Search

Paris or Munich

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:36 AM
moxiee

Paris or Munich

Hi, <BR>We're debating whether to visit Paris or Munich in late May. Which city has more to offer in terms of day trips out to the countrysid or nearby towns? <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 10:43 AM
Annette

Hi, I'm from Munich originally but have spent a lot of time in Paris and love it. Munich is more quaint and much smaller, and the countryside around it is picturesque with the Alps and enchanting castles and lakes to visit, such as Linderhof, Neuschwanstein, Chiemsee, Salzburg. Munich itself is very pretty, too, with lots of culture to see. Paris is obviously grand, getting to nice countryside is a bit more involved, but doable. The countryside is not as beautiful, but you can do daytrips to Chartres, Fountainebleu, Versailles, etc. <BR>Have fun on your trip.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:57 AM
jason

I'm leaving to Munich for the first time tomorrow to explore Bavaria and western Austria. Have been contemplating for weeks to squeeze Paris into to my weeklong trip, which is absolutely ridiculous due to the time and distance. My first impression of Paris getting off the Metro at Maubert Mutualite at 8 o'clock in the morning, a light fog and damp, an elderly man hosing off the sidewalk preparing for market, lighting a beautiful french girl's cigarette as she was walking to school. My point is that Paris is amazing and if you have not been to either Munich or Paris, you should definitely opt for Paris, there is much to do in the city, you can even go to Disneyland Paris if you get bored!!! Definitely go to Paris if you want to have a memorable experience in one of the world's finest cities.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 07:15 AM
NIki

I've been to both and vote for Paris hands down.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 09:51 AM
aimee

I have lived in Paris and have visited Munich. Both are wonderful cities, but I vote Paris.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 02:10 PM
Art

My vote goes to Munich. I've been in both several times and much perfer Munich. Paris has more art gallaries if that is your interest. Surrounding countryside is far supperior in the Munich area, with many more areas of interest within easy access. <BR>

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 02:13 PM
Maira

If your criteria is nearby countryside and nearby towns, then you are better off going to Munich. Paris is wonderful for a ton of reasons, but the German countryside, specially in Southern Germany, is tops.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:31 PM
Thyra

You know it really depends upon what moves you. <BR>For dramatic scenery, quaint towns and mountains, beer and baroque castles then Munich. <BR> <BR>For opera, art, cafes dramatic city scapes and wine then Paris <BR> <BR>Both cities are rich in history, the food is heavier generally speaking in Munich, think beer garden vs cafe. Castles vs Versailles. Does Napoleon interested you or Mad Ludwig of Bavaria???? <BR>For either you'd best book now! If I wanted to party and had between 3-5 days I personally would opt for Munich. But my favorite city of all time is Paris and if I had a week or more and wanted cultural enrichment I would pick Paris... thats just me.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Clairobscur

<BR>If your main interest isn't the city itself but the surrounding countryside, you probably shouldn't choose Paris (though concerning "nearby towns", there's certainly some pleasant daytrips).

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 12:06 AM
Philip

I vote for Munich. You can take several daytrips to charming towns like Rothenburg, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen (great view from the Zugspitze, Germany's tallest mountain)and Salzburg Austria is less than 2 hours by train.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:03 AM
Lily

You can't go wrong with either. Each city is exquisite in its own way.

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 08:27 AM
dan woodlief

As far as daytrips, Munich would be my choice. As far as the cities themselves, Paris wins very easily in my book. However, for a short stay Munich might be better because there are not nearly as many major sights within the city itself to try to cram in. The final decision, however, must also include your own interests. Afterall, we are talking about two different countries with different cultures, geography, food, history, and art.