Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Engadin trip from Soglio to Guarda, one day, must sees?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2003, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Varenna, Italy, and will stay in Guarda. What are highlights not to be missed? Any suggestions for place for lunch? We will be there first week of October. Sasi
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 04:25 AM

Hi Sasi,

I envy you your time in Guarda; I spent a few hours there in June and absolutely fell in love with it. Unfortunately, because I was there for only a few hours, I don't have many suggestions to offer! Of course you must have a meal at the Hotel Meisser, and especially try their Engadin nut cake! I think the very best highlight in Guarda is just the view!

I'm pasting here a wonderful tip I received from Ingo (who is now on vacation, I think) about doing some bike trips in the area. Even though you don?t plan to bike, you may be able to adjust this plan to enjoy some of the area:

Pack the bikes on the train, go by train to Scuol. Upon arrival you have the opportunity to explore the village easily: Lock (or not) the bikes at the railway station, hop on the little blue (?) ?Bus local? and make a round trip through Scuol. The local bus runs every twenty or so minutes, the round trip takes about 15 minutes and costs only 2 Sfr. if I recall correctly. Back at the railway station walk over to the gondola station (100 m). Take the bikes with you on the gondola up to Motta Naluns (bike is 5 Sfr.), from where you have gorgeous views. Bike downhill via Prui to Ftan (an hour, depending on breaks). Time for a lunch there. Either at Hotel Engiadina or ? as a highlight ? at Hotel Paradies. I suggest to continue from Ftan toward Ardez (downhill again on a minor road). Right after leaving Ftan a path turns left to Hotel Paradies. It nestles right on the edge of the terrace, providing stunning views of both castle and village Tarasp and the mountains vis-à-vis. The restaurant is one of the best in Switzerland (Gault Millau etc.). It will take you another 30 minutes to Ardez, where you can pack the bike on the train or continue on the minor road via Bos-cha to Guarda (uphill, elevation difference 600 ft. but not too steep or exhausting).

I also spent a few hours in Soglio, from which we hiked part of the "Historic Trail." You can get info here:
http://www.bregaglia.ch/sentieri.asp?language=2

If you do a text search here for "Engadin," you?ll see some notes and plans a group of Fodorites made for the Engadin GTG in June as well as my (extremely detailed) trip report. I realize you don't have a lot of time, but maybe you'll be tempted to change your plans and stay longer . . . ??

Let me know if I can help further!

s
Old Sep 22nd, 2003, 05:02 AM
Original Poster

Hi swandav2000,

Wow, what great help you have been for our trip. I am printing it out so will have it ready! After leaving Guarda, we are headed to Austria (Alpbach) so will have some time as our next leg isn't very far. I have read all the Engadin trip reports! That's why we are staying in Guarda, at Hotel Piz Buin. Ingo had suggested it and said the food was good. Thanks again for all the help. Sasi
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 04:26 AM

Hiya,

s is correct, I was on vacation. Back now.

Of course, Soglio is a great place for lunch. I liked the garden of Palazzo Salis and also the terrace of Stüa Grande right on the entrance to Guarda. The latter offers stunning panoramic views, the first a wonderful romantic atmosphere of a Baroque (mountain) garden. BTW, I had wonderful salad and sliced deer in the latter.

Another option is to stop at Punt Muragl (after passing St. Moritz and heading towards Pontresina, only a detour of 1 km) and go up to Muottas Muragl by funicular. The mountain hotel has a very restaurant offering gorgeous views of the mountains, glaciers and lakes.

As Swandav said, Guarda doesn't have any highlights in usual meaning. It is a perfectly preserved village with an atmosphere like 400 years ago, beautiful sgraffito decorated houses and magnificent views.

A "not to miss" is IMO castle Tarasp, a couple of km towards the Austrian border near Scuol. And if you don't know what to do in the evening, try the great spa in Scuol (open till 10 pm I guess, but latest entrance probably 8 pm).
Old Sep 27th, 2003, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Once again, thanks Ingo, for all your help. Am really looking forward to this part of Switzerland and alto my husband and I have been to Switzerland, the other couple traveling with us have never seen the Alps in any country! We will be spending two or three days in the Dolomites on our way back from Austria, too! Only 4 more days before we leave. Thanks to everyone (!!) on this message board. Sasi
Old Sep 28th, 2003, 05:06 AM
jmw

Bon Voyage, Sasi! Sounds like a wonderful trip you've planned. Please return with lots of notes to share. Envious, J.