Paris Perfect: Great!

Aug 3rd, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Paris Perfect: Great!

Those who have read my other posts on Paris Perfect Apartments will recall that I have multiple sclerosis, a degenerative disease of the nervous system that can be seriously aggravated by heat. The proprietors, Philippe and Madelyn, had air conditioning installed for us in the St. Emillion apartment before we arrived on July 7th.

The unit was spacious, beautifully decorated and wonderfully quiet if you close the windows. It had a magnificent view of the Eiffel Tower from the living room. They've revived the millennium light show, which consists of thousands of small strobes that go off for 10 minutes every hour on the hour between 10 p.m. and 2 a.m.

It reminds me of a bottle of champagne being opened, and it is impossibly romantic. All of the recent unpleasantness aside, let's be honest: No one on earth does romance like the French, and the light show on the Eiffel Tower is the epitome. And it's right outside the window in this apartment. The bedrooms are in back, so it's not disruptive to sleeping.

The accommodation truly lacks for nothing, including a two satellite TV sets, microwave and regular ovens, laundry facilities inside the unit, fridge and freezer, two full baths ... Oh, and the A/C was great on a couple of days that got hot.

I got a bit confused about the door key, but not to worry, the woman in the apartment next to the front door gave us a doohickey that opened the front gate automatically.

Philippe and Madelyn couldn't possibly have been better hosts. We had dinner with them the night we arrived, and it happened to be that all of the guests were from the same suburb of Boston ... Madelyn cooked a wonderful meal and Philippe served some excellent wine, plus I had brought some from my home cellar as a gift.

Later in the week I mentioned to Medelyn that the couch in the living room was beautfiul but it lacked back support. She said, oops, I must have forgotten about the foam bolster. It was in the living room within the day. Voila! Problem solved.

St. Emilion rents for $450 a night in high season, so it's not for the backpackers or first-timers on a tight budget. It's better compared to a luxury hotel where a suite with less room and no kitchen will go for a lot more money not to mention a far less personal touch from the proprietor.

I have traveled all over the world at all budget levels. If you can afford it, the Paris Perfect apartments (I saw some others, and they were wonderful, too) are a home run! Bravo to Philippe and Madelyn. You made to it my personal "global top 5" list! See you next time we're in Paris ...

http://www.parisperfect.com/
Aug 3rd, 2003, 03:53 PM

WILLY,
Just checked out the web-site...the apartments look terrific! The one they offer in London looks great...and a value!!!
Thanks for the tip!
Aug 3rd, 2003, 04:01 PM

Willy, a fellow (?) Bostonian here. Thanks for the info and glad things went well.
mimi
Aug 3rd, 2003, 05:05 PM

$450 a night?????? Can never afford that...
It seems however a great place, but tooooo expensive......
Aug 3rd, 2003, 06:42 PM
Original Poster

kismetchimera, I hate to break the news but you couldn't touch a hotel with this amount of space, decor, desirable location and amenities for under $1,000 a night in a Paris. How do I know? Because I've stayed in those places and I know how much they cost.
Aug 3rd, 2003, 08:30 PM

Willy, I'm sure they are lovely apartments, but what kismetchimera was saying is that there are many of us who simply couldn't afford it--the facts of life. We're glad you can!
Aug 3rd, 2003, 10:47 PM

Wow, sounds wonderful. Glad you had such a nice time.
Aug 4th, 2003, 02:37 AM
Original Poster

LVSue and kismetchimera,

I want both of you (and anyone else) to know that I absolutely and completely respect budget limitations. My financial circumstances have been quite good in recent years, but it wasn't always that way. On my first visit to Paris in 1990, I spent $50 for a room we instantly nicknamed "Le Closet," at which point we dug deep and splurged for more space at $75 a night. And it was a wonderful visit all the same.

I meant no snobbery by pointing out the high costs of comparable alternatives to the Paris Perfect apartments. Rather, the point I seek to make is that a high price does not mean it's a rip-off.

I know kismetchimera didn't say this, but it's easy for people to imagine that a $450 a night accommodation is a case of price gouging. Not so with the Paris Perfect apartment that I rented. It's a great value in its category, that's all.

Whatever you spend in Paris, it's a fantastic place to visit and I'm sure you'll have a lovely time.
Aug 5th, 2003, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the additional endorsement. I am taking my cousin to Paris for her 16th birthday next June and just booked Merlot with Paris Perfect. So far the correspondence has been superb. Having looked at what seems like hundreds of apartments, I think we've found a winner. Thanks for posting and reassurances.
Aug 11th, 2003, 12:46 PM

comparable to the "Paris Perfect" ones?

I tried booking and they have sold out with the exception of the largest appt wich is not suitable for my needs.

Please help! I've looked around and I dont like any others!