Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris - planning 2.5 days, need your help!

Old Apr 29th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been in London for a few weeks and we just took the Eurostar into Paris. It's all happened pretty quick and need some good help! (btw, London has been amazing. Really enjoyed it. The Eurostar is a 2.5 hr trip to Paris and can be booked on eurostar.com at any time- pick your seats, you have a choice)

We are staying near Place Denfert Rochereau, kind of south Paris.

My thought is to go to Porte de Versailles in the morning and then
metro to Notre Dame
walk to Louvre, place dela concorde up the champs elysees to the Arc De Triomphe
down to the Eiffel Tower at evening. Too ambitious?

Now I hear the Louvre is an all-day affair... should I set a day for it and the next day for the rest? Time is kinda tight so we have to hit the "must sees" in Paris within our short couple days...

I know I'm skimming and missing a lot so suggestions and a good game plan would be very appreciated!
Old Apr 29th, 2009, 11:41 PM

No rule requires that you spend a full day at the Louvre. Your day 1 plan is manageable, though you may encounter lines at many of those places. You can shorten the time you spend in lines for those sites and the Louvre by purchasing a two day Paris Museum Pass. Won't help at the Eiffel Tower though, which does not honor the pass, or Notre Dame Towers, which does not give fast access, though if you go early to either you will find lines shorter.

You might want to focus on left bank for second day, perhaps Rodin, D'Orsay, Luxembourg Gardens, St-Germain.

Enjoy your glimpse of Paris.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 05:39 AM

With such a short time in Paris, I wouldn't spend a minute of it on the Champs Elysées, which is just a big boulevard studded with American chain stores. Nor would I spend an entire day in the Louvre - I probably wouldn't even go there, as I prefer the Musée d'Orsay (but that's a personal choice).

I agree about focusing on the Rive Gauche on Day 2 (sounds like Day 1 is already in progress anyway). I'd also try to squeeze in a bit of time in the Marais and on the Ile St-Louis.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM

Just curious, why Porte de Versailles?
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 06:14 AM

I'm curious too.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 06:31 AM

If you want to see all of the Louvre, it is a 2-day affair, and even that requires just a very quick glance at each exhibit.

But because your time in Paris is so limited, I advise you to spend only a half-day at the Louvre. Research the exhibits you want to see ahead of time: Go to the Louvre's Web site, and make a list of your "must see" exhibits and their exact locations in the Louvre. This will let you make efficient use of your limited time.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Here is my 3 day itinerary you might pick and choose from.

SEPT. 25TH FRIDAY. AFTERNOON TRAIN TO PARIS FROM AMSTERDAM / FRIDAY NIGHT.. EIFFEL TOWER FROM PONT NUEF(SP) BRIDGE.

SEPT. 26TH SATURDAY ... ISLE LOUIE,ISLE DE LA CITE,
NOTRE DAME, ST CHAPPELLE, LEFT BANK, NIGHT SEINE CRUISE

SEPT. 27TH SUNDAY ....MUSEE D'ORSAY, RODIN SCULPTURE GARDEN, LUXUMBURG GARDEN

SEPT. 28TH MONDAY.....PERE LACHAISE CEMETARY, MARAIS (JEWISH QUARTER),SACRE COUER, EIFFEL TOWER AT NIGHT ( yes, again)

Dont forget a trip report and photos for us to enjoy upon your return.
Old Apr 30th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Cruiser, I just returned from a week in Paris and I can't imagine how you'll squeeze everything into less than 3 days!

I hope you're enjoying yourself. Did you see the Louvre yet? My wife and I sped through the Louvre in under two hours, but we really only got to see Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Venus de Milo, and a few rooms of statuary and a few rooms of large format French paintings. I also preferred Musee D'Orsay, because I really like the impressionists...

Au revoir!