach by 11:00 AM priceless!
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM

Maybe we just met too many surly people and had too many ripoffs (taxi & bus drivers, travel agents, shop keepers) in Greece, Judy. It wouldn't be my first choice of places to return to... although I would go back to Folegandros and Athens, but not to Santorini. My friend raves about the friendly people in Turkey and it has ruins too. Italy, even if its people were as cranky as the Greeks, has the art.

As for the ferries, I rather enjoyed them.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 05:33 PM

While not discounting April's experiences, I've got to stick up for the Greeks. I spend a little more than a month there in 2004 and had absolutely nothing but great experiences with everyone we met.

In Athens or out in the islands, folks were welcoming and wonderful, even far outside the tourist track.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:46 PM

Maybe we were just unlucky.
Old Feb 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Original Poster

brotherleelove2004 - i haven't found a website with the summer schedule. I had actually emailed the dates in question at the following: [email protected]

I corresponded with someone named Mouflouzelli Eleni in the Booking Dept. of Hellenic Seaways. I had also written to a lot of travel agents and the ALL replied the same thing - "we don't know the summer schedule yet."

It was only this email that gave me exact times. But again, I am not going to plan everything around it since I understand that the ferries schedules can change at any given moment. But it sounds (by people posts here) that there will be one way or another to get around. If not the fast ferry, then the slow one.

As soon as I find the summer schedule - i will surely post it here.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:12 AM

It's a VERY good idea to be vigilant when it comes to unexpected and unannounced changes to ferry and plane scheduling. And it's true there always seems to be some way to move aroung the islands as long as you remain flexible.
Old Feb 18th, 2005, 08:55 AM

Lee's right on. Please rest assured that you will get where you need to be . . . you just won't know the exact times for a while.

Take comfort in the fact that whatever town you are in you'll be in a great place with warm people, great food, beautiful vistas and (probably) fine weather.

And in June, I'll be stuck in a convention in Orlando ... wanna trade?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -