Paris Museum Pass question

Old Feb 16th, 2006, 06:59 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Museum Pass question

Hello I will be in Paris for one day on March 10th this will be a day trip from London. I had planned to buy the one day museum pass, but just saw that the one day pass will no longer be offered and I will have to buy a 2 day pass. I will if I am lucky be able to see 3 to 4 sites covered by the pass.(a quick tour of the louvre, the arc de triumph, and the notre dame cathedral for sure and if I had time and was nearby the orsay) Will it be worth it for me to buy the 2 day pass to avoid the long lines or will the lines not be so bad that time of the year? Also what are the individual admission prices.
Thanks in advance for the help.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:09 AM

http://www.raileurope.com/us/rail/pa...useum_pass.htm

seems you can get a 1 day pass.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM

notre dame is free. make sure to view the arc de triomphe at night.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:13 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks for the link I looked at it, the charge $15.00 for shipping, I did see that I can buy a ticket to the Louvre and have it mailed at no cost to me. Maybe I will do that and just buy the others when I get there. Any other suggestions?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:15 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks plambers. I was thinking of ending the day at the arc, my train does not leave for London till 9pm. Will i have a hard time getting a taxi at that time from the arc to gare de norde?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:38 AM

I think it is more than a little ambitious to try to cover all the sites you listed in a single day. Even if you could the 2 day pass at 30 Euro makes little sense financially.

In terms of lines, I would only be concerned with them at the Musée d'Orsay (although I believe you can purchase tickets online - http://www.musee-orsay.fr to avoid them).
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:40 AM

not sure what the taxi situation is like. sorry.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 07:45 AM

You could take the Metro from Arc to Gare du Nord, direct line. Are you at the Arc with your luggage?
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:08 AM

I neglected to include the admission costs in my previous post. Musée du Louvre - €8.5, L'Arc de Triomphe - €8, Notre Dame - Free (admission to the Towers & Crypts- €5), Musée d'Orsay - €7.5.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:23 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks to all, no I will not have luggage with me since it is just a day trip from London, maybe a backpack but have not decided on that yet. I know I will not be able to see everything, but I figure I can spend a few hours at the louvre then an hour or so at notre dame, then walk around the city and explore a bit, I will also get a batobus ticket. then I figure by 5pm or so I could end of by the arc and see that then spend the rest of the evening there till it is time to get back to gare de nord. I guess I could take the metro or a bus back, I was hoping a taxi would be quicker and give me more time. Thanks for all teh feedback
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 08:29 AM

I believe the Louvre has significantly discounted admission fee daily after around 3pm.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 09:32 AM

I think a taxi may save you a little time over the metro, and there probably shouldn't be any trouble getting one as there are three taxi stands around the Arc. The north one is at ave de Wagram, and then two on the south side (ave d'Iena and Kleber). I don't know what direct metro line MichelParis is referring to from the Arc to Gare du Nord, as I think you would have to transfer once regardless of which way you started out (line 1 or line 2). Perhaps I am overlooking something. I guess you can get out at La Chapelle on line 2 and then walk over to the Gare, but that is several blocks. Because of the transfer I think a taxi could be quicker.

They changed the late entry discount at the Louvre so it isn't as good any more -- it's not until after 6 pm now. I don't remember what the price used to be but now it is 6 euro (vs 8.50).

Where did you find you can buy a ticket to the Louvre at face value and get it mailed to you free? I'd be interested in knowing that. I don't see Raileurope even selling indiv. Louvre tickets, but they won't even sell you the museum pass until you are buying some rail product from them.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 10:49 AM
rd1
Original Poster

Thanks for the info Christina and everyone. I found the ticket info on the Louvre's webpage then clicked on tickets and store then ticket web. here is the link.
http://www.louvre.fr/llv/pratique/bi...sp?bmLocale=en
They sell it for the regular price then mail it for free for a fee you can get it in 2 days, I have enough time that I should be able to use regular mail. I looked on the paris transit and saw that I had to transfer, so I figure the taxi will be more money but will save sometime since I will only be there for the day.
Thanks again to everyone who responded. I am sure as my trip gets closer I will have more London and Paris questions!
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 11:09 AM

The La Chappelle station is 1/3 of a mile from Gare du Nord - a pretty good hike with luggage. The fastest route would probably be RER A to RER B or D, but that would require a change at Châtelet, which some find daunting (I not among them).

However, there is a direct bus from Étoile to the train station. The N° 30 (Direction Gare de l'Est) stops on both the north and south sides of the circle, comme ci:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...&loc=quartiers

...and drops you off on the south side of Boulevard Magenta, comme ça:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/f_plan...&loc=quartiers