Paris prejudice?

Search

Paris prejudice?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris prejudice?

I am irish and traveling to Paris with some of my family members who are black americans. Will they treat us poorly? I realize that this occurs in all societies, but as a whole, is this a real issue in Paris? To me, it's not a noticable issue living in the US. I never think about it in the US, but in Paris with the recent unrest, if there are still racial issues, will it be enough to ruin my trip?
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM

Paris is a diverse city. It's got problems like other worldwide cities, but from what you are asking, you have nothing to worry about I am sure.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:33 PM

I don't think you're going to have any issues at all. There are plenty of black people who are French citizens; sometimes from places like Martinique or any of a number of other places with strong, long-standing connections to France.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 09:03 PM
rex

You're talking about the <i><u>irish race</u></i> and the possibility of &quot;issues&quot;? You're cousins with the French.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norsemen

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:38 AM

This is interesting because a black co-worker, Annjanie, was in Paris last year on her honeymoon. She told me that some French were rude to her when they perceived her to be an African immigrant. Once they realize she was an American tourist, these people changed their tune.

Her biggest problem was with cab drivers. She and her husband would approach cabs at cab stands by saying, &quot;Je suis American.&quot; They said some of the cabbies would say that they were &quot;off duty&quot; when they approached, but then agreed to take them where they needed to go once they realized they were American tourists.

In a cafe, a frowning waiter said to Annjanie, &quot;Cote d'Ivoire?&quot; When she said that she was from America, he actually smiled and started a friendly conversation.

I guess many cabbies, store clerks, and waiters are prejudiced against Africans in Paris. This is probably like the anti-Mexican/illegal alien prejudice in the U.S.

Christine
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 09:40 AM
ira

Hi J,

Black Americans have been going to France for decades to escape race prejudice in the US.

Don't worry.

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 10:32 AM

As a black french i feel more discriminated in the USA or the UK than home - but there may be some prejudice among some categories against recent immigrants (i realise that the slightest hint of refusal disapears as soon as i open my mouth (i may get the question 'Martinique or Guadeloupe ?' but in such cases it continues about holidays))
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 04:04 PM

My black American husband and I experience zero prejudice while in Paris, a city we love. The two times I took my biracial grandson there, his presence caused no perceptible adverse reaction and I assure you that my bigotry radar is fine tuned to nuance, particularly where loved ones are concerned.

However,I suspect Handmaiden is correct. Our speech, our clothing, something, identified us as American tourists bringing money into the economy, not immigrants in search of employment or medical benefits.

A black African friend, now working in the States as a teacher, speaks bitterly of his experience as an immigrant in Paris.

It's as though we were in entirely different cities.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:30 AM

I was just wondering how your trip turned out. Did you run into racism or prejudice in Paris?
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 02:24 PM

Recently Yannick Noah, an African-Frenchman (or French-African, whatever, anyway, he was born in Cameroon), former Wimbledon champion and currently THE chart topping musician in France, was recently voted the most popular living Frenchman.

Zinadine Zidane is not so ethnically Gallic either, and a national hero.

Thierry Henri is Martiniquais as well, the list goes on.

Sa ka woul&eacute;
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 09:36 PM

&gt; former Wimbledon champion ..

He won French Open - Roland Garros and not Wimbldon.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:09 AM

Sorry, I stand corrected.

Also, Thierry Henri is from La D&eacute;sirade, not Martinique.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:15 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
In that case, you may also stand corrected for the spelling. His name is Thierry Henry.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:21 AM

&quot;I never think about it in the US...&quot;

That's because you live somewhere in the US where you don't HAVE to 'think about it&quot; which is more than some can say, unfortunately.

I don't think anyone is going to give your Black traveling companions any trouble in Paris just because they are Black.
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:51 AM

It's a weird issue in France. Paris is hospitable to some blacks and not others. Paris can also treat Americans in general rather poorly. To make things more complicated, Africans in Paris are sometimes sour toward whites in general.

But if you are asking is it going to ruin your trip, no. I'd be more concerned if I was going to Belgium.

By the way, I'm part Irish too and it never get noticed in a negative way exceptin England, and even that's been changing. But I'm surprised you don't notice racial discrimination in America. Where do you live?