Paris Marais Apartment – Decision help please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 06:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an apartment already booked for 7 nights on Rue Charlot http://www.vrbo.com/49273 but we have just discovered another one that may actually work better for us. This one is Rue Bailly http://www.vrbo.com/100027

We still have time to change any thoughts on location between the two?

Thanks for any help.

Eileen

Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:01 AM

Are you getting a break on the price for the second apt? And are there just two of you? Rue Baily looks more expensive (since I don't know your dates) but it's larger and has a nice dining area, couch looks comfortable. It appears that you'll have one flight of stairs, however, (maybe two short flights if they're split) for that second apartment. The dishwasher is convenient but if you just have a few cups and plates it's actually easier/faster to just do those by hand.

The neighborhood around Rue Charlot is cute and charming (and quiet) and the shops and services available on Rue du Bretagne are very convenient. I also like the French doors for this unit and this apt might even get more light than Rue Baily despite it being on the ground floor. I'd probably stick with this one, ESP. if it's cheaper. Having an oven is nice for the midnight snack that requires reheating a croissant or quickly broiling a pinched piece of prosciutto on a baguette slice that's been rubbed with raw garlic (a favorite midnight snack, great with a bowl of olives). I missed having at least a toaster oven in the studio I rented around the corner from Rue Charlot.
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Hi Fishee,

Thanks for your input here. We are renting at the end of May. The reasons we may want to switch to Rue Bailly is the the owners who are very nice are going to negotiate the price, there is a separate bedroom and it's close to a metro. We are not concerned so much about the stairs. Concern is noise.

Rue Charolt area does look charming. I know about the great market around the corner too. Concern of transportation ease.

I saw that you stayed in this area, loved your posts!!!

I'll let you know what I decide, and I have to do it soon!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 10:43 AM

Just looked at my map and you're literally 1 block over from where I was staying (22-ish Rue Saintonge). Unless you have mobility issues, the metro was a pleasant 5 minute walk and it was pretty effortless, even with my luggage.

The #4 Metro line did require transferring so for many sights, the 96 bus on Bretagne and Turenne (3 short blocks away) dropped me off at Chatlet, Palais Justice, St. Germain/St. Michel. It was nice to see the city above ground. You could also transfer from the 96 at several points to the wonderful Bus 69 for a great tour right through the Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Invalides, etc. An ulimited bus pass is essential or like me, you'll use a ton of metro tickets. But I thought transportation was a breeze in that area.

Have a great trip, I'm so envious!
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:35 PM

hey, someone help ecat -- where did all the apt. detectives go?
Old Jan 3rd, 2007, 02:58 PM

I can't really comment on the difference of the two locations as I didn't explore them that far. But the first one is on a ground floor facing a garden while the other is on the third floor with no elevator (American). Right? While the second one has a separate bedroom, I think the first one will actually feel much larger and still has a proper sitting area with a nice sofa (I think). But here's the biggie for me -- give up the stone walls and the beams of the first one? No way. That MAKES that apartment for me, which seems to ooze a lot more character than the second one.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 09:39 AM

I would choose the one on Rue Bailly myself, it looks nicer to me and isn't a studio, but mainly because I would not want to book a ground floor apartment. Ever. Not only for security reasons, but I don't want people walking around right outside my windows. It also looks sort of like a basement or garage in part, due to that stone wall and no windows in that area. It reminds me of all the hotels that have breakfast rooms in the basement. I just don't like it that much.

I wouldn't care at all about the elevator issue at that level, I'd decide on other things.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 11:28 AM

Christina, that's interesting as I normally wouldn't want a ground floor flat either, at lease one where people walk by. I get the impression that this is very private to the garden,however, and I wouldn't think there is any "traffic" even of people. And it sure looks to me like there are two huge windows in that area. Look at the exterior pictures. I think the interior photo is taken from an angle that doesn't show the two big windows that would be on the left. Stone walls do not a basement make in Paris in my humble opinion. I love stone walls -- maybe that's just me.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone! We are going to switch to Rue Bailly and here are the main reasons.

1) Bedroom - not a studio
2) Location with better access to metro
3) Upstairs with a view
4) Lovely looking bathroom
5) Closet space
5) Very kind owners

The Rue Charlot studio looks lovely. I have heard reviews that is a very good studio, very secure even being on the ground. I know it would be perfect for someone but I think the Bailly is better for us. I only wish I could try them both. Communication was wonderful with this owner too.

Thanks again all,

Eileen
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 01:42 PM

Both look OK, but I would go with the first one (49273) becasue of its ground floor location. It is not open onto the street, but rather into the interior courtyard, and having that garden view out the windows more than makes up for the slightly smaller size than the second unit.
Old Jan 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
Original Poster

Just canceled the vroo49273 - so it's available 5/26 if anyone is interested. I was really torn because it has gotten good reviews, Chris the owner is very helpful but I'm sticking to my guns!

Thanks again all,

Eileen

Old Jan 4th, 2007, 08:19 PM

It's such a relief to make the commitment and you can move on to other aspects of planning your trip. Your chosen apartment looks quite elegant, hope you both love it. How come you won't tell us the discounted rate they gave you -- Please?

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

fishee,

Yes it does feel good to have gotten that decision made. Now we can move on and obsess other plans.

I was quiet about it but the owner of rue bailly matched the rue charlot rate. Thanks for your help in topping my question while I figured the area/apartment dilemma out.

Eileen

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:39 AM

ecat: Hello, I just emailed you to ask you a question about the Rue Charlot apartment before I realized that you had changed it. If you could, can you still please respond to my email? Thank you so much!