Search

Paris Notes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6th, 2010, 04:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Notes

I always enjoyed reading Paris Notes, last month I went online and found that it had discontinued its publications. We are going to Paris for the holiday and tomorrow afternoon a co-worker, who is also going during that time, wants to look at my notes from past trips, restaurants and places to see. I know that I can find most everything here, actually I have been looking for a specific restaurant thread that I can't find and now Paris notes is no more.......My questions, Is there a publication that takes the place or is close to the same information and fun reading as Paris Notes.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 08:40 AM

I used to get it some years ago, and thought it was very good, also. There were some good writers and they wrote very detailed articles about some unusual subjects. Other articles were more mundane, but good (ie, hotel reviews). What's going on was least useful, I think, as it was info you could easily find anywhere and if you weren't going at that time period, so what.

In any case, I dropped it some years ago as even though I liked it, I just couldn't justify the cost which was very high. I don't know of any other similar publication, except the closest I would come is France magazine, which I subscribe to. There may be some others, but the one I am talking about is one that is published by some French agency or chamber of commerce or something, it is not the totally for-profit one by that name. It is this one
http://www.francemagazine.org/

not the one ending in .com
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 08:44 AM

BTW, I find it fairly easy to find threads if you search correctly, but a lot of people don't have very good technique on that or know how to do it. You don't enter all kinds of generic and extraneous words nor phrases including prepositions, etc., nor words like restaurant or hotel. YOu enter one or two very specific words that are fairly unique, and you combine them with AND. If there was the name of some particular restaurant in it that is unusual, try that. Use as few words as possible. YOu can try limiting it to France but sometimes if people don't tag things write, that doesn't work. Be sure to check the box about searching all the thread, not just the subject line.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 09:13 AM

When PN ceased publication, their subscribers were referred to France Today and those with a balance on their subscription received France Today instead.
www.francetoday.com

This magazine covers more than just Paris but does cover Paris events and other articles (restaurant reviews) every month. I was already a subscriber to France Today and do enjoy this magazine. I miss my PN monthly fix and was sorry to see it go.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 10:04 AM

It probably is not the equivalent of your Paris Notes, but I get a weekly free newsletter via email. It is called Paris Update
http://www.paris-update.com/fr/ It has some interesting short articles, restaurant reviews, etc., as well as listing of events, openings, etc.
Old Oct 6th, 2010, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much this was useful information. I need something to read that makes me feel good tonight, my DH and I were almost car jacked by armed men in Madagascar, if it had not been for the quickness of our driver I would not be online thinking about reading Paris Notes. I am ready for Paris for sure now. Has to be one of the scariest moments of my life. But it makes me realize that we get complacent when we are comfortable somewhere, we shouldn't. The world is not that kind of place now, sad but true. Of course I will never stop traveling but may soon start avoiding some places for sure. I guess I shouldn't have talked about this on this thread but this just happened an hour ago, I am still shaking and just needed to vent and I ended up on Fodor's. Don't kick me out to the lounge, I am going to take a pill and go to bed.