Paris only in 8 days or add London?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2016, 03:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have occasion to be in Paris in late October. It's been years since I was there (and as a 10 year old), and my husband has never been. Do we spend it all in Paris or Chunnel over to London and return to US from there?
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 03:49 AM

There is no such thing as a "chunnel". There are trains that go through a tunnel between the 2 countries - the Eurostar by name.

Do you really have 8 full days on the ground? Or are you counting the half day you arrive (jet lagged) and the day you depart?

If the former I might consider 3 days in London. If the latter I would stay in Paris.

If you are doing both cities them you should have open jaw flights - into one city and back from the other - to avoid wasting time and money circling back to your first city.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 04:54 AM

<i>There is no such thing as a "chunnel". </i>

Aren't we a bit pedantic this morning.

The Eurostar travels via the Channel Tunnel. Chunnel.

I think everyone knew what she was saying.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 04:55 AM

Hit submit too soon.

Agreed on how many days you actually have. The full time spent in Paris might be quite lovely as you're not rushed to see everything in 3-4 days.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 05:11 AM

You won't see everything in 4 days, or 8 for that matter. But you could get a good experience of Paris in 4 days, albeit not as good as in 8 - depending on exactly what you want to see and do. The same could be said in reverse about London.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 06:06 AM

If the occasion to be in Paris already has air tickets, then I would want to evaluate the likelihood of your ever returning to London/Paris in the future. If slim, then by all means take time in both cities. If you think you'll return, then spend them all in Paris and take in London next time.

Now if your air tickets are still "up in the air" so to speak, then you can price them open jaw both ways, in London out Paris and in Paris out London to see if there is a price difference either way, comparing that with a simple in and out of Paris. If the price differential is large, you could then plan your schedule accordingly.

BTW, we took the "Chunnel" train out of Paris and back in one day on our recent trip. Made for a very long day, but for four of us in our 50's and 60's, it was completely doable.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 06:08 AM

http://www.chunnel.org.uk/

Others call it the chunnel too.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 06:14 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
First clarify: Do you have 8 days on the ground (likely 7.5) meaning the entire trip is 10 days . . . or is the trip 8 days which nets you 5,5 days on the ground.

That would make a huge difference re what is doable and what isn't.

If the former - then sure, do both and definitely fly open jaw. Which ever city you do first build in an extra day there to account for the arrival formalities/jetlag.

If possible I'd fly in to London and home from Paris since UK departure taxes/fees are much higher.
Old Jul 14th, 2016, 07:27 AM

Yes fly into london back from paris. Thats one less time zone of jet lag to adjust to,( hour time difference between london and paris) plus you"ll get your travel feet wet first in an english speaking country, as wwll as the avoid the higher departure fees as janisj said.
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 12:15 PM

London first, especially if you don't speak much French.

London's attractions are a lot more spread out, so you'll probably need more time to get around and do what most people recommend. I'd get a good guide book, make some decisions about lodging and what you'd like to see, then take a look at transportation options for London. You'll probably need one day longer in London than in Paris.

You should buy Eurostar tickets 3 months in advance for the lowest prices. Also, the time of day and the day of the week will often offer big discounts.

Take the earliest possible train to Paris, take a taxi from the official stand (advisable if you have lots of luggage, hand the driver the printed address of where you're going) or Metro (if not carrying much) to your hotel, drop your bags and start walking.

You can cover a lot of attractions in Paris by walking, since several of them are grouped together. You'll need a good guidebook, again, to decide what's important to you. Then buy carnets of Metro tickets (10 loose tickets anyone can use), if you need to go long distances.

When it's time to go home, reserve a taxi the night before with G7Taxis (internet or by phone, in English). Flat rates apply to the airport (50 or 55 EU for 4 passengers, depending on address, no luggage fees).
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 12:19 PM

"Others call it the chunnel too."

But it's so naff.
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 12:22 PM

I'd spend the whole time in Paris. If you get bored (how could you?) you could take a day trip outside the city.
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 06:15 PM
kja

Your call! No bad choice here, IMO -- just a difficult one.

You might consider making a list of your highest priorities and plot them out on a calendar to see how it might play out...
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 06:49 PM

I'd spend the whole time in Paris. After a couple of days you'll have your bearings better, be more comfortable moving around, might have found a café or restaurant that you want to return to or a favourite Boulangerie where you are learning a bit of French. You'll LOVE it !
Old Jul 15th, 2016, 10:55 PM
mjs

I agree with Janisj that it depends on how much actual time you have on the ground as to whether you should do Paris, London or both. There is lots to do in both cities plus the option of day trips out of both cities so even a full 8 days in either city would be fully packed with things to do. I would not do both cities without an open jaw and would not do it without an minimum of 8 full days on the ground. 10+ days would be better for both cities. If the cost of airfares is an issue you should understand that although flying out of Paris is generally cheaper than flying out of London, its not always the case. We flew SFO-CDG and return from LHR last month for $890 RT and it would have been more to reverse it. Airfares change constantly and to get the best fares you really need to watch fares quite frequently as they may change from day to day and sometimes by hundreds of dollars.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 03:22 AM

Aren't we a bit pedantic this morning. YUP!!

Oh, c'mon. Add flying INTO another place on a short trip even if the whole trip is 10 days!! Please think about the logistics of that arrangement--customs, hotel, etc. Then packing up and getting on the chunnel train and resettling into the hotel in Paris.
As for the language or an hour difference in jet lag--MEH!

So much to do and see and just enjoy in Paris.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 04:08 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
"Others call it the chunnel too."

But it's so naff.>>

who cares about that?

Gretchen -I think that you're making a bit much of the hassle of moving from London to Paris; IME it is one of the easiest journeys to make between the capitals of two great countries.
Old Jul 16th, 2016, 08:31 AM

It is, (but still takes at the least 1/2 to 3/4 of a day from the vacation) but it is 8 days (maybe) total. Enjoy the whole experience without trying to make it into a marathon, IMO. ;o)
I still do consider the language and the hour jet lag to be a bit of a red herring.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 01:13 AM

I would definitely consider getting the 'Chunnel' over to London if you are flying all the way to Paris! They are both extremely charming cities. I would consider renting an air bnb in London, you can get exceptional charm for a low price, central. Depending on how much money you have and how much time you would like to spend in London, you could even pop there for a weekend! Why not, if you have the money then do it. You can experience unbelievable views, amazing restaurants, and see some of the sights. I would definitely consider
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 11:14 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
They are both extremely charming cities>>

not quite how I would describe them, particularly London. I feel an advert lurking there somewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -