PARIS LODGING

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:16 PM
kRIS

PARIS LODGING

MY HUSBAND AND I ARE PLANNING A FIRST TIME TRIP TO PARIS IN THE SPRING (APRIL TO MAY). CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A GOOD AREA OR PLACE TO STAY FOR 2 "OLDER" TRAVELERS, WHO HAVE DIFFICULTY WITH STAIRS BUT DON'T MIND WALKING TO SIGHTS?

Old Jul 15th, 2001, 07:34 PM
Rex

I have never felt all that confident recommending hotels in Paris, but I can tell you the following about Hotel Royal Elysees - - http://home.worldnet.fr/~royalely/English/ - - it DOES have an elevator, and its location right AT l'Etoile (Arc de Triomphe) means that you have easier-than-average access to the best Metro connections to EVERYwhere in Paris - - scarcely 100 yards away.

From a previous message I posted about:

I stayed at the Royal Elysees in 1992 and again in 1994. It is typical of many comparable hotels in Paris - - hardly any lobby - - and the rooms are small.

But nothing is "incompetent", and the location is so stunningly good.

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 01:43 PM
Rex

topping - - to give the real questions a fighting chance

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 02:27 PM
Lori

I recommend the Hotel Relais Bosquet in the 7th Arr. We stayed there in April (superior room, #53, nice sized room with remodeled bathroom) and enjoyed the hotel a great deal. They have a small elevator so you don't have to contend with the stairs! Do a search for my review of this hotel, it's a very pleasant place to stay. They also have a website. We've stayed in many hotels in Paris over the years and enjoyed the location of this one (right off Rue Cler and l.5 blocks from Ecole Militaire Metro stop) a great deal. We also had a view of the Eiffel Tower from our room. You can easily walk to the Eiffel Tower, Invalides. The 7th Arr is primarily residential and it is a nice neighborhood to be in.

Another one I'd recommend is the Best Western Residence Trocadero (all BW's in Europe are individual hotels, mostly small who belong to the BW marketing program & can be seen on BW's website). This hotel has fairly small rooms (but large bathroom in the room we had, #23 or 22 I think it was) It's a nice location on the Trocadero right in front of the Eiffel Tower. The Metro is right next door, just a couple of steps! No matter where you stay in Paris you will be close to some sights but not others. There are a fair amount of stairs in the Metro but buses can be used as a substitute, they may be slower but you do get to see more! Paris is really not a large city (compared to London, NY, LA, etc.) and it is pretty easy to get around.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:33 PM
Donna

Here's another recommendation for staying in the 7th. There are numerous moderately priced, and very nice, hotels. You can bus all over Paris from Place de l'Ecole Militaire (the metro is chock full of hallways and stairways). Rue Cler of Rick Steves fames is located in this neighborhood. It's more a residential neighborhood, which is very quiet at night, but still full of wonderful, reasonably priced, restaurants, lots of shops, and everything you need nearby (post office, pharmacies, taxi stands, etc.) for a lovely visit in Paris. Note: If you have a choice between April and May, the later in May you go the better to avoid rainy weather and for pleasant temperatures with the flowers in bloom all over.

Old Jul 20th, 2001, 03:58 PM
Book Chick

Kris,
I think the poster prior to me have given good advice. I am a fan of the 7th er, & have a list of hotels in that arrondisement (not too far away from the Eiffel Tower) that have elevators.
Don't know about all (haven't stayed at all), but do know they have elevators. Perhaps if you're interested in the 7th arrondisement, you can research some off this list:

Hotel du Cadran
Hotel Grand Leveque
Hotel La Serre
Hotel Relais Bosquet
Hotel Londres Eiffel
Hotel Bourgogne & Montand
Hotel Prince
Les Jardins d'Eiffel

Best Wishes for a good trip,
BC

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 12:27 PM
Christina

Most any Parisian hotel 2 star (and def. above that, it's required) will have an elevator, so that's not a problem. Other than that, your problems might come with public transportation, so either walk, take a cab, or take buses if you have stair problems as the metro has lots of stairs just about everywhere.

Old Jul 23rd, 2001, 10:32 PM
Patti Suttle

Just back from Paris and loved it! We stayed at The Hotel Muguet in the 7th and that area is nice and I agree with
Donna about the area. The Hotel Muguet also has an elevator-which goes to the 5th floor (we stayed on the 6th). It is a lovely hotel with nice, clean rooms and great hugh bathtowels!
One other thing I might add is that almost all the restaurants we went to had their restrooms downstairs. So, just keep that in mind.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:04 AM
Christina

oh, I realized you also asked for specific area recommendations? well, in addition to the 7th area others suggested (and I think that's good), I'd also suggest you consider the 5th arrondisement around Luxembourg RER/metro stop. That is within walking distance of the Seine/Notre Dame/Iles, and that RER stop has an escalator and is not too hectic and there are several bus lines that stop right across the street at Luxembourg Gardens (which are also pleasant to walk in and visit), so I think it would also be very convenient for something who wants to avoid stairs. there are several reasonable, often-recommended hotels within walking distance of that stop, also (Hotel du Pantheon, Hotel des Grandes Hommes, Grand Hotel St-Michel, Hotel St-Louis, etc.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:31 AM
Surlok

I'd recommend you staying in the 6eme, instead. It's right in the middle of everything. From there, you can walk to Notre Dame, Louvre, Musee D'Orsay, Jardin de Luxembourg, the Tulleries, the Eiffel Tower, the Marais, etc. It's more centrallly located the 7eme, and a little more upscale than the 5eme, or Latin Quarter, which can be noisy at times.

There are many hotels that I can recommned:

Hotel Regent ( book a superior room)
Hotel Dauphine St. Germain
Hotel des Deux Continents
Hotel Madison (4 stars)
Hotel d' Aubusson (4 stars)
Hotel Relais St. Germain (4 stars)

Unfortunately, I lost all of my bookmarks ( I let my grand daughter to play with my keyboard), but it won't be difficult to find them on Google.

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 10:58 AM
elaine

Hi
How much did you want to spend per night?

I have to vote for the 6th, or the 1st.
I don't know which sights you have in mind, but from the 6th it is about a 20-mnute walk to Notre Dame/Conciergerie//St Chapelle, and about a half-hour walk to the Louvre.
In the first, you can be 1-15 minute walk from the Louvre, longer to the Eiffel Tower but very pleasant by walking up the Champs Elysees.

Christina's advice about the 5th is also good, esp. if you are looking for a budget hotel, and then there's that information about the escalator. Still, as Christina also said,
the metro can be taxing regarding stairs to and from street level, not to mention long corridors within some of the larger stations. Buses and taxis are also available from almost any area, bit buses can be slow.
I have a large file on Paris; if you'd like to see it, email me

Old Jul 24th, 2001, 12:18 PM
s.fowler

How about Hotel Bersoly's -- they have an elevator. They're in the 7th but one block from the 6th -- the river, louvre and musee d'orsay as well as St. Germain are 3-4 blocks away.