Help with Norway in a Nutshell

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with Norway in a Nutshell

Hello,
We are flying from Iceland to Bergen. We want to take the one-way Norway in a Nutshell from Bergen to Oslo. We will have one small rolling bag each. Is it feasible to do this with a bag or will it be too burdensome? Also, we have 5 days in Norway and our plan is to spend 2 days in Bergen, 1 day doing the Nutshell tour and 2 days in Oslo. Any thought on this? Thanks.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:17 AM

what month?

Otherwise, plans look good.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 08:46 AM

I have done the Nutshell Tour you describe with a rolling backpack and had no problem - the bus i think has a baggage place underneath and the boats and trains are no problem - i did it because i ended up in Flam and didn't want to return to Bergen, but catch the direct overnight train Flam to Oslo, which i'm not sure runs anymore. I guess the boat would be the only problematic vis a vis baggage - we had no problem but we were in September - the boats are rather small and crowding could be a problem i guess in high season.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Viajero2: Thanks for the response. We are planning to be there the 2nd week of June.

PalenqueBob: Thanks for your response. Did you purchase your Nutshell tickets beforehand? If so, how?
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 11:54 AM

No just bought them at Bergen - in the station i think you find a special window or kiosk for this or just ask at ticket windows. There seem to be no reservations possible and info i have says everyone will be accommodated so just show up i guess. But ask the night before at Bergen train station.
You can buy them in US thru RailEurope but i think at higher price and can buy same thing in Bergen - again i don't think reservations are possible so no reason to buy ahead. But if want to know if they are call BETS (800-441-2387) if in US - i know they sell the package (thru RailEurope) and maybe it includes reservations. You don't indicate when you are going, perhaps in high season of July and August it's more crowded than in late Sep when we went. Anyway one of my top top travel memories anywhere - don't miss it - worth every kroner.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

PalenqueBob - Thanks for replying again. We will be there the 2nd week of June.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:01 PM

Still not high season yet - the bugs may be out but not masses of tourists.

www.norwayinanutshell.com i think has schedules.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 01:31 PM

I LOVED the nutshell tour. I had a pretty large suitcase with me and it was do-able. Mid-way through the tour, I spent the night in Stalheim and it was INCREDIBLE. But you have a very limited amount of time and Bergen and Oslo are both wonderful, as well.

You'll have a great time!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 03:23 PM
Original Poster

PalenqueBob: Thanks for the link. What bugs and how bad does it get?

Songdoc: Please tell me about Stalheim.

Old Dec 26th, 2006, 03:32 PM

Re advance reservation.

Main line expresses need seat reservation. I think you will need one between Myrdal and Oslo and (depending on service used) between Bergen and Voss.
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 03:36 PM

charlieg: If you haven't already, do a search on this site and you will find lots of great information about the NIAN. We did this 2 summers ago and felt it was a great way to see lots of Norway, well, at least between Oslo and Bergen. We had our luggage with us, and did just fine. At one point, after a bus ride, it stops at the Stalheim Hotel for a short break. We had made arrangements to overnight there and just adored the grand views and solitude after the hectic train-boat-bus portion. We did make reservations ahead, and opted for a first class ticket on the train portion. Not sure if it really made a difference, but we were comfortable and it was very pleasant. Be aware, though, that one almost runs to get on the bus, or the Flam train, and it can get pretty crowded. I would think that early June should be just fine, though. Your schedule looks great...with 2 days in both Bergen and Oslo, I wouldn't try the overnight in Stalheim. Enjoy!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 03:55 PM

You can learn much more by checking out my trip report. (Search "Nutshell Explained and Bergen Trip Report.&quot

As you'll see, I agree with the previous poster -- the Stalheim Hotel has spectacular views and is a wonderful place to hike.

As much as I loved it there, unless you can add an additional day, I wouldn't take a day away from Bergen or Oslo to overnight at Stalheim. I loved Norway and I'm jealous!
Old Dec 26th, 2006, 04:20 PM

Here's the link to the Stalheim. I would spend the night there and then the next morning continue on to Bergen.

http://www.stalheim.com/engelsk/index.htm
Old Dec 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM

<Re advance reservation.

Main line expresses need seat reservation. I think you will need one between Myrdal and Oslo and (depending on service used) between Bergen and Voss>

My info, which could be out of date, says that you can ride on these segments without seat reservations, and indeed i doed when i went. but check at Bergen station and make relevant reservations if required or desired - trains could be quite full so reservation may be suggested.