Reload this Page >

Paris movie theatres

Search

Paris movie theatres

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Linda

Paris movie theatres

Does anyone know how you can tell before entering the theatre if a movie will have English subtitles? For example if Spiderman was playing in a Paris movie theatre will it be in Fr. with Eng. subtitles (or vice-versa). My French is quite good but I'm not sure it is good enough to follow a movie.<BR>

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:15 PM
gina

We love to go to movies in Europe. If it's a movie whose name is familiar to you, it's probably in English with subtitles. Also, in the ads for the movies it usually tells. We have never had a problem. One thing, though. Some theatres have a pricing structure. Far away from the screen costs more than up close. Then when the movie starts, all the people who paid for the cheap seats move up if there's room. Live and learn.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:19 PM
Jules

I know in Germany, Portugal and Spain they tend to show the US and British films in English with subtitles but in Italy and France - be careful since they dub a lot of films and there are no English subtitles on the bottom for those who do not speak the language of the country they are visiting.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:37 PM
Bree

Check the movie listings in Pariscope, which, for movies that were originally made in English, will say either &quot;v.o.&quot; or &quot;v.f.&quot;. &quot;v.o.&quot; stands for &quot;version original&quot;, and means that the movie will be shown in English, with French subtitles. &quot;v.f.&quot; stands for &quot;version francaise&quot;, and means that the movie will be shown in French, with no subtitles. I think that, at most movie theatres, the sign at the box office that displays the showtimes of the movie also has either &quot;v.o.&quot; or &quot;v.f.&quot; on it, but I usually check in Pariscope before I go to the box office.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:42 PM
tim

Last post was right on. In france you have to sit through about 20 minutes of ads/commercials before the movie starts so don't worry if you are a little late.

Old Nov 7th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Patrick

Just don't be as stupid as I was once, and I hesitate to admit to my stupidity here. I saw a poster for what looked like an interesting movie that I had only read a couple of things about -- but raves. Sure enough the sign outside said V.O., so I paid and went it. Didn't realize that the original language was Italian and it had French subtitles. I didn't get much out of that movie.<BR>V.O. doesn't mean &quot;in English&quot;. It means in original language, whatever that language might be.