Paris Museum Pass

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Paris Museum Pass

We are only planning on the Louve and Orsay, should we buy the Paris Museum Pass? Is it worth getting just to visit two museums?
Old Sep 26th, 2003, 08:13 PM
amelia

Donna, That depends. How long are you going to stay in Paris? What else are you going to do?

Buying a three-day pass would allow you to do one part of the Louvre one day, do a good deal of the d'Orsay another day, and then come back for another part of the Louvre. All without waiting in line.

As you've probably heard from others, the Louvre is overwhelming, and it's nice to say to yourself, "I need a breather!", knowing you can come back an hour, two hours, or a day later.

We'll often drop in to some museum the pass covers just to see some work of art we know is there and not to see one other thing. Head straight out the door to lunch knowing we didn't "waste" an admission fee by just enjoying the one painting! Having the pass gives you the mental and physical freedom to do that.

But it's not for everyone. My parents couldn't see the wisdom of it.

So buying it is totally up to you. In fact, the only unwise decision is to buy the pass ahead of time--there is no need to pay extra for something so easily obtained in so many locations.

Old Sep 26th, 2003, 11:16 PM

I would look at the line out front first to see if a pass is necessary. You can get into the Louvre without a line if you enter the Carousel shopping area, entry on rue du Rivoli, follow the signs, and then buy a regular ticket with your credit card at special machines. Usually no wait. And, after 3 PM the tickets drop to 5 Euros each.
The longest line is usually in front of the d'Orsay. You can purchase a a museum pass at most metro stations and then go right to the front of the line using it. It costs more but will save you an hour wait. I just heard that you can go right into the newly opened gift shop there, get a museum pass and enter that way. The d'Orsay is closed Mondays so the Louvre will be busy that day, and Tuesdays the Louvre is closed, so I wouldn't go to the d'Orsay that day. Dianne
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 03:56 AM

I have read on another board that this person could not buy the pass at the Orsay's shop. They went around the corner to the Metro station, bought it and returned. Just an FYI.
And even if you are only "planning" on the 2 museums, how about Ste. Chappelle--it is a "must" and covered. And sometimes as the other poster said, you are just walking past a museum and might want to pop in--or use the rest room. Another museum we always visit is the Rodin. Also being able to return, particularly to the Louvre, can be good. The Michelin Green Guide is a good reference for the Louvre and planning what you want to see. And not all galleries are open every day.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 08:31 AM

Keep in mind that the museum pass covers many other sites besides museums including Arc de Triomphe, Ste. Chapelle, Pantheon, the Tower at Notre Dame and Versailles, as well as a lot of small museums.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:40 AM

It does cover the admission to the tower and the Arc but you don't get to go to the head of the line. Just an FYI.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:52 AM

hi. just some comments. i was 10 days ago at the Louver.
on Wensday morning there was no line at all.
if you take care to have bills of 10 or 20 euro you have automats. and as somebody else mentioned for credit card too.
and, i enqired and was told you can go out and come back again the same day.(didn't do it so i hope it is correct).
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 09:58 AM

There was no lines at the Lourve (pyramid entrance), there was a short line at the Orsay, but we walked right in (via the bookshoop) showing our museum pass. Don't miss the climb to the top of the Arc and Norte Dame tower (very very long wait), so go there really early! We waited over 1 1/2 hours. Watching the traffic from the Arc was a great experience, glad we didn't have to drive around the circle, crazy! But if you are going to get the museum pass, buy yours at the conciergerie(learn about the French revolution and where the prisoners were kept, including Marie Antoinette, before going to the guillotin), no lines. Do not miss Saint Chapelle.
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 08:35 PM

Watching the traffic on the round-about from the top of the Arch reminded me of watching bumper cars at the county fair or at the beach pavillion. On our way to the airport our taxi driver went via the round-about. That was a hair raising experience, especially considering that I had looked down on this from the arch!
Mike
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 04:04 AM

There is no need to go to a specific place to buy it (as the Conciergerie). It is available at Metro stations. Buy it at the same time you buy your carnet of Metro tickets--one stop shopping. The timing of the pass does not begin until its first use so you don't need to buy it on the exact day you want to use it.