Search

Museum pass

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2003, 03:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Museum pass

What is a museum pass? How many museums is it good for? Does the Louve accept a pass, or should we buy a ticket for the louve on line? Thanks again for all your help.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 03:57 PM

When I went to Paris a couple of years ago I bought the Carte Musees at monuments at the Tourist Office situated in Avenue des Champs Elysees (valid for 3 days). It was a good choice because you just show the card at the entrance and avoid the lines. I used the same card for the Orsay Museum, the Carnavalet Museum, the beautiful musee du moyen age, during the 3 days. The card has got a list with all the museums and attractions that you can visit with it. No lines, no waiting, you just go at the entrance, show it and enjoy the visit! You just need to write your name on it and the day you start using it, so that when they check it they see the date.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 04:19 PM

Pattyca,<BR><BR>Here is the website with all the info.<BR><BR>http://www.intermusees.com/wwwie/index.html<BR><BR>We purchased our at a metro ticket window. We saved both time and money by purchasing the pass!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 05:36 PM

The only museum you really need the pass for is Musee d'Orsay, where the lines are nearly always very, very long. If you plan to visit this one, buy a one day pass (you can get them in most metro stations, or I've heard the gift shop at Musee d'Orsay is selling them again...) and visit one or more other smaller museums included on the pass the same day. (Musee Rodin and Eglise du Dome-Napoleon's Tomb, are within walking distance.)<BR><BR>As for the Louvre, so long as you don't get there at or just before opening time (as all the tour guides recommend), you probably won't find much of a line. We always go just after an early brunch/lunch, and there've been no lines. Should you encounter a line, though, at the Pyramid entrance, head for the entrance at the Denon Wing (see the Louvre website for the location). This is a new entrance no one seems to have discovered yet. There's a ticket window, checkroom, etc., and the Mona Lisa is right up the stairs.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:05 PM

FYI, my experience at the Louvre does not fit Donna's description. I have seen very long lines there during peak tourist seasons, such as summer, most of the middle of the day, even at the entrances other than the main one. In fact, just around lunch has often been the worst time that I've seen. Going late in the afternoon is one of the best times when I've been there to avoid lines, which is a very good time if you go on the day it's open late. I'd get the pass if I were you.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:18 PM

Thanks for the Help Guys. sounds much cheaper than I thought.
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 06:24 PM

Pattyca: You've got the website you need with all the info, so all I have to add is that my experience has been the same as Christina's - the lines for the Louvre can be horribly daunting in high season, as well as the lines for the d'Orsay, which of course are two museums that are bound to be on the itinerary of anyone wanting a Museum Pass. I was in Paris last week, and lines at the Louvre were already horrible in mid-day, even at the entrances people think are &quot;unknown.&quot; I think with all the info available on the web on sites like this one, those &quot;secret&quot; entrances soon become well known. If you go to any museum toward the end of the day you will find shorter or no lines, but you have to weigh that against how much time you want to spend there.<BR>At any rate, get the museum pass - you can pick it up at any big metro stop or any museum on the list. It's a big money and time saver. It does not cover the Tour Eiffel, just in case you were interested.