Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris: March or June? Flights under $700?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

My husband and I are planning a trip to Paris next year, 2008.

I do know that it is not only difficult to predict Parisian (or any city's) weather, but also airfare. That said, I am looking for your honest opinions regarding a trip to Paris during March 11th-17th or June 12th-18th. I do know that it will most likely be cold and/or rainy in March. Is it too cold or does it rain too much to wander and enjoy the city? I don't mind the cold, but I don't want to have to be inside the entire trip...even if it is a museum or a cafe .

Obviously, if money were no matter, we would opt for the June trip, but it looks like the airfare will be close to $1200++ in June vs. $700-- in March. That's too much of a difference for us.

I guess the BIG question is...how likely is it to find a flight for under $700 in mid-June from Austin/San Antonio/Houston to Paris?

THANKS SO MUCH!

Tara
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:05 PM

It will be unlikely to find airfare $700 or less in June. If you could depart before May 24th, you could probably find it for your price.

I would rather pay more to go in June. I've been in March and it rained and I froze. I see that you are from Texas also, so you might not like the cool weather. I am really cold natured so I don't like the March temps.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Hi, Tara. I'm a big off-season travel advocate, so I'd say March. I love to save money on airfare and the appeal of museums and sights being(relatively) less crowded is a big deal to me.

We just got back last week from Paris. It was definitely busy, but I'd hate to think what the city would be like in June...jammed packed, I'm sure.

During our stay, the weather fluctuated from about 70F to the mid-40's (still warmer than here in PA). One day we were drinking beer in the Tuileries without jackets, the next day we were bundled up in our Gore-Tex shells while hail hit us on the head.

Everyday, no matter what the temperature, we sat outside under toasty outdoor heaters and enjoyed our cafe creme, wine or beer. As long as we were prepared (wear layers -- in our case, fleece, wool and GoreTex), we didn't mind it one bit. We walked miles every day, no problem.

Paris is Paris. Even in the rain and cold, it's still glorious.

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:04 PM

I am also a big fan of shoulder-season travel. Not sure if you are coordinating with school vacation or some other schedule, but if you could go in the last week of March or in April I recommend it, really lovely then. I paid $679 in 2004 from NYC airport to CDG in April. The other recent visit was in late March.
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 05:09 PM

Last year, after purchasing tickets to Paris for June, there was a sale (in Feb) with my same exact flights. The flight was from SFO and cost 253.00 r/t before taxes;probably around 500 after. I paid 1100.

This year I checked everyday and found a ticket for Aug for 553. I was going to go in Oct for the cheaper fares, but when I found this, I took it!

I would just watch,watch, watch and go for June. The weather was perfect!
Old Mar 27th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for such great advice!

scatcat-Yes, I am in Austin, TX now, but I did live in NYC for 10 years. I don't mind the cold so much. Now, below freezing is a different story.

NanBug-GREAT to hear! We usually travel during the shoulder-season or even off-season, as well. It's just that I've never been to Paris and I want to experience it full-tilt. I love to walk and wander.

ninasdream-Unfortunately, due to our schedules, we have to travel during those two time periods. We can't do April or May.

namaka-I will most definitely be watching the fares! I think I'll book our place to stay during both of the time periods and then if I find a cheap flight in June, go then. It will be crowded though, huh?

Thanks again!

Tara

Old Mar 27th, 2007, 08:50 PM

We've had terrific luck over the years with www.1800flyeurope.com, especially this year and last. I would recommend phoning them for the earliest date flights will be available for your dates.

Weatherwise, I'd choose June over March. Not only will the weather be much more pleasant for being out and about, enjoying sidewalk cafes, open air boat rides, the flowers will be in bloom all over.

$700 may be quite unrealistic for June, even March, next year, but you can always shop like the dickens and save the difference on your hotel.

Paris is a busy city year-round, and I would not worry about crowds in June versus March.

All in all, depending upon the fares you find once they are available for next year, to us, anyway, it is well worth the extra to visit in the nicer weather...
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:46 AM

We've visited twice in March. Once for 3 days and then last year when we rented an apartment for 11 days. (By the way, an apartment is definitely the way to go for a week long stay in Paris).

We were prepared clothes wise and had gore-tex shoes, scarves, gloves, umbrellas, silk long johns etc. We didn't just do museums but also did a ton of walking. The somewhat gloomy weather just added to the enjoyment when visiting such places as Pere la Chaise (I know the sp. is wrong but don't have time to look it up) cemetery. And, we never were at a loss for things to do.

Another thing to think about is that in March it gets dark earlier. Many evenings we would return to our apartment about 6:30 or 7:00 after having been out walking all day and decide that we were just not interested in going out again in the cold and dark, so we ended up eating a lot of meals in with food from the charcuteries and local markets. This in itself wasn't bad, and we liked the opportunity to do that.

But, we never were able to sit outside at those cafes. One or two days there were a few hardy Parisians sitting out, but we never had weather anywhere near the 70s. I'd say low 40s was more like it. You can certainly survive and enjoy Paris in either season, but if I were you and could afford it, I'd opt for June. We've decided that our next trip there will be in better weather. And, we live in Minneapolis.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 05:05 AM

Since my husband is a teacher we are limited as to the times we can travel. We have been going to France the last few years in March. The weather has ranged from cool and overcast to sunny and warm. I guess we have been lucky that it has never been too cold to sit outside in a cafe especially since they have heaters. Throughout the year Air France usually has sales for travel through March 31st. We find that the sale in May is usually best.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Original Poster

Hi AGM_Cape_Cod,

Yeah, my husband's a teacher too, so it limits somewhat when we can go.

Thanks for your reply!

Tara
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 03:48 PM

You can compensate for the high priced June fares by renting an inexpensive apartment or hotel and vowing to eat inexpensive breakfasts and lunches.

Or you can get the low priced March fares and splurge a little on hotel and food... Either way you win.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Have been in Paris in both November nad March and while it was chilly it wasn;t really cold. It did rain some on and off - but not enough to keep you inside.

That said, being from New York I'm used to walkng (versus driving only) in the rain and I would much rather have temps of 50 than 80 for touring around. Only you can decide what weather is tolerable - or not - for you.
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks NYTRAVELER! Good thought that I didn't think of...I lived in NYC for 10 years and know exactly what you mean.

Tara
Old Mar 28th, 2007, 04:50 PM

namaka,

Where are you finding those fares from SFO to Paris during the high season?

Which airlines? What class of fares?

Are you getting FF on those flights?

As for March vs. June, I flew through CDG last Saturday. On the tarmac, it was about 32 degrees at around 9:30 AM.

If it stays dry, you might be able to deal with it (but you have to pack more heavy clothes). If it rains, a real drag, probably slows you down from going to as many places as you might want.

I like offseason travel too. But in March, I go to Spain or maybe Italy, save Paris for July (June tends to be wetter).
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:22 AM

scrb,
Coincidently (or not), I found both of those fares in Feb. It was Feb 2006 that I was alerted to the sale from Travelocity. It was already after I had already paid 1100.00, but wanted to see what airlines,dates, etc. I could've booked the same fare (economy) on the same flight with the same airline (Virgin) for 253.00+taxes/fees.

This Feb., a kind poster alerted me to a United sale which I booked for the 554.00 from SFO to CDG. It too is for economy and is on United. I did not use ff miles. Oh and it is for Aug.

I tend to check fares everyday and have seen some good ones on Sunday mornings. Maybe a fluke?
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I get the Travelocity notifications too but it's usually for off-season travel and you have to fly in the middle of the week.

That would cause me to take extra vacation days, which wouldn't be worth the few hundred in savings.

A lot of sales, AF has them too, are for departures from the East Coast. When you pick SFO, then the price changes.

I do like the buy tickets months ahead, typically over 6 months. But yeah there are some sales at the last minute. I may have to try that one year.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:02 PM

Most often it is for off season travel but for both of these past sales, it included high season.

You are right; it is for mid-week travel and for me, it's no big deal as I get 5 weeks a year,plus I can carry over up to 12wks so I'd rather save on the fare.

Old Mar 29th, 2007, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,

Thanks again for all of your replies! So, the opinions on March vs. June seem to be split down the middle. Rain would be more annoying than the cold (for me) and from what I have researched; June gets more rain than March. Am I right?

Tara
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 01:13 PM

tarajane,
I was in Paris mid June of last year. The weather was perfect. Probably 75-80. We only got rain one night and it was only while we were sleeping so it didn't affect us at all. If given a choice, I'd go for June in a heartbeat.
Old Mar 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM

As to weather at different times, I always check http://www.intellicast.com
and click on history for the city and month and then I know what to expect and what to wear. However, there is always the chance for a heat wave in October when all I have packed are sweaters!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -