Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Paris London questions for research paper HELP!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

I am doing a research paper on how a family can travel to London and Paris and not spend a fortune. After doing a lot of research I do have a lot of info but I want the insiders tips, where to eat, what to do and ways to save money. I know there are a lot of free places but maybe you know of a specail place young kids would like.

Thanks for any help!

Momof5 to old to be going to college
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 11:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Momof5,
Firstly, you are never too old to learn! Take it from me, I went back to school when everyone else was half of my age. It felt strange but was really worthwhile.

Some tips for saving money - always book trains, buses and flights ahead of time. The earlier you book, the cheaper the tickets will be. This is true for Eurostar, between London and Paris, for Easyjet or Ryanair flights (and others of course), for train trips to Canterbury or Oxford etc etc.

Book somewhere to stay where you can make a simple meal. Apartments that have a fridge and microwave mean you have make your own breakfast and a simple lunch or dinner and save lots.

In London, buy an Oyster Card for public transport and save heaps over the cost of buying individual tickets. With an Oyster, you just swipe your card - easy and cheaper. If you want to check actual costs, check on www.tfl.gov.uk

Good luck with your paper!
Kay
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:01 AM

In London there are tonnes of sandwich shops to grab a cheap bite to eat. Pret, EAT etc. If you eat out you save the 17% VAT so grab something and have a picnic in the park!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 12:18 AM

Is this "research paper" specifically about young children?

Could you say more about the "research paper". I'm fascinated. Do you get some kind of qualification afterwards? And what would that be?

Seems strange to me that you can consider writing such without going there yourself.

Are other peoples' unvalidated opinions sufficient? If they are seems like an odd exercise to me.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 04:46 AM

I was wondering what type of class this could be that gives college credit for writing about travel tips to Paris and London from anonymous folks on the internet. That would be an interesting footnote.

If this is real, (I can imagine some community college perhaps having a course for travel agents doing this, there is one where I live that has some credential like that), the folks on Fodors are no more insiders or likely to have good tips than any other place you can find on the internet, such as websites dedicated to the topic. There are entire books on this topic which are published by travel book publishers -- Frommers or Fodors, etc., I know I've seen books about travel with children.

Most any park in Paris and London is free (all I know), and kids like parks, so that would be one obvious choice. Any decent guidebook should mention some of the main ones, and perhaps their appeal to children (eg, Andre Citroen in Paris).
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:07 AM

I think you should give us more information on this paper. Where have you done your research? What kind of class is this? Can this be serious??

My tip is to make sure you proofread to eliminate spelling errors! You have at least three major errors in your original query.
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 05:52 AM

I'm wondering if this is one of those multi-disciplinary assignments that combines several skill sets: computer use, research techniques, creativity, planning, etc. That might explain this situation.
I suffered through several of these kinds of assignments, often wondered if the instructor was just using us for grunt work for his/her own enlightenment.
Mom, hope you'll get some more ideas and don't worry about being older. I was in my 40's when I returned to get my teaching credentials and there was an 80 year old man in many of my classes. We all cheered when he graduated at age 81!
Old Nov 8th, 2008, 08:37 PM
Original Poster

Hi

Let me clarify it is a research paper for English 2010. I have it mostly done but just thought I might find out about a restaurant, place or thing to do that I did not read about in the 10 books I read. Yes I have been to both places (loved them) but without children. I do want to take mine.

My question I am to answer (that I was allowed to choose) is how to take a family to Europe useing points for the hotel and airplane, go as cheaply as we can but still have a good time and visit great sites or something like that.

Some kids in my class are doing deep papers, cancer, homosexuality and the family, aids while I am a busy mom of 5 and know about travel and thought I could research these papers more enoyable. I have a great teacher, and she said it was ok.

Sorry for the spelling errors as I type fast and am sick of checking my spelling I have been doing it for days. I am surprised at the analysis of my question instead of just answering it.

I have found that most Fodorites are very smart and DO know tips others have not. I just wanted to verify that I did not leave anything out. For example I would like to know that names of a few inexpensive cafe's to eat at by the Cite de Science museum in Paris??

Anyways sorry if this freaked anyone out just a regular english class, last week we did papers on a Japenese American prison camp in Utah. Thank you for any advice and your time! Very grateful am I and sorry for spelling errors.

Momof5 that is tired of English.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 03:57 AM

Momof5 - I'm surprised that you're being questioned, too. Some people are very suspicious.

Agree about the sandwich shops in London - that's what I do when I'm rushing from one place to another.

I also think renting a flat is worth it as meals can be eaten there instead of restaurants. Even when I'm on my own, I've done it.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 03:59 AM

Mom,
I sure hope you don't think I was being critical of YOU. I was just giving out a possible explanation for this type of assignment, given I had several of those myself.
And I congratulate you for having the good sense to do a paper like this, rather than some of the topics you mentioned. Being a mother of 5, I'm sure you have plenty to do and getting into some of the deep, dark subjects could be draining. If you HAVE to do those, fine, if not, why not do something useful to many, including yourself?
I type fast, also, and have gotten into the habit of relying on spell check, which I don't think this site has, but goodness, don't worry about that, some posters nit-pick everything. Most are great, helpful and knowledgeable.
Hope you'll be getting lots of good information now that the GREAT MYSTERY has been solved about this assignment.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 09:29 AM

I don't think anyone visiting the Cité de Science need be looking for cheap cafés. First off, the place is rather large and takes a good part of a day to see, which means most folks will choose to eat at the onsite café there. Second, it's not much of a neigborhood for walking around and sightseeing.

I guess if you wanted to visit the Cité de Science and then go wandering around a bit, you'd head for the Buttes Chaumont. There are some inexpensive cafés up there, but I can't name any of them, and I don't think any would be much more memorable than a meal in the restaurant at the Cité itself.

Perhaps a resident Parisian will know of something.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
We traveled to London and Paris with our grandchildren 11 and 14 and rented apartments in both cities.We purchased tickets online to dave money whenpossible and bought our London-Paris tickets far in advance. The kids had input into what they want ed to see.
LONDON-One of their top favorites was The British Museum ( free); we had to drag them out when the adults became too tired to continue; they also loved seeing the various Harry Potter sites such as the Kings Cross station train tracks(Free.) The 11 year old boy especially enjoyed The Tower of London(not free)and they both were thrilled with the Changing of the Guard at Buckingham Palace(free). The history of Westiminster Abbey captivated both of them(not free.)
FOOD: In addition to the Food Halls, their favorite meal was at the Laughing Halibut, a recommendation from a guard at Westminster Abbey. It was a simple, inexpensive local spot with fresh fish and chips.
Both of them loved Harrod's Food Halls and rated their hot fudge sundaes the best they have ever had.
PARIS: Food: They wanted the delicious meat and cheese filled baguettes that you see in store windows for dinner almost every night instead of going out with us. Crepes, both savory and sweet were also hits. Add ice cream from Berthillon as a daily treat too.
Museums: They really liked Musee d'Orsay but loved L'Orangerie which was their favorite.
The sailboats at the pond in the Luxembourg Gardens were fun for them and watching street performers in front of the Pompidou Center. The boy loved the Army Museum at Les Invalides and seeing Napoleon's Tomb. We bought two day museum passes for the adults but the kids were free. Our granddaughter loved shopping at the street fairs(inexpensive.)Riding the trains on the Underground in London and the Metro in Paris were fun experiences for them too. We have been to both cities several times but seeing these places through their eyes was a special experience for us.
Rick Steves' LONDON and PARIS guide books both have excellent chapters on sights and activities for kids.
Good luck with this project.
Old Nov 9th, 2008, 06:52 PM

Sorry Momof5

I have to know: how are you going to reference tips from Fodorites?

Signed,

Retired Writing Instructor
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 02:13 AM

Wishing you luck Momof5 but fascinated by the topic you were given.

"how to take a family to Europe useing points for the hotel and airplane, go as cheaply as we can but still have a good time and visit great sites or something like that."

ON POINTS is what caught my eye.

The implication is that it has to be done on the cheap, but to have enough points to take a family to Europe you must have spent a hell of a lot of money earning them. So in a nutshell, I don't get it.

Might it not be more economic not to spend what you don't need to spend to earn "points" and just travel to Europe as a points-free person. There are budget flights and budget hotels.

That would be my suggestion for the assignment. I believe the word is "deconstruct". Yep, deconstruct it - turn it on its head.

And if you do, let us know how it was received. I was always taught that you could say anything you liked as long as you had the arguments to back it up.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:29 AM

afterall - good point (pun intended) but applies only of the points were earned via things paid for by the traveler(s). More common is that the traveler accumulates points on expenses covered by an employer or other purchases that would be made regardless of the point accumulation.
Momof5 -
here's my contribution:
1. apartment instead of hotel - more room, usually cheaper lodging and savings on breakfast, maybe other meals, even able to save on things like bottled water by purchasing at a grocery instead of a kiosk
2. Food - picnics, meals at the apartment, street food (crepes, sandwiches)
3. Fun - parks are free, kids love them. Walking is free and allows one to see more than traveling underground.
Old Nov 10th, 2008, 07:39 AM

I don't know how to use or amass points, but I am good at saving money. In Paris, you can go to the museums on "free" days (Louvre, Musee d'Orsay, etc. - check their websites) if you don't mind crowds, and it might be a good idea to travel in other than the high season. Street food is good (from daily or weekly markets), as are sandwiches and other things from boulangeries instead of going to restaurants. Young kids like the various parks (a good one that always seems to be full of French families is at the Place d'Anvers, which has a great Friday afternoon/evening market). One surprising way to "save" money is to attend the markets close to their hours of closing - I ordered a couple of shish kebabs at the Bastille market and the lady gave me three - a "cadeau" because she didn't want to waste it! Also, I used the Carte Orange rather than buying individual metro tickets, but this is only useful if you will be staying a week, I decided - you should check this out before including it in your paper. Good luck!
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for the great replies.

First Tuscanlifeedit, I a not using Fodorites in my citations as I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track, and so far I am. I have already turned in my rough draft. I thought I would get an idea of restaurants I did not know about. I did include already store shopping, I would bring plastic bowls and spoons and pick up ceral and milk for breafast daily in the room. Did this and it was fine. I have spent many days researching and worried I left something out.

Challiman, I was not offended by you at all. I ment to say that in the last thread. You were very supportive. Thanks!

I thought of using points when my classmates suggested it, they heard that is how I travel. Yes I do accrue alot more then the normal person, but I pay everything that way, even materials from hubby's business. And have not traveled in a year so they have really gathered up. My hubby will only travel this way, he says if we have them why am I paying? I will tell you what hurt me in my agruement is the fee's and taxes Delta skymiles charges. Outrageous!! Suggestions anyone?

If my teacher approves it I may I may change it to a apartment instead of hotel, though they were points used for it.

I put in my paper about Carte orange, and a London one cannot remember it know. Is there a London pass that one can buy ahead to save money?

Also thank you happytrvler, I did include a small portion of day for a trip to British Museum will know expand it.

By the way I know that Europe is procey, dah, that is why the kids have not gone yet. heck I do not go that often, but I thought it would motivate me to take them. Still pricey after adding it all up it still fell between $3-4 grand. I am not sure if I did the exchange rate correctly. Had a friend say he took his family to Hawaii with 5 kids and it cost him almost 10,000 when he was done and he stayed at a cheap condo and hung ont ehbeach. With kids it was pricey. So he thought my price for a family of 7 was not bad.

Anyways keep those thoughts a rolling and thanks for letting me vent!

Mom that is sick of Paris and London. and I will let you know when I fail this paper.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 05:11 AM
yk

<i> Is there a London pass that one can buy ahead to save money?</i>

No.

If you click on my screen name, you can find my recent Trip Report to London. Towards the end of my trip report, I have a section on <b>Money-saving tips</b>, as well as the trip cost total with detailed breakdown of my expenses.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 11:24 AM

The best way not to spend a fortune is to swap your house for an apartment in London or Paris on Craigslist! I've done it four times; lots of people have done it many more times than that.
Old Nov 11th, 2008, 12:38 PM

Nancy,
I'm rather interested in your house swapping success. I am guessing you live in a place that would be attractive to Europeans wanting to visit the US. Since I live in a medium sized town in the Midwest, no big tourist attractions, landscapes, etc., that would be of great interest,I think I'd have difficulty getting someone to swap with me. But, I could be wrong.
Could you give a little more information? Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -