Paris plus one

Jun 3rd, 2017, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Paris plus one

I have the itch to book a trip for the fall. Most likely traveling alone, I've done Paris to death yet still can't get enough. So, want to do an open jaw, leaving from either New Orleans or Atlanta to _____, then by train to Paris for at least 10 days. I have often started trips in Amsterdam, and much as I love Amsterdam, want to visit a new city. My dates are unknown, most likely mid November for 3 weeks. Welcome your suggestions. Thanks!
Jun 3rd, 2017, 03:13 PM

Does it have to be a big city? Does it have to be a train? You can fly from lots of cities cheaply to Paris via easyJet and other budget airlines.

London or Belgium would be easy choices - short train connections to Paris. Not sure what London is like in mid-November, though. If you don't mind overnight trains, you could even do Italy, Berlin, etc. (Or fly.)

Barcelona?

I was just in Nice for a few days. I took the train from there through Provence then up to Paris. Not sure what Nice is like mid-November.
Jun 3rd, 2017, 04:14 PM

I've just returned from Barcelona and was absolutely bowled over. In 5 days I didn't see all I wanted but just wandering around was awesome.

And you van get a train to Paris.
Jun 3rd, 2017, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Andrew and Margo. No it doesn't have to be a big city, although I do love cities. Funny that both replies mentioned places I'm thinking about: London, Barcelona, and Berlin. My criteria is art and architecture. Food. I'm a "senior", so easy in and out is important. I especially enjoy travel by train. I basically live in the tropics in the US so wintery weather is welcomed.
Jun 3rd, 2017, 05:55 PM

BunnyK, I just got back from the kind of trip you describe. I, too, have "done Paris to death", but it's always my first choice. I flew into Paris, as I had booked my Frequent Flyer miles months ago and planned to just stay there for the whole 15 days of my trip. Then, I decided to go somewhere else during my trip and picked Belgium since I had never been and it's an easy train trip from Paris to Brussels.
I didn't stay in Brussels, but instead went straight to Gent for 3 nights, then to Bruges for 4 nights. Loved both and found plenty to do during that time. I'm very much into Medieval history, art and architecture so these towns were perfect for me.

I'm a "senior", too, and travelled solo. The only caveat about train travel for an older woman traveling alone is handling the baggage! I had a small suitcase (21 in.) and a small carry on bag. It still wasn't easy, as they were heavy, but people are extremely helpful, thank goodness. In Gent, I almost panicked at the train station when I discovered the elevator not working, and I was quite leery of going down the steep escalator with my stuff. A lovely woman saw my dismay and immediately offered to carry my suitcase down. Bless her! If you're a "younger" senior, you probably wouldn't have a problem, but I'm definitely an "older" senior!

Anyway, Belgium was a great experience, and you can travel around easily and cheaply on the local trains. I was sorry to miss Brussels, but had to get back to Paris for my last 6 days. Wherever you decide to go, go ahead and book - and have fun with the planning!
Jun 3rd, 2017, 07:08 PM

Also definitely of the senior demographic, I'm thinking seriously about going to Egpyt in November. Having been to Rome last in December and finding the weather not too cold at all, plan to stop off there for a few days on the way. So if you haven't been there, or even if you have, I'd suggest Rome for late fall.
Jun 3rd, 2017, 09:09 PM
Original Poster

Great suggestions! Thanks!
Jun 3rd, 2017, 09:10 PM

Egpyt? Make that Egypt.

Search this Thread