Dave in Paris Help! Or anyone else

Feb 28th, 2005, 03:43 AM
Original Poster

Dave in Paris Help! Or anyone else

Dave need your help Pleaseee! I am leaving in a couple of days to Paris and do not have time to research this. I am taking an 18 year old female to Paris this week. It will be her first trip out of the country. Yesterday she asked if we could see the Colosseo. I gently explained to her that we are going to Paris not Rome. She insist she read in a travel guide that there is one in Paris? Is she talking about that knee high arena? Are you familiar with something like this in or near Paris? And can we do it in 1/2 day trip. Our itinerary is really booked. Second question, I was going to take the Cityrama tour to Reims and do the Champagne tour. They visit the cathedral then Piper cellar tour then off to Eperny to Moet tour. The more I've been looking into Reims, I am considering taking the train and visiting Taittinger and maybe another cellar. It appears Reims has alot to offer that the tour will rush us through. Which would you recommend for a first time visit to Reims? Is the Eperny/Moet tour worth it or should we spend the day in Reims? Thanks for any help. Ira you can chime in, you always seem to have good advise.
Feb 28th, 2005, 03:55 AM
ira

Dear P,

>I am taking an 18 year old female to Paris this week.<

You should be ashamed of yourself.

I don't know if an 18 yr old of any gender would appreciate a champagne tour.

There is a Coliseum in Paris, Texas.

The only one in Paris that I can think of is the Arenes de Lutece off Rue Monge, near the Jardin des Plantes. It is a 1st cent Roman ampitheater. People still pay boules there.

Enjoy your trip.

Feb 28th, 2005, 04:57 AM

Ira is quite right. We happened upon it on our visit. It's interesting and worth a stop for a minute or two if you're in the area. And, yes, they were playing boules when we were there.
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Yes, it's the Arènes de Lutèces and it combines nicely with a visit to the Mosquée de Paris, the rue Mouffetard, and the Jardin des Plantes.
Feb 28th, 2005, 05:37 AM

It's too cold for boules this Monday but we hope to have Paris warmed up for you soon! The remains of the Arene de Lutece are a public park. Otherwise, for "Gallo-Roman" Paris, the Eyewitness guide suggests the Crypte Archeologique, underground in front of Notre Dame Cathedral (remnants of a house from the 2,000 year old Celtic settlement, and the baths at the Cluny Museum, 6 Place Paul-Painleve, Metro stations Cluny or St. Michel. Those two sites charge admission.

Otherwise yet again, I think an 18-year-old would love rue Oberkampf in the 11th arrondissement, "ground zero" of young-Paris cool: the Cithea for music and Cafe Charbon, where that whole large scene began, for food or drink.
Feb 28th, 2005, 06:12 PM
Original Poster

Ira
>You should be ashamed of yourself<
The trip is a birthday present from her mother. Believe me I would rather be traveling with a 30 something male. Second thought, that would hinder me looking at those nice French men.

Believe it or not she was the one that suggested the Reims champagne tour. Any thoughts on Reims?
Feb 28th, 2005, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Dave and others - Thanks for the info. Dave can you please have Paris warmed up by Friday at 8:40 a.m. Would be greatly appreciated since I have been looking at snow for the past two months.
Feb 28th, 2005, 10:19 PM

I'll do my best and if I fail don't forget vin chaud!