Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris or outlying areas - renting an nice little place for a month

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I love Paris and are going again in May. We daydream about staying for a month or so in either an outlying arrondissement or a small village on the outskirts of the city (like, hel-lo, who wouldn't be looking for something like that in France, Italy, England...).

I say an outlying area/quarter because I'm figuring closer in would be beyond what we'd like to spend. We'd like to find at least a one bedroom, with maybe a sofabed in the living room so family members could join us if they could. A place with some charm, nicely decorated, full (mini is ok) kitchen... you get the picture. If it's a little place with a garden, north or south of Paris... Price say $3500 - $4500/month.

I'd like to do a little looking around when we're there in May but don't know enough about the outlying areas to know where to start; it seems like the guidebooks concentrate on the center and don't give much insight into the "village" areas of Paris. I have looked at some gites sites, but most of the places look pretty dreary. Could any of you Francophiles give me an idea of which arrr. to zoom in on? any websites or places you've liked?

Thank you so much.

Old Jul 15th, 2007, 06:14 PM

My wife and I will also be in Paris for the month of May, 2008. We have rented an apartment (from a private party, not an agency) like what you describe in the 5e (across from Jardin des Plantes and near Gare d'Austerlitz) that wilis now listed as renting for 3000 Euros per month--near the middle of your price range (we made the arrangements two months ago when the rate was still 2500 Euros!).

I would think you could find such an apartment in the 5e or the near-in 13e although I am not sure agencies have many listed in those slightly-out-of-the-way areas.

We stayed in a hotel near Place d'Italie (13e) several years ago and, although the area has few tourist attractions, it is not hard to walk/metro to anywhere. I would not avoid an apartment in that general area if it met your other requirements. It is not likely you would have a garden, however.
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 07:23 PM

I would look for something in the 15th or 14th arrondissement. If looking for something outside Paris, stick to the south (Plessis-Robinson or Fontenay-aux-Roses) or west side (Chatou?). The north and the eastern suburbs can be iffy (remember the car burnings?).
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions! I will look into the 14th and 15th. I also remember seeing something about Senlis, Chantilly, Fontainbleau as places close to Paris that are nice, and perhaps they could work as well. (actually, that's where I was thinking "garden". Figure we can't get one in Paris itself).

I wonder how to find places in those locations, though. Seems like when I type in "gite, Ile de France", I mostly end up with Paris.

Any more ideas would be welcome!
Old Jul 15th, 2007, 10:26 PM

We stayed in this apartment last summer - it really is charming, and the little garden is delightful. http://www.vrbo.com/30651

Our daughter (15) slept on the sofabed, which she said was very comfortable.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM

Wow, Betty. That one does look lovely and at a great price. But it says "first floor" -- is that French or US first? The pictures of the terrace make it look like a ground floor.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:15 AM

NeoPatrick, it's on the ground floor. The terrace is completely private. As you say, the price is great - and when we were there it was even better - $700 for a week! The owner, Jean-Claude, is lovely. He is French, but lives in the States. He has another apartment in the same building and was there while we were in Paris.
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi, Iwan,

When my DH and I have been to Paris, we have always liked St. Germain en Laye, which is a little town to the west of Paris. it has the great advantage of not being too touristy and being on the RER - 30 minutes to etoile.

however, I might think of spending say a fortnight in paris proper, then another two weeks somewhere like Dijon or Blois, to use as a base to see the countryside.

regards, ann
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 01:54 AM

Thanks, Betty. I guess more and more Parisians are turning to the American phrasing for floors. It is just surprising to see a Paris listing for "first floor" that is really the ground floor, but I couldn't figure out what kind of garden that would be up a flight!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 02:02 AM

Thanks from me too, Betty. I've bookmarked that apt. for reference. It look lovely!
Old Jul 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the great ideas! I had looked at vrbo but missed that one, Betty - love the garden there.

Michael, thank you for the input about south or west vs north. That is one of the things I was wondering about - should we decide to stay outside of the city, which areas would be good - and that would also mean which areas are ok for nightime trains. If we could find a place close enough to go into Paris for the day, we could have the best of both worlds. And if it was inexpensive enough, it could also serve as a base for some overnight trips via Paris to say, Brussels, London, Alsace, etc.

annhig, St Germain en Laye was on my radar; I'd seen a hotel there and it looked lovely. Does anyone know where to find a nicer gite in say, St Germain en Laye, or south/west of Paris near Versailles, Vaux le Vicomte, etc? Or do I just slog through the gite websites? I tried typing in "luxury gites" but don't get much. Maybe do it by village names? If so, which villages?

Any ideas welcome! Thanks again for all your help.