Paris--Must See?

Search

Paris--Must See?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris--Must See?

I'll be in Paris for 3 days in May (I know, not long enough!) It's my first time there I just wanted to know what are some things that I should see in that 3 day time.
I already know I want to see:
-Effel Tower
-Notre Dame
-Louvre
-Arc de Triomphe
-Napoleon's Tomb
I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting, but let me know what you think would be a good schedule for 3 days! Thanks so much, I love you all!
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 07:21 AM
ira

Hi G,

Have you looked at
"Destinations"
Paris Superthread
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34519236

100 Great Things to Do in Paris
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...mp;tid=1277898

Degas’s Paris Walks
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34712768

Kerouac’s Ethnic Walk
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35095155

Jacquemart-Andre’ Museum http://tinyurl.com/p9pol

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:11 PM

Why do you consider the Louvre a must see but not the Musee d'Orsay?

And Napoleon's rock pile but not the Rodin Muesum?

What it boils down to is that a must see like beauty is most definitely in the eye of the beholder.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:35 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My only must sees the first time to Paris were Eiffel Tower and the eclipse at Notre Dame. We walked by the outside of the Louvre, which is enough for me. My two favorite places were Luxembourg Gardens and the Tuileries.

I think your schedule looks light for 3 entire days. None of those except the Louvre, take an awfully long time to "see".
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 03:44 PM
WannabeinaMontserrat

The Rodin Museum should be added to you list as well as Montmartre.

Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:01 PM

I would recommend a bateau (boat) trip along the Seine. You will get another glimpse of many of the sites. The other thing I loved was walking the Champs-Elysees from end to end. (One of the most memorable memories of my life)
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:14 PM

There are so many "must sees" in Paris that a month wouldn't adequately cover them. So see what you think you want to see
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 04:31 PM

This is a tougher question then you think , answers are going to be very personal..
I would not even consider a visit to Paris without a visit to the Louvre,, and I have been many times. No one can say they have " done" the Lourve... ever.LOL
ON the other hand the impressonists leave me cold,, I have not even been to the Orangerie,, ( yet).

It does help abit if you tell us abit about you,, if you are into art, shopping , history, etc.
I never rush through a site,, when I go to Notre Dame( and yes, I have been at least 3 or 4 times) I wander through it slowly, I read all the little plaques, I admire all the angles and ponder all the blood sweat and tears that went into its construction. I have seen some tourist literally MARCH through it in 15 minutes max.. yikes. I guess they can check off their " done it" list! LOL

Anyways, go up to the top of the Arc De Triomphe its worth it, the view is great.
I would skip Sacre Coeur, its best seen from a distance anyways,, its so iconic , then you get there and experience it and its kind of blah.There again only my opinion.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 05:58 PM

Your mantra should be "there is always next time". Many of us have been to Paris more times than we can count and each of us has missed many of the "must do" things. Paris is the worlds premier tourist destination for good reason. It is is filled with endless experiences. You have picked a few key things. keep you list short and enjoy each. I would ask one thing. take a 1/2 day and do nothing. Go to a park close to your hotel, have a seat relax, walk around , perhaps a coffee. Just soak in Paris for an hour or two. You won't regret it.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 06:37 PM

I recently discovered the flea market! Oh the joy of finding a used chanel bag.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 08:56 PM

I think your itinerary sounds perfect. You will have plenty of time for shopping, dinning, and lingering over a kir while people watching.

Plan on one day for the Louvre. Besides the Mona Lisa, Venus and the Winged Victory of Samothrace be sure to see the Code of Hammurabi, the winged bull of Sargon II and the Napoleon Apartments. Be sure to take a lunch break and try not to get too tired.

Then plan one site for each morning & afternoon & you have them all covered. Perhaps Arc & Eiffel Tower one day then Napoleon's Tomb & Notre Dame the other day.

At Notre Dame you can take an audio tour, visit the crypt, and climb the towers.

At the Invalides there is a lot to see besides Napoleon's tomb. There is the tomb, the church & the museum. Last trip to Paris we spent HOURS in the Army Museum (WWI & WWII). Security finally kick me & DH out at closing time.

Of course there is always a night time cruise on the Seine and a night time visit to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

I have been to Paris 4 times now. I agree with Avalon & Seafox. No matter how much time you spend in Paris it won't be enough! Just pick the things that are important to you. Then relax & enjoy.
Old Apr 10th, 2008, 10:42 PM

Hi

I went to Paris a couple of years back and I stayed a bit longer than you. But maybe you can find some useful info in my trip report with pictures and links http://gardkarlsen.com/Paris_France.htm . In addition to this I have made this interactive Google map http://gardkarlsen.com/paris_france_map.htm . This shows where the main attractions are located and you can click on the markers for more info. Hope this helps

Regards
Gard
http://gardkarlsen.com - trip reports and pictures
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 03:39 AM

Hi
I've been to Paris twice before for only 2 days each at the end of a trip. If at all possible spend a little time strolling on Il de Citi around Notre Dame and don't miss going into San Chappel. It is amazing. Climb to the top of the Arc de Triumphe for a fantastic view.
Enjoy - Try to plan a follow up visit.
I leave for Paris, for 8 days this time, in 12 days.
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 07:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great tips. As I said in my orginally post, I only put down a few that I could remember off the top of my head (as I was at work at the time of the post

I don't want to be bogged down with a bunch of stuff to go look at, I want to be able to enjoy the city and I think I will take seafox's advice and go to a park one afternoon and enjoy paris.

And lostmymind, where did you find a used chanel bag? I'm all over used/fake handbags!!

thanks for the help everyone...I'll update when I'm back!
Old Apr 11th, 2008, 06:29 PM

I found four dealers that had used Chanel bags. But the best buy was a antique stick pearl stick pin made by Chanel.

There was also a stand selling used Burberry overcoats.

I was in heaven.
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:00 PM

lostmymind - where you at the market at Clingancourt?
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 02:14 PM

yes, please provide more information on the chanel dealers
Old Apr 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM

Yes it was Clingancourt. The dealers that I bought from were spread out. One was in a covered building on the second floor, the other was surrounded by furniture dealers down an alley way.

Don't make the same mistake that I did my first time to Paris, make sure when you get off the train walk to the under pass and don't stop at the cheesy market that is before the underpass.

Watch your wallet!
Old Jun 20th, 2008, 05:43 PM

Bookmarking. Thanks!