Should I buy a metro pass?

Old May 30th, 2012, 11:34 PM
GQ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I buy a metro pass?

So arriving at CDG. Will be taking the train from CDG to Gare du Nord. From there, our hotel is right next to Gare Est. We plan on storing our luggage at Nord, then hopping on the metro as follows:

Walking across to Gare Est and catching the 7 to the Louve. Sight see there, not going to go into the musuem...just walk around outside and the surrounding areas.

Walk to go check out Champs-Élysées. Then head back to the Concorde station, grab the 8 one stop south to Invalides and then take the C line to Champ de Mars.

By that time, start making my way back through the various lines back to Nord to pick up my luggage, check into the hotel next to Est and freshen up.

Then grab the 4 Line to go check out Montparnasse, hopefully around dusk and catch the city just as it's starting light up. What to do after that point is really up in the air..any suggestions

The following day, I will be taking the C line down to Versailles to spend the day down there. And then of course come back the same way at the end of the day.

Following morning, taking the train directly from Gare Est, out to Frankfurt.

So I'm wondering if there is like a day pass I can buy or is a "general" ticket good to get around the metro area with.
Old May 30th, 2012, 11:58 PM

If I follow correctly your itinerary, you will not need any pass:

You buy a specific ticket to go from CDG to Gare du Nord.
You buy 2 specific tickets to go from your hotel to Versailles and back

For inside Paris, buy a "Carnet" of 10 tickets. This will cover your needs:
1 from Gare du Nord to the Louvre,
1 from Concorde to the Eiffel Tower (but you could also walk )
1 back from the ET to the station
2 to Montparnasse and back
Old May 31st, 2012, 12:59 AM

Why wouldn't you drop your bags at your hotel, most hotels will hold bags until your room is ready?
Old May 31st, 2012, 04:36 PM
GQ
Original Poster

@parisian, thank you for your advice. So, ticket from CDG to nord, 2 tickets for the round trip from est to versailles and then the Carnet of 10 tickets? I'm assuming that is cheaper than buying a pass.

@Cathinjoe, I tried to email them to ask that very same question but haven't heard a response back. If they can, I will.
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM

Yes, carnet is less that a pass. The metro tickets are what are covered with the pass. The train from CDG and to and from Versailles are on RER and not covered by the pass.
Old May 31st, 2012, 05:17 PM

Ah, you are talking Paris Metro Pass! For some reason my mind was thinking of Navigo Decouvertre.

I still think that buying a 2 day pass that covers zone 1-5 will still be more than buying RER tickets and carnet. I will step back and let those with better math skills figure it out. Sorry for the confusion.