Paris Navigo Pass Question

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would like to buy a Navigo pass, as we plan to use the bus and this would be very convenient. We DO NOT have a chip and PIN CC, which I understand is required to buy the starter pack for the Navigo. Are we SOL or is there any other way to buy the Navigo starter pack (don't want to pay shipping costs, that negates the savings) and then load it in Paris?

Someone suggested you can buy the Navigo starter at CDG with a regular CC. We are arriving on a Friday morning, can we do this and then wait to load Mon morning OR is there a better way?

Planning to purchase a carnet and a couple of RER tickets to Versailles to tide us over until the Navigo starts. Thanks!
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:37 PM

If you are arriving Friday, any pass you purchase will not be valid until the following Monday so you have plenty of time. You can purchase the Navigo from any RATP service window and use your credit card. The ticket machines at CDG will indeed accept magnetic strip credit cards but I cannot confirm if the Navigo Decouverte is listed among the purchase options.

You can purchase tickets t+ (most likely to what you are referring to as a "carnet") and RER tickets directly from these ticket machines at either CDG T1 or T2.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 12:44 PM

Carnets and individual metro tickets are IME easily purchased with coins in metro stations in machines.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 02:41 PM

You can purchase Navigo at themanned WINDOWS WITH YOUR MAGNETIC STRIP CC t]THEY WON'T WORK IN THE MACHINESbut no problems with theticket agents!!No need to stop at CDG do it all at once when you buy your carnet you can buy the next"s week ND any day after Wednesday
s
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 03:41 PM

I am curious about this as well. Do we bring a small passport photo with is for the Navigo pass?
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 03:52 PM

I made several tiny size (smaller than passport photo) prints of my passport photo that I had scanned and stored on my computer and let the ticket agent decide which to use for the Navigo Pass. I did my purchase at the Saint Michel Subway station. Look up the Navigo Decouverte on Google to get an idea of size. I do not recall how I paid.
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 03:56 PM

>I made several tiny size (smaller than passport photo) prints of my passport photo that I had scanned and stored on my computer

- - - - -

So it can be any photo, as long as it is a head shot and there is no background? Can I take one myself and print it from home on photo paper as long as it is the right size?
Old Feb 27th, 2013, 05:49 PM

Yes, I would think so as long as it is approximately the size posted on the website. I do not recall it having to be an official photo. Check out the websites on Navigo.

https://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...w=1022&bih=584